Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 4023 times)

Offline beeman

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
Howdy!
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
Well I've been lurking here for a while so I guess it's time to introduce myself. I'm originally from Texas but have been living in Atlanta,GA since 2004. Moved here to be closer to family. I'm 35 with no kids, married but separated and headed for a divorce. Used to live in Ron Paul's congressional district and went politically from conservative to libertarian around 2001-2002 time frame. It's amazing to me how much things have changed since then both in good ways and bad. I heard of FSW a year or two ago through looking at the FSP in New Hampshire. My wife and I have been wanting to move for a while now and in the last few months I've decided Wyoming is the place for me. I'm a bit of a country boy but not an ignorant hick. I enjoy hunting and fishing so I can't wait for the opportunities that Wyoming provides in that dept. And I enjoy other outdoor activities like shooting trap, gardening, raising animals, camping, etc. Last year I got my first bee hive and had expanded to two this year. Really enjoy that and bummed that I'll have to get rid of them until I get situated in a new place.

My occupational background is 5 years in the Navy as an electronics tech and about half the time since I got out in 99 split between working in IT and working in the oil industry as a field service engineer and offshore ET. I currently work in IT and am looking to get back to the oil field because the pay is better and frankly, I miss it. I have no idea where in Wyoming I plan to end up. I've only driven across it once years ago so need to actually travel it a bit and see. Newcastle looks really nice but given my work situation I'm thinking I will need to be in Casper initially.

My long term plan is to work offshore which would give me a rotation of time off. I'd like to save up and buy some land and then build a small place on it. Doesn't need to be fancy, just adequate and comfortable. I'm underwater on a mortgage right now and I intend for it to be my last. There are more important things in life than sending a good chunk of your hard earned money to a bankers pockets as interest.

So I'm definitely headed for Wyoming. Not sure when but it could be pretty soon depending on how the job search goes. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and contributing in whatever I can to this group.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
Welcome! Lots of oil patch work in lots of places around Wyoming. You should be able to take your pick with that experience behind you.

Hope you can come visit, and especially hope you can follow your dream before things get really sticky...
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:11:05 AM »
Beeman,
Thanks for the nice intro. Nice to know something about folks interested in coming to WY.

We have lots of info and topics already posted here so look around and see what those who have already come here have learned.
Good luck.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline beeman

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure itching to get on the road headed that way. Are there any other FSW folks working in the oil field or am I going to be the first?

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
Why would you have to get rid of your bees? Just truck them up here...
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline beeman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:28:46 PM »
Well it's a long haul and I'm not sure how well they would do being on the road for a few days. Plus I'd need a decent place to put them which I don't have at the moment.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »
Well it's a long haul and I'm not sure how well they would do being on the road for a few days. Plus I'd need a decent place to put them which I don't have at the moment.

ME! ME!! Put them at my place!!! LOL
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline beeman

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
Durn that was a quick response! PM sent. ;)

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
There are some summer hives set up about 3 miles from here on a ranch. I don't know anything about bees.
I have some open grassland next to the creek you could always park them at. I'm at 4,950 ft here at the house and the grass is tall and there are wildflowers everywhere this time of year.

There are some roaming cattle here that might push things over unless they were secured I guess, but you wouldn't be imposing if you parked them here for a year. Last winter it got to -25F though.

Mac

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>