Author Topic: Two Stage move  (Read 5143 times)

Offline cody

• Casual Observer
Two Stage move
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
Hi,

I'm interested in WY for all the same reasons I hear discussed here. I am still working through my options though. My first inclination is to buy a property for hunting/cabin/mobile home and vacation there in WY while looking to either a build or find an existing home for later retirement.  For obvious reasons I would like to at least be a legal resident by 2014. Any comments on options, locations, etc. So far I'm looking most in the Newcastle and Gillette areas. I will be out looking around for a few days in late February.

I'm currently in MN. It's pretty much the same weather, Newcastle is actually slightly warmer and less windy.

enJoy,
Cody

Chance favors the prepared

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Two Stage move
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:51:27 AM »
Please plan to stop and visit! And if you can bring the lady, that would be ideal. Looking forward to meeting you. PM for directions.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline HardwareHank

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:44:57 AM »
My first inclination is to buy a property for hunting/cabin/mobile home and vacation there in WY while looking to either a build or find an existing home for later retirement.  For obvious reasons I would like to at least be a legal resident by 2014.

"Resident" here in Wyoming has a number of definitions: (Caveat - I am not an attorney, nor have I ever portrayed one on TV).

HUNTING/FISHING - "To qualify for any resident game and fish license, permit, preference point, or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, permit, preference point, or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses, etc.) for that one (1) year period." (Note: Game and Fish DO take this seriously and often show up unannounced to verify the residency requirements.)

VOTING - "Residence is the place of a person's actual habitation. The construction of this term shall be governed by the following rule(s): (A)  Residence is the place where a person has a current habitation and to which, whenever he is absent, he has the intention of returning."

"If'n George Washington was alive today... he'd buy two things... a rifle and a roadmap to Washington DC"

Offline cody

• Casual Observer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:50:09 AM »
MamaLiberty,

Yes, maybe we can have breakfast or coffee and small talk (Smile)  You seem very outgoing.  You mentioned seeing patients, are you involved in medical care? I'll be out in late Feb with a like minded friend, or two who are also interested in the Liberty aspects of WY.  We all have family to consider and want to get some background information before making a case for anything more than WY as a vacation spot. 

I'll let you know more as the date get closer in. I also hope to be out for the Osage Jamboree and rifle class next year.

enJoy,
Cody

Offline cody

• Casual Observer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
HardwareHank,

Thanks for the heads up on the in state requirements for hunting lics. I've been gathering general Tax, Property, Political, Weather, etc... information but there is always more than you have time for or overlook something. I suspect if I move out there I'll be busy for the first year anyway. Or pay out of state I guess.

When I'm out in late Feb I hope to attend a gun show in Gillette and an indoor shoot in Newcastle. If I can rustle up a few locals for coffee afterward, I should pickup lots of good information. 

enJoy,
Cody

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
That would be lovely! I'm a retired RN, spent the last 14 years of my career in hospice care. I look forward to meeting you!

MamaLiberty,

Yes, maybe we can have breakfast or coffee and small talk (Smile)  You seem very outgoing.  You mentioned seeing patients, are you involved in medical care? I'll be out in late Feb with a like minded friend, or two who are also interested in the Liberty aspects of WY.  We all have family to consider and want to get some background information before making a case for anything more than WY as a vacation spot. 

I'll let you know more as the date get closer in. I also hope to be out for the Osage Jamboree and rifle class next year.

enJoy,
Cody

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline jscottdavis04

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »
My first inclination is to buy a property for hunting/cabin/mobile home and vacation there in WY while looking to either a build or find an existing home for later retirement.  For obvious reasons I would like to at least be a legal resident by 2014.

"Resident" here in Wyoming has a number of definitions: (Caveat - I am not an attorney, nor have I ever portrayed one on TV).

HUNTING/FISHING - "To qualify for any resident game and fish license, permit, preference point, or tag, a person shall be domiciled and shall physically reside in Wyoming for one (1) full year (365 consecutive days) immediately preceding the date the person applies for or purchases the license, permit, preference point, or tag and the person shall not have claimed residency elsewhere for any other purpose (including, but not limited to, voting, payment of income taxes, purchase of resident hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses, etc.) for that one (1) year period." (Note: Game and Fish DO take this seriously and often show up unannounced to verify the residency requirements.)

VOTING - "Residence is the place of a person's actual habitation. The construction of this term shall be governed by the following rule(s): (A)  Residence is the place where a person has a current habitation and to which, whenever he is absent, he has the intention of returning."

I'm pretty sure you just need to spend half the year here to be able to vote... but it may all depend on what state you spend the rest of your time in. For example, if you're from out of state and working in Wyoming, they expect you to get a Wyoming driver's license if you don't return to your homestate within 90 days. That same type of rule could apply in the other direction if you're away from Wyoming for prolonged periods of time.

Although we're not in the corner of the state you seem interested in, it would be fun to meet up if you head out my way (Rock Springs).
"We exhibit to mankind the remarkable spectacle of a people attacked by unprovoked enemies, without any imputation or even suspicion of offence. They boast of their privileges and civilization, and yet proffer no milder conditions than servitude or death."
-The Continental Congress, 1775

Offline cody

• Casual Observer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:42 PM »
jscottdavis04,

Thanks for the info...  Maybe we can meet at the Jamboree in June. It sounds like a great place to meet people. I talked to my Tax preparer about the move to Wyoming, I was hoping I could work here and live there for a while during transition. It sounds complicated as I own a home and declare it as homestead, if I vote in Wyo I can't homestead here at the same time. Lots more to it, so I'll have to see him a few more times with more questions. MN would want my income tax of course. I have much to learn.

enJoy,
Cody

Offline MANUMIT

• Needs To Get Out More
  • A Free-Market Individualist Family Man, In Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 06:40:58 AM »
IIRC you can vote in Wyo after only 30 days "in-state"...and register the very same day as casting your first ballot...even with an out-of-state id  8)

MANUMIT
"I bet you have much more in common with the average Iraqi shop keeper, than any of the politicians that represent you."--Silver Smith
"WHEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE PATH, CHANGE DIRECTION"--Me

Offline kylben

• Needs To Get Out More
    • Human Advancement
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »
Cody,

There was just a thread on here last week about mobile homes in Gilette and Crook, started by a FSWer who has several for sale and is willing to work with people considering this kind of move.  It spawned a tangent thread where I discussed, with a lot of rambling, some of my thoughts on it. That might be helpful, and you might be able to talk to John in Gilette about some options.
Carpe Libertas!
An Agorist Manifesto in 95 Theses: http://www.humanadvancement.net/blog/index.php?itemid=247/