Author Topic: What to do when the wife hates snow.  (Read 9224 times)

Offline davidlachnicht

What to do when the wife hates snow.
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
The wife loves the idea of FSW, but she is no fan of snow.
Looking for suggestions to convince her it's time to go (snow-related, please).
Thanks.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: What to do when the wife hates snow.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
I lived all my life in the southern California desert. I wasn't looking forward to cold and snow either. But freedom was far more important than the temperature. I'm glad to report that I don't really mind the cold or snow now either. I adjusted.

It's all relative, and mostly relative to what is important in your life.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Wyomingite4Freedom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
Well...

There's snuggling in front of a roaring fire when the wind and snow is blowing, building snowmen, snow angels, skiing snowboarding, snowmobiling, sledding, ice fishing.  If it snows enough, they close the roads so you don't have to go to work - then get to stay home with your family...

That's all I can think of...... :)
In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.  When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Look at it this way. MILLIONS of people in the U.S. live in the East, the Midwest, the Mountain states, and Northern Plains.

It's not as if WY was above the arctic circle and was really at the 99th percentile of hostile weather. No, people adjust and adapt to it. If you live in a city where roads are plowed, sanded, and salted, and sidewalks are cleared, then there's really not that much impact.

What we don't have is floods (usually), hurricanes, sandstorms, tornadoes (usually), or perpetual rain (like the Northwest).

I used to live in So. Nevada. I find the heat was at least as oppressive as the winter climate is here.

Different strokes for different folks. Which is more important? Freedom (relatively), low taxes, low cost of living, courteous people, wide open spaces, little traffic, and people who speak English, or climate? You decide.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Jackpot

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
My wife is from Tucson and she's adjusted just fine.
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey

Offline laramierancher

• Social Type
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Snow?  Eastern Wyoming doesn't get snow, it gets snirt.

And thanks to the low humidity, most of the snirt evaporates within days of falling.

Offline LibertyJunkie

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
Is she into shopping? You could offer to buy her some really cute winter clothes.  A fur(fake or real) lined coat? Some sweaters? Fur boots?  Whatever she might be into....

Offline biathlon

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:08 PM »
Whadya mean? Snow is FUUUNNN!!! Skiing is a real good excuse to buy a really cool new wardrobe too. >:D Hot toddies, gluvine, toasty fire,  hey I know,,    buy her a new fur coat and hat.    

Offline Rafi

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »
I hate snow and hot weather. I make the best of either. When it's hot I enjoy a nice beer in the shade and the excuse to not work hard.
When I'm in the snow I do some of what Biathalon suggested.
Year round snow would be a burden, seasonal snow just breaks up the year.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »
Simply read the Good Book to the little lady...

Ephesians 5:22-24 - Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
I hate snow and hot weather. I make the best of either. When it's hot I enjoy a nice beer in the shade and the excuse to not work hard.
When I'm in the snow I do some of what Biathalon suggested.
Year round snow would be a burden, seasonal snow just breaks up the year.

It doesent snow year round. Usually there is no snow in July. :D

Offline leeanndavis

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »
Snow means that you can get all cozy and warm inside.  Light some pine scented candles and feel all snuggly.  Wear fleece and enjoy the winter weather.  Plus...  snow stays outside and you stay in!  You can get all bundled up and do fun things in the snow and then come inside and drink hot chocolate and warm up.  Snow totally rocks!  It is a million times better then Pennsylvanian winter or an Ontario winter.  If you move to a drier part of Wyoming you won't have to deal with snud either!

What is snirt?  Snow + dirt?  That has to be way better than snud.  The nasty ice, snow, dirt things that cling to the bottom of your car and grind whenever you turn a corner.

Offline laramierancher

• Social Type
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:20:44 PM »
snow & dirt = snirt.  Yes, very common, especially in SE Wyoming.  We had many a snow fall where the snow we were receiving started falling in Laramie, but by the time it hit the ground, it was in Cheyenne.  The clouds overhead were dropping snow in western Nebraska.

Offline Stratispho

• Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »
It doesent snow year round. Usually there is no snow in July. :D

"usually"... But I've been up in Star Valley, WY almost every other summer for the last 15 years or so and there were many years that there would be a light snow in July/ August. Never a good idea to go anywhere without making sure the emergency box was in the back seat. The spare jackets can come in real handy. :)
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline jscottdavis04

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:50 AM »
Look at it this way. MILLIONS of people in the U.S. live in the East, the Midwest, the Mountain states, and Northern Plains.

It's not as if WY was above the arctic circle and was really at the 99th percentile of hostile weather. No, people adjust and adapt to it. If you live in a city where roads are plowed, sanded, and salted, and sidewalks are cleared, then there's really not that much impact.

Mac

Very true! I always try to remind people that Wyoming (at least where we are in Wyo) is 2 degrees south of my hometown of Scranton, PA. Rock Springs is also 14 degrees south, or about 1000 miles directly south, of where we used to live in Northern Alberta... yet people here always say to us, "Well, up here in Wyoming the winter's are really hard..." What part of 1000 miles SOUTH did they miss in that statement? lol.

On a more serious note, the winters are dry here. That makes a big difference. We're already down into the 20s and 30s and I barely bother to put on a coat to walk to my car most days. You wouldn't catch me doing that out east. I'm not sure where you're from, but if it's a relatively humid place, cold where you are is not what you're thinking when you think winter here. So, don't just think "winters in X + 1000 = Wyoming." Sure, Wyoming gets colder than most places in the lower 48, but you adapt to it. Your perception of "cold" changes faster than you'd think.

Mostly, I think people make a big deal out of it because they have nothing else to make a big deal of... and it makes them feel tough.

"We exhibit to mankind the remarkable spectacle of a people attacked by unprovoked enemies, without any imputation or even suspicion of offence. They boast of their privileges and civilization, and yet proffer no milder conditions than servitude or death."
-The Continental Congress, 1775