Author Topic: So, if I left tomorrow, where should I go?  (Read 5875 times)

Offline HerrDreyer

• Reader
So, if I left tomorrow, where should I go?
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »
Say I just decided to leave out tomorrow, where should I go? Just kinda throwing this out there.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: So, if I left tomorrow, where should I go?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
How long is a piece of string and how far can you push it?

That's not a question that can be answered by anyone but you.

If you want to come to Wyoming, the usual answer is to actually get here first, look for a job and a place to live, and go from there. Some come for a visit or several, and some just come. Most make an effort to get to know people ahead of time in at least one or more areas they think they might want to settle in. That way you already have neighbors when you get here.

However you do it... count on it being scary in some ways, more difficult than you thought, cost more than you thought, and sometimes uncomfortable when your old habits or expectations are challenged.

If you want to come bad enough, none of those things will really matter much. And if they do... you just have to deal with it or go back. I don't know what else to tell you - except that we've all been there and done that (except for those who were here already, of course.  ;D )

Hope you come. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Hey y'all!
I was just wondering how many here on the forum are originally from Wyoming & not transplants? It just seems as if most here are from somewhere else & decided to move out there.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »
How much money you got/need?  Gonna play, work, or education or a bit of each?

Play...head to Jackson, wait tables, go homeless/camp & hike (for another few weeks) & ski till your hearts content.

Work...head to an energy play-area (Gillette, Rock Springs, etc.) get on as a laborer ($13/hr or so...usually with OT available), learn the trade and work your way up, keep your expenses low and migrate around to see where you want to settle.

Education...head to Laramie or one of the bigger cities (pop: +10K) and get into the community/junior college VoTech programs.

If you are willing to commit, got a good head on your shoulders, keep your word & just show up...your Wyoming experience and more liberty awaits your decision.

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline laramierancher

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »
Hey y'all!
I was just wondering how many here on the forum are originally from Wyoming & not transplants? It just seems as if most here are from somewhere else & decided to move out there.
Most of us have no choice of where we're born.  We do have a choice where we live!

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Most on the forum relocated because we were not blessed to be born here...in fact, even a high % of relocators drop off the forum once here cause there are so many other things to do.  While others may do the same, I personally stay active here as an outreach for other interested movers...

What is the goal of Free State Wyoming?
To encourage, assist, and reward the migration of liberty-minded Americans to Wyoming in order to maintain and further its relative laissez-faire Western culture...

If you're already here not much migrating to do...

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith

Offline sunny225

• FSW Associate
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
so, does that mean none of you who answered my query were born & raised there? I'm just curious as to what the folks who actually were born there think of this freedom state project.

Offline laramierancher

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
I first moved to Wyoming in 1968 when I was but a lad.  My kids were born and raised in Wyoming.  Does that count????

Offline Wyomingite4Freedom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »
so, does that mean none of you who answered my query were born & raised there? I'm just curious as to what the folks who actually were born there think of this freedom state project.

I was raised and have lived in Wyoming since I was 8 years old...(born in Nebraska) I happened to stumble across the FSW purely by accident, but I am in full support of what FSW stands for, and it's great to meet like minded individuals.  I am absolutely happy that more freedom loving individuals are coming this way. 

The general attitude that many locals have is that Wyoming is being invaded by Kalifornians and Greenies (Coloradoans that hailed originally from Kalifornia) that wanted to bring their statist ways with them.  Also, the migrant workers that never migrated back home seem to be in abundance.  And of course some of the "boom town" types that bring their suffering with them, i.e. welfare cases from MI.  So, IMO, it is great that more liberty oriented migrations are occurring, helping to balance out the other less desireable invasions that Wyoming is enduring.

Unfortunately, the liberty migration is more difficult to notice as having an impact on communities, but hopefully that will change in the near future!

So bring on the people that truly want to be "free-er!" :)

To answer HerrDreyer's question -- Laramie is my preference for a young person...the jobs don't pay as much...but you are also more likely to meet a nice single girl there...Gillette...the men outnumber the ladies...jobs pay better -- but cost of living is higher...what's your priority?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:36:53 PM by Wyomingite4Freedom »
In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.  When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »
To answer Sunny's question, my husband is from Wyoming, I'm from Iowa, and we're in Iowa for the time being.

My husband's parents moved to Wyoming 50 years ago, one from WI and one from MO.

My take on my husband's family in Wyoming is they are probably unaware of the movement. 

My husband left Wyo to pursue his engineering career.  We want to go back for liberty.  Looking to pay off our debts with Iowa wages before taking the pay-cuts we are anticipating with the move. 

Sorry that HerrDreyer's thread seems to have been hijacked; my answer to his question is that personally I love the Big Horn Basin, but it's where my in-laws are so I'm biased  :)
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »

So, I'm thinking billboard.  On I-25 just inside the line where it's plainly visible to northbound traffic:

Welcome to Wyoming - Land of Liberty!

If you stand up for Constitutional Liberty, make yourself at home.

If you feel the government needs to do something FOR you,
                  Please take the next exit marked "U-TURN."
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline Seniortech

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
What a wonderful idea!
Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
A. Einstein

Offline Scots

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
After reading “The 5000 Year Leap – Principles of Freedom 101”, I (We) need to be in Wyoming – we want our children to participate in the experiment of the Free State Project (which I have known about for the last 8 years) to develop the pioneering sprit (which they have begun because of homeschooling) and to love the freedom that was started so long ago.

I really liked MamaLiberty’s statement: “If you want to come bad enough, none of those things will really matter much”.

If we were better prepared, we  would be bringing all of our belongings with us on our trip to the NE corner – but we have a house to sell and a small business to move.

For us it is 11:57AM. Time to get out of Dodge – Wyoming or bust. I believe time is short.

TexasGirl, great idea for that billboard - just loved it.
"Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war."
- Gaelic Proverb

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »
If anybody in the Cheyenne area can get a phone number for a billboard that is already up...please forward it.  These are the ideas that I love!

Also if anyone in Crook/Sheridan/etc. will do the same...I smell a liberty-marketing expansion idea!!  Thanks TG!

Sunny...specifically, I have found 9 out of 10 Wyoming people to love liberty (though at varying levels).  I have not even told them about FSW because they are already here and the FSW-concept wants people to MOVE, once you are already here pick up your chosen liberty-torch and carry it within other local groups/associations/activities.

Also...if nobody moved to Wyoming, there'd only be like six mountain men and a few tribes within the borders I think...not sure what the point of your question is, but Wyo4Freedom answered it pretty well as to the general attitude of "what others think" (not that it should matter if you truly want more freedom).

MANUMIT

Offline V2Dream

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:16:34 AM »
Hey great signage Texas Girl!

Herr Dreyer-so have you left yet?  Have you decided on where to go???

Just askin

lindab
To stop dreaming is to stop living.
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"