Author Topic: Wyoming or New Hampshire???  (Read 4611 times)

Offline mlangas

Wyoming or New Hampshire???
« on: December 25, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »
Choices Choices....

Hopefully this isn't like the 'People's Front of Judea' vs 'The Judean People's Front'  :D

Seriously though, does FSW and FSP have regular interaction?  I found out about FSW via their website.  Beisides the geography, is there a summary of key differences anywhere?

Thanks,

Mike

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Wyoming or New Hampshire???
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:57:56 AM »
Yup! We have more guns than they do. >:D

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
From Boston in "frequently asked questions" here: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=24.msg64#msg64
More at that link.

Who started FSW, and who are the leaders?
Author Boston T. Party (aka Kenneth W. Royce) founded the FSW in order to provide western freestaters with a Wyoming alternative.  Boston has purposely set up the FSW as a very informal group without leaders, and without a "cult of personality" ethos.  The FSW exists as a sort of glue for Wyoming-minded freestaters.

What is the goal of Free State Wyoming?
To encourage, assist, and reward the migration of liberty-minded Americans to Wyoming in order to maintain and further its relative laissez-faire Western culture; to eventually enjoy a haven for those Americans who desire not to live as, or under, government supremacists.

The FSW is merely an ad hoc group of people who are a) interested in living free/freer lives, and b) would like to do so in Wyoming as good neighbors with the locals.

The FSW is not a political organization, and we have no formal agenda.  Our members stand for free trade, political liberty, and voluntary cooperation--that's all.  However broad an umbrella that may seem, it is one which covers many different members and viewpoints.  Some are religious, some are not.  Some are Republicans, most are libertarians.  There are probably even a few Democrats.

The FSW will not endorse political efforts, as such has never been the FSW's task.  Once FSWers are in Wyoming, the FSW has largely done its job and it is up to individuals to work for freedom as they see fit.  They are welcome to begin their own networks and groups for such purposes.

Why Wyoming?
Wyoming was selected for many reasons including its existing culture of freedom; its low population; and its business-friendly laws. Click here for a detailed analysis.

Wyoming does not need improving.
That notwithstanding, its western culture of freedom deserves to be maintained by folks who understand how special Wyoming is.  Many FSWers have seen states such as Colorado, Oregon, etc. become tainted by the influx of statists from liberal metropolitan areas, and we don't want to see that happen to Wyoming.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:36:41 PM »
Seriously though, does FSW and FSP have regular interaction?
Not too much, except on an individual level.
I stay in touch with a few of them from time to time,
and have twice been pleased to accept their kind offer
to speak at their Liberty March in March 2009 and 2010.

Personally, I have very little faith in the "set our state on fire for liberty through activism" model.
They, however, believe in it much more than I do.

I believe that a sparse population is a major key to liberty.
They are not convinced of that.

Between the two states, be sure to visit both!

Boston

Offline mlangas

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  I'll have to look at both, but I'm not sure how I do that logistically yet.  Are there any FSW realtors?  I've hooked up with a realtor in NH.  He has been very helpful.  It would be cool if I could find a similar resource in Wyoming.

Mike

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.  I'll have to look at both, but I'm not sure how I do that logistically yet.  Are there any FSW realtors?  I've hooked up with a realtor in NH.  He has been very helpful.  It would be cool if I could find a similar resource in Wyoming.

Mike

Far as I know there are no active realtors among the FSW folks, but this lady helped a number of us find good places, and she is an honest and good person. Vera Huber is her name. http://www.homeplaceusa.com/

Offline jscottdavis04

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
I just love the West, so I'm completely biased in this discussion. But I would like to point out that you really need to look at the states surrounding NH vs. those surrounding WY. The FSP people are great (I know a few out there) but they are surrounded by the kind of people I moved away from (used to live in PA) and those types seem to moving into NH, as well.

On a more practical note, property taxes can be extremely high in NH. My mom lives in Lebanon, NH and the average property taxes there are higher than what I pay for rent for the entire year here in WY (i.e. upwards of $10,000 in Lebanon and Hanover area). From what I've heard, people out there say you should live in Vermont (to avoid high property taxes and expensive vehicle registration in NH) but work in New Hampshire (to avoid state income taxes in VT).

But you will find pros and cons for each place, depending on your personal tastes and expectations (local culture, the characteristics of political activism, proximity to urban centers, landscape). I think it will come down to whether you're more of an urban person or more of a "Western" person, but that's just my $0.02.
"We exhibit to mankind the remarkable spectacle of a people attacked by unprovoked enemies, without any imputation or even suspicion of offence. They boast of their privileges and civilization, and yet proffer no milder conditions than servitude or death."
-The Continental Congress, 1775

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
I'll reinforce what davis said by adding that most FSW movers have discovered the necessity of at least one actual, on the ground visit before they knew whether or not Wyoming was right for them. Come see us. We'll be delighted to show you around. :)

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
I am visiting a Free State friend in New Hampshire for New Year's.  Will be fun to debate the Wyoming/NH attributes!
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Offline maxxoccupancy

• Social Type
    • nhliberty.org
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 03:26:18 AM »
Regarding property taxes, I live in a fairly nice home in an ocean front town (Seabrook, New Hampshire), and I pay less than $4k a year in property taxes.  All told, I think that I'm paying out just over $5k in state and local (car, meals & rooms, excise taxes), and I'm a lot more free here than I was in the Puget Sound area.

I believe that New Hampshire has fallen behind Texas, Montana, and Wyoming for lowest taxes, but I think that Wyoming and Alaska are lowest for felt taxes.
nhliberty.org Learn how to affect legislation to make your own state freer.

Offline Stratispho

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Google Voluntaryism
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »
Current property taxes here in the Phoenix area for my place are $1600 a year. But AZ has a state income tax and roughly a 8% sales tax rate.
I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all, and pledge perpetual opposition to the Republic of the United States, and to the control and tyranny for which it stands.

Offline mlangas

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »
It's just a time thing.  Hard to get the time off to visit everywhere.  Currently I'm in Minnesota.  My property taxes are $4,700 with a %7 income tax and %7.5 sales tax.  Anything has to be better than that.

Offline LisaIA

• Social Type
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
It's just a time thing.  Hard to get the time off to visit everywhere.  Currently I'm in Minnesota.  My property taxes are $4,700 with a %7 income tax and %7.5 sales tax.  Anything has to be better than that.

I hear you.  I'm in IA.  I used to consider NH as I have friends there, but then I married a Wyoming native and that pretty well made my mind up.
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.