Author Topic: New to FSW and looking to move  (Read 23250 times)

Offline valleyglen

New to FSW and looking to move
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
Hello FSW and all the FSW'ers. I am currently living in West Virginia and hating it. I became interested in Wyoming through an episode of "Lock Down" that showcased Wyoming Department of Corrections Officers. I am a retired U.S. Army NCO and have worked in corrections for about 5 and a half years here in WV. The current regime at our prison is getting to be too much to work for and decided that a pay raise and location change might be nice. When you are forced to live on a credit card to make ends meet, something must happen!

So I am applying to the Department of Corrections in Wyoming and hopefully within the next eight months I will change my truck tags to one that has a cowboy and bucking bronco!

If there is anyone working for the DOC in Wyoming and is a member, I would appreciate some information on where the best chances are to get hired. I am currently the recreation yard supervisor at the state's maximum security prison so I could pretty much work anywhere in the state.

Thanks for any help and I am really looking forward to hearing from any and all who would like to give me a little advice. It will really be nice to live in a state that has people that don't want to live off the state's dime, as that seems to be the prevailing train of thought around here.

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
Re: New to FSW and looking to move
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
Welcome to FSW.

They are always looking for new people in Rawlins... Good reason for that too. in my opinion Rawlins was made just for the prision. It is cold and windy and freezing and windy and dry and did I say windy??

Read this:
http://doc.state.wy.us/about/annual_report.html

It will tell you alot. Rawlins is the place we recomend to the people who we want to leave. :D

By the way I grew up near there and it is a miserable place.

Offline FDNYLiberty

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »

It will tell you alot. Rawlins is the place we recomend to the people who we want to leave. :D

I agree with crappiewy. I was driving across WY and stopped in Rawlins for gasoline. When I opened my car door it almost flew out of my hand. It is WINDY as a Tornado in Rawlins. I did take the time to drive around the town itself, and it was not bad - except that I found the "locals" gas staion was 12 cents less per gallon than the one I filled up right off the hoghway exit in Rawlins.

I suggest that if Rawlins is the only prison in WY, that you consider another line of work. Unless you visit Rawlins before you make the move (which I suggest) it would be a shame that you left one job to go to a place that you may hate. I suggest that you DRIVE (yes, drive - so that you can see the stark difference once you cross the Missouri River) out to WY (during your next vacation) and stop by Rawlins for yourself to check it out and possibly speak to some of the CO's.
Then take your time an drive all around WY.

BTW,  I got a buddy who work for corrections in NJ, and he is counting the days till he can retire and move to WY.

Good luck!

Offline Wyomingite4Freedom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »
Yeah...some of us refer to Rawlins as the "armpit" of Wyoming.... ;D and yes, it is windy as all get out!  However, it is likely still better than where you are...as far as statism goes... :) 
In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.  When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain

Offline Jackpot

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »
Rawlins isnt the only prison anymore.  Wyoming Medium Correctional Institution
  Torrington is a little nicer than Rawlins, so thats a plus, and its only medium security.
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »
Don't forget the Honor Farm in Riverton.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline TexasGirl

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »
Or the (private?) youth facility in Newcastle.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
Don't overlook one of the 23 County Jails too...pull up the county websites & grab the sheriff's phone number...always good to have some respectful liberty-oriented gaolers   ;)

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 01:04:05 PM »
valleyglen wrote:

It will really be nice to live in a state that has people that don't want to live off the state's dime, as that seems to be the prevailing train of thought around here.

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but aren't YOU looking to live off the state's dime as a state employee? Other than wanting to leave W. VA, I don't see anything here espousing our generally shared principles.

Just sayin'.
Comments?

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
Excuse me for pointing out the obvious, but aren't YOU looking to live off the state's dime as a state employee?

I have always been curious about this sentiment.  I take it that working a "government job" is as bad or worse in many of your opinions as living off welfare? 
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 01:51:21 PM »
I used to jump into these "purist" arguments...now I just don't care...though there is a difference from actually working in the system vs. getting gub'mint handouts.  However, I'm not sure which is worse...one you get subsistence wages to do nothing, the other you get paid well/good benie's/pension AND do very little. 

Anyways, get into Wyoming work wherever for whomever and use your position/pay to help build liberty for yourself and those around you in any way that you can/want. 

IMnsHOoc.

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »

Anyways, get into Wyoming work wherever for whomever and use your position/pay to help build liberty for yourself and those around you in any way that you can/want. 

IMnsHOoc.

MANUMIT

Do what you can to get to Wyoming and then you can find a job not working for the government.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
Well, FWIW I worked for the Census this year; and you may rest assured we did not get paid well nor did we have any benefits/pension.  As I saw it, somebody was going to be working those jobs, and it might as well be me who could do it somewhat efficiently/intelligently and with a critical eye.  I know ML will tell me we don't want our government to be efficient  >:D but they could either pay me the $9.00/hour or pay it to several loafing idiots (and we had plenty of those in my office) to accomplish the same thing. 

BTW, welcome valleyglen. 
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »

Interesting question that Mac brought up. Whenever one does 'wake up' there
is going to be some kind of jagged line before bringing physical reality
in line with beliefs. And yet, I couldn't care less whether it's Lisa that gets paid for
collecting an integers worth of information from every door.

I'll go with Harry from Harry Met Sally and skip/dodge the details:

"When you know you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want
the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible".

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »

-----
 As I saw it, somebody was going to be working those jobs, and it might as well be me who could do it somewhat efficiently/intelligently and with a critical eye.  I know ML will tell me we don't want our government to be efficient  >:D but they could either pay me the $9.00/hour or pay it to several loafing idiots (and we had plenty of those in my office) to accomplish the same thing. 

This sounds remotely familiar to a theoretical discussion between two guys and a German death camp.
Hans: I don't know how you can live with yourself working as a guard there bashing the heads of Jewish children!
Fritz: As I saw it, somebody was going to be doing that job, and it might as well be me!

OK, OK, it's not nearly the same thing. I'm just pushing the scenario to the extreme.

There are a lot of good people that work for the government. My original post was mainly in response to NOT hearing anything other than "I want a job in Wyoming working for the state so I can get out of here."

That didn't strike me as being terribly freedom or liberty minded. But then again, I'm not the gatekeeper to WY. I'm just sharing MY opinion.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>