Author Topic: New to FSW and looking to move  (Read 23112 times)

Offline Wyomingite4Freedom

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: New to FSW and looking to move
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »
Well, I had a bit of trouble with the government type jobs (my mom works for Washakie County Assessor's office...we do get into mild discussions on occasion, but my hubby and I do keep her on the liberty-minded side...) I think we have more influence on that local gov't  - as far as planting seeds go, than if we weren't related to the staff ;)

You are who associate with...which can both ways.  You're living in a statist environment now and would like to be in a less statist environment.  As long as those who come to Wyoming keep their associations with us liberty-minded folk - I think they will be just fine, regardless of their occupation.  My guess is the longer you associate with us "free-er" people - it'll be hard to keep your convictions about your job...but hey, getting here is half the battle.  You can change occupations later... ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the forum, BTW!  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:54:42 PM by Wyomingite4Freedom »
In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned.  When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot. ~ Mark Twain

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »
Some other possible food for thought:

So simple, so disturbing  http://www.libertyforall.net/?p=5169
By Larken Rose

1) Can you delegate to someone else a right which you don’t have? For
example, if you don’t have the right to punch me in the nose (just for
fun), can you GIVE the right to do so to someone else?

The answer is self-evident: no, you can’t. If it’s bad for you to do it,
you can’t make it good for someone else to do it, whether it be murder,
assault, theft, vandalism, etc. If it’s immoral for YOU to do something,
how could you possibly have the ability to make it moral for someone
ELSE to do it?
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
Larken's TMDS posts were what originally got me looking into the ideas of liberty. I thought he was a crazy nut job when I first read his stuff and come to find out, I'm just as much of a crazy nut job.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
SIGH.  I'm about ready to go back to lurking on this site.  I try to contribute, but I certainly didn't come here to be compared to a Nazi death camp guard.
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
SIGH.  I'm about ready to go back to lurking on this site.  I try to contribute, but I certainly didn't come here to be compared to a Nazi death camp guard.

Was I being too subtle, Lisa? I'm glad you were the one who got paid to
collect the number of people in each house. Roll the dice in a different year
and I might have been your co-worker. How much closer to a constitutional
job can you get?

Terence

Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »

I don't think that the word "compare" implies the word "equate".  The post clearly stated that this was a reductio ad absurdium. 

If ONE post from ONE member makes you think that you are unwelcome here, I feel sorry for your loss.  For there will be many future postings that you will disagree with, from many other people.  So what?!  Please let me repeat louder.  SO WHAT?!  People will disagree about things and people will miscommunicate and think there is disagreement when there is not.

Such emotion over trifles.  To prove and satisfy the point, I invite others to compare me with a Nazi death camp guard.  Feel free to use your imagination.  And we shall see if I can survive the emotional anguish.  :)

Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »
Yes I understand it was a simile and not meant to be taken literally. That still doesn't mean it made me jump for joy to read it. 

I don't think I'm explicitly "unwelcome" here.  I just don't see why I should spend my time being compared, jokingly or not, to a death camp guard?  That isn't what I came to this forum for.  I was simply trying to point out that working for the government is NOT the same as getting welfare. 
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »
I was simply trying to point out that working for the government is NOT the same as getting welfare. 

I agree 100%! And I apologize if my comments made you feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed. That was not my intent.
I was only trying to point out that the mindset of "somebody's got to do the government job and it might as well be me with the paycheck" can lead to awful situations when taken down the road a little bit.

---------

Now as far as that dirty commie rat rhodges is concerned . . . Doesn't "hodges" mean "death camp guard" in German? I'm sure it does!
 >:D

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
Now as far as that dirty commie rat rhodges is concerned . . . Doesn't "hodges" mean "death camp guard" in German? I'm sure it does!
 >:D

Mac

Don't know about that, but Chertov does mean Son of the Devil in Russian  >:D
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline jscottdavis04

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
Don't know about that, but Chertov does mean Son of the Devil in Russian  >:D

It's true.

But do you know what Obama means in Swahili? "Hodges." The connection probably has something to do with when the Germans colonized Africa...
"We exhibit to mankind the remarkable spectacle of a people attacked by unprovoked enemies, without any imputation or even suspicion of offence. They boast of their privileges and civilization, and yet proffer no milder conditions than servitude or death."
-The Continental Congress, 1775

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »
You guys are good... :)
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline PatriotAR15

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 04:31:22 AM »
Some other possible food for thought:

So simple, so disturbing  http://www.libertyforall.net/?p=5169
By Larken Rose

1) Can you delegate to someone else a right which you don’t have? For
example, if you don’t have the right to punch me in the nose (just for
fun), can you GIVE the right to do so to someone else?

The answer is self-evident: no, you can’t. If it’s bad for you to do it,
you can’t make it good for someone else to do it, whether it be murder,
assault, theft, vandalism, etc. If it’s immoral for YOU to do something,
how could you possibly have the ability to make it moral for someone
ELSE to do it?

Yes... we should release ALL PRISONERS into the General Public... That will solve EVERYTHING!  ::)

(SARCASM INTENDED)

Please. Yes I will admit there are people in prison who dont belong there. But there are many people in there who you would not want to be walking free to become a danger to you and your loved ones.
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Offline PatriotAR15

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 04:48:01 AM »

That was a bit rough in my opinion.  :-\

I think the problem is too many people here have a fantasy that somehow liberty can exist without government. The fact is, without some sort of government,...all your liberties will simply be robbed away by extreme poverty, rampant crime, constant warfare, and the occasional warlord who suddenly wants to fill the "power vacuum". See: Somalia.

But some foolish people actually DREAM about America being like Somalia.  ::)
Thats like admiring a career violent criminal who has gone to jail for rape, murder, theft, and who has never had an honest, stable, job in it's entire life. Somalia is nothing to be admired or held up as any kind of model.... unless you suffer from a SEVERE mental problem.
Happiness is a cold gun, and a warm beer... Also could use a cure for dyslexia. - Jack

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 05:48:19 AM »
Don't think anyone here is talking about "no government." Most of us want voluntary self government (voluntary association and cooperation) rather than tyranny. I don't see the present government doing a whole lot to prevent poverty, crime (them being the greatest criminals) or constant warfare. Which "government" do you see preventing all this, AR?

And Somalia has problems because the ordinary people are unarmed and unable to defend themselves, not because they have no "government." I'm sure they are quite able to govern their own families, tribes and land if so many outside GOVERNMENTS were not fighting tooth and nail to enslave them.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:34 AM »
Don't think anyone here is talking about "no government." Most of us want voluntary self government (voluntary association and cooperation) rather than tyranny.

"voluntary self government" is an oxymoron.  The word "government" implies the use of coercive force.  The phrase "voluntary association" implies the absence of the use of coercive force.  The obvious way to tell the difference between the two is to stop paying your taxes (the government term) or donations (the voluntary association term).  If it's a voluntary association, you'll live happily ever after.  If it's a government, you'll find yourself looking into the barrel of a gun pointed at you by the police who will shoot you if you don't comply with paying their taxes, and resist imprisonment and property confiscation. 

So yes, anarchists here at the FSW forums, and in person, do talk about and hope for a Wyoming with "no government", notwithstanding the fact that it is completely unrealistic.  To pretend otherwise is less than honest.