Author Topic: Why libertarians/anarchists should start writing fiction  (Read 3120 times)

Offline AgoristTeen1994

• Rather Interested
Why libertarians/anarchists should start writing fiction
« on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
http://www.yaliberty.org/posts/libertarians-need-to-lie-more
"Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Here is my gpg key as of 05/27/2012

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9CB41A3E101B1CD3

Offline NiteRider

• Needs To Get Out More
  • Take Responsibility, Take Power!
Re: Why libertarians/anarchists should start writing fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
L. Neil Smith has some good ones, including the "Star Wars", Landau Calrissian trilogy.
To the degree you demand any individual or institution to be your savior, to that equal degree will that individual or institution demand to be your lord!

Offline kunkmiester

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Don't we have a couple of authors that come through here occasionally?
Evil is evil, no matter how small.

Thermonuclear weapons make me happy!

230therapy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
I've been having fun reading "The Probability Broach".

http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn?page=0

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »
Send me an email if you'd like to read mine.

Here is a review, written by an old friend.

A friend of mine wrote a book. "Consequences". It chronicles the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of a small Wyoming community when the government finally pays the price of the follies we have allowed it to engage in over the last century. But instead if being about strong men carving an empire out of barbarity, it is about a group of individuals who carve out a society of self ownership, self responsibility, and personal freedom, and combine it with charity and compassion to forge a strong society with freedom for all and tyranny for none who voluntarily participate.

The Bradshaw Ranch in Wyoming is the setting. Starting with less than 20 people, including a few marine vets, this group of strong individualists begins the task of surviving when the economy collapses and martial law is declared. Starting with a rescue mission to get one of the core group members from his home in Iowa, this group never varies from it's tenants of never initiating force against others, always being prepared to defend against all threats, and being always willing to take in anyone who needs help. They keep any of these people who are willing to be self-reliant, and aid on their way those who aren't. The principle of unanimous consent is strictly adhered to. ANYTHING that fails to get unanimous consent from the "shareholders" (people who have accepted the covenant the group operates under) does not get done. Arbitration rather than imprisonment is the way ALL crime and major disagreements get handled. And it works.

Lest you think this means the novel is a dry tome full of pontificating philosophers rambling on about their principles, this is ALSO an adventure book of the first water. Gunfights, intrigue, romance, kids, horses, guns, farming and ranching. Never a dull moment. A first rate read, with my biggest complaint being length- it wasn't long enough. However, the author assures me there is at least one sequel waiting for the keyboard. I would rate this as one of the best books I've read in the last 5 years, and it will NOT be erased from my NOOK anytime in the foreseeable future. I'd bet I'll re-read it within a month to get more out of it. Fun and fascinating. When "Consequences", by Susan Callaway, reaches the bookshelves of your brick and mortar bookstore or your favorite e-book download site, buy it. You'll love it.

Susan- I write little reviews for my science fiction group on NewsVine. If I were to review it there, this is how it would read. Since it IS, after all, speculative fiction.
Neale

It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.