Author Topic: Considering Move to Wyoming  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Melvin

Considering Move to Wyoming
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
I am considering a move to Wyoming with my wife and 2 children ages 8 and 10, and I'm looking for suggestions on where in the state to move to.  I am a gunsmith and do retail sales and pawn here in south east kansas my wife has an office job.   Looking for a town where they do not already have a gunsmith, my wife might find work, and a decent school for the kids.  The town should have a population of 2500 or more, or a place where there is alot of traffic on a major road.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Considering Move to Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
Good luck!
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline FDNYLiberty

• Needs To Get Out More
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
Melvin

Get a WY road map and then check out city-data.com (search in website WY) and you can get all the info you need.

Good luck.

FDNYLiberty

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
The town should have a population of 2500 or more, or a place where there is alot of traffic on a major road.

2500 is close to the size of many Wyoming counties, Melvin.  Using Wikipedia you can construct a list
of cities and then sort by population if you'll need 2500 or more in one town.  Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie
and Sheridan come to mind though I doubt you'd be the only gunsmith.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
The town should have a population of 2500 or more, or a place where there is alot of traffic on a major road.

2500 is close to the size of many Wyoming counties, Melvin.  Using Wikipedia you can construct a list
of cities and then sort by population if you'll need 2500 or more in one town.  Casper, Cheyenne, Laramie
and Sheridan come to mind though I doubt you'd be the only gunsmith.

HMMM, 2500? 25 hundred or 25 thousand? Weston county has about 7,000 residents, and Newcastle has about 3,000 of those. Not too many places in Wyoming with anything near 25 thousand people. And they tend to be the least free places, far as I can see.

Offline Melvin

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
The city im in now Columbus, KS has about 3300 people in it and is the county seat.  I wouldnt mind a town that is alittle smaller but you cant run a retail business if no one can find you.  Here in this part of kansas i would say about 60 percent of people own guns in wyoming the statistics say about 88 percent so i could be in a somewhat smaller town, but i still need a certain level of population to keep me busy.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
The city im in now Columbus, KS has about 3300 people in it and is the county seat.  I wouldnt mind a town that is alittle smaller but you cant run a retail business if no one can find you.  Here in this part of kansas i would say about 60 percent of people own guns in wyoming the statistics say about 88 percent so i could be in a somewhat smaller town, but i still need a certain level of population to keep me busy.

You might get a much better idea from talking with gunsmiths in other Wyoming towns. A lot more of the folks here probably take care of their own guns and only take them to a "smith" for big stuff or occasionally for convenience. I've only taken a gun to a gunsmith once so far, and could have done the job myself if I'd had to - or sent it back to the manufacturer. So, you'd probably not want to make that your ONLY line of work in the shop. Most of the gunsmiths here sell guns new as well as trade in used guns and associated equipment. Some are shooting instructors or hunting guides on the side as well.

Don't leave all your eggs in one basket. :)

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
MamaLiberty,

Newcastle doesn't have any good professional gunsmith, according to you in another thread.  Perhaps that would be an ideal town to try setting up shop in.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
MamaLiberty,

Newcastle doesn't have any good professional gunsmith, according to you in another thread.  Perhaps that would be an ideal town to try setting up shop in.

Indeed, and I promise to be a good customer... even if it is just bringing my own paper towels to wipe off the drool when I look a the merchandise.  >:D

Offline Mjolnir

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • The Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
MamaLiberty,

I'd second that too, but I'd also look into selling reloading supplies.  I hate having to wait till I go to Rapid to find a reasonably priced keg of powder.
”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”<br />~George Washington