Author Topic: Cell Phones & GPS  (Read 4032 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Cell Phones & GPS
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
A long time ago my cell phone had no GPS. Fine.
The next model had a setting where you could enable it for all calls or for 911 only. That's what I chose (911 only).
But this phone (Samsung A777) has no such setting.
No mention of it in the user's guide index.
I've searched the web for such a setting. I've found nothing.

I've had some problems with my AT&T service lately and was talking to a rep yesterday. He immediately could see my location on his map in reference to the cell towers.

So my question is: Is this other people's experience with their phones and their service providers? Universal GPS at all times?

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Don Wills

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Cell Phones & GPS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
So my question is: Is this other people's experience with their phones and their service providers? Universal GPS at all times?

Actually, it doesn't matter whether your cell phone has GPS or not.  By sensing the cell phone transmit power levels received at three cell towers, TPTB can triangulate your position.  And you don't need to make a call - the chirps that your phone is constantly doing are sufficient.  It's not a new technology.

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »

Yep, and even if you have the option of turning it off there are software applications that can reconstruct
'locational artifacts' to build a map of where you've been.
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline ConfederateCatholic

• For Southern Rights Hurrah!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:22 PM »
Big brotherUncle Sam is just trying to watch out for your best interests. If something were to "happen" to you, they need to be able to find you to render "aid."
~Deo Vindice~ God will Vindicate

"Even when those who move you may be Kings, or men of power your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus," or that Virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." Kingdom of Heaven