Author Topic: Finally Back in Wyoming  (Read 8046 times)

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Finally Back in Wyoming
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
Live water for my purposes means any naturally productive water source.  In the case of the 1/3 gpm spring, that would be enough to sustain a couple of people with tight water rationing, but I would prefer a small creek or river.  At least if SHTF, you have access to water.  You may need to purify it, but it's there regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline clemmac

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »
In the case of the 1/3 gpm spring, that would be enough to sustain a couple of people with tight water rationing. 

Maybe a few more folks than "a couple" ?  That spring supplies 480 gallons each 24 hour day  :o

"You may need to purify it, .........."

In this case, probably not  ;)

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 04:10:03 PM »
Maybe a few more folks than "a couple" ?  That spring supplies 480 gallons each 24 hour day  :o

I suppose it also depends on how much gardening and livestock watering you must do. I should have done the math...480 gal would supply 8 people, a nice garden, plus a couple of cows.  That is a decent water source.  1/3gpm makes it sound so slow!
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline biathlon

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:51 AM »
Welcome home. ;D

Offline Don Wills

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
FWIW, I live at the very southeast corner of Wyoming, in the bluffs south of Pine Bluffs - it meets all my gulching requirements.  Water, although not surface water, is no problem because the Ogallala aquifer underlies Niobrara, Goshen and Laramie counties.  The water is moderately shallow and generally very good flowing.  And because we have few trees, the price of land isn't ridiculous like it is in the Bear Lodge mountains, or in the hills that are at the edge of the Black Hills northeast of Newcastle.  It's an easy drive into Cheyenne for a Walmart fix, and it's less than 2 hours to Denver airport which has a whole lot more options than Natrona County Airport, which I just read lost Allegiance for their normal seasonal shutdown.  If you travel by air a lot from Wyoming, your options really are only at the edges of Wyoming - southeast corner (Denver), northeast corner (Rapid City), southwest corner (Salt Lake City) and Teton County (Jackson Hole).  Plus it's the best weather in Wyoming!  (I realize that's not saying much.)

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:55 AM »
If you travel by air a lot from Wyoming, your options really are only at the edges of Wyoming - southeast corner (Denver), northeast corner (Rapid City), southwest corner (Salt Lake City) and Teton County (Jackson Hole).  Plus it's the best weather in Wyoming!  (I realize that's not saying much.)

Don't forget Gillette.  That's where I fly in to/out of all the time.  No backscatter there yet and free parking!

Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
@Don, that is why we came back to the Wheatland area.  Land is very reasonably priced, as you noted.  The only gripe I have is the wind.  I haven't yet looked down toward Pine Bluffs, but have seen a couple of nice parcels near Hawk Springs.  I think, realistically, that we are going to stay in the Wheatland area.  The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  For all the reasons you described, plus giving the kids some stability in their lives, Wheatland makes more sense.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll always be open to any place for the right opportunity.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!