Author Topic: Let's talk about snow.  (Read 18239 times)

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
Let's talk about snow.
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I realize that this post may be somewhat miscategorized, but as you can see, I am a "newbie" and this is also my very first post. Now to the point: My wife and I are giving very serious consideration to making the move to Wyoming this September. We were initially looking to relocate to a less populated region than the one in which we currently reside, thus I struck upon the idea of WY. In doing my due diligence I subsequently discovered FSW and was lead here to the forum. So finding out about the existence of an organization of like-minded individuals was a welcome bonus to the appeal of the state itself. As it is my understanding that Crook County is the epicenter of FSW's efforts (correct?) we are looking to make the move to Sundance or the surrounding area. While I've done some research on the weather in the area, bar graphs and precipitation statistics aren't really answering my questions. So, what I want to know about is SNOW. I'm a Florida native therefore I have ZERO experience. In Crook County would I need a 4x4 vehicle? I have a pick up truck, but it's 2wd. Would I need chains, snow tires? Obviously we are planning to invest in some warm clothing in preparation for the drastically different climate, but I'd like to get some word-of-mouth information from some folks on the ground in the area so I can know what to expect weather-wise. Thanks in advance!
Nunya Bidness

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
Re: Let's talk about snow.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
Let me put it this way...

Feb 19  I got stuck in Sundance because of a snowstorm. The next day it took me almost an hour to go the 40ish miles to Newcastle... but 10 mi south of Newcastle the ground was totally bare.

Get the picture?  :D
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
Well.... as with almost anything, "that depends."  >:D

I live in Newcastle (Weston county), quite near Sundance (by Wyoming measure - 45 miles) and we have less than half the snow of a lot of places in Crook county.  Newcastle is in a little "banana belt" and has far less snow and cold than most of the rest of the state.

But we still do get snow, ice and cold. It's all relative. Compared to Florida, it would seem extreme - at least at first. I came from S. Calif. and was sure I'd suffer terribly from the cold. But I didn't. I got used to it very quickly. That said, it does matter what kind of work you do. I'm retired, so if it is nasty outside - I just stay home. If you have to actually work outside all the time, it will be a lot more difficult.

The 4WD and chains question will be more related to where you live. If you are near mostly maintained roads, a 2WD may do, but if you are out of town far, a 4WD might be essential. You figure that out after you get here. :) Never saw anyone here with chains on their car.

I've talked to a great many people about a possible move to Wyoming. Most of the folks from the south are more worried about snow and cold than anything else. You just have to figure what is most important to you. And make a visit in the winter so you really know what you are up against. All too often, our imagination of a danger or challenge is far worse than the reality.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
Let me put it this way...

Feb 19  I got stuck in Sundance because of a snowstorm. The next day it took me almost an hour to go the 40ish miles to Newcastle... but 10 mi south of Newcastle the ground was totally bare.

Get the picture?  :D

I don't get that picture??? Are you saying sometimes it snows a lot in one place & not a lot in others? In Iowa the same is true. We might get 8 or 10 inches of snow here and 1 inch 40 miles. away.  ;D

From the massive experience of my one trip to Wyoming  >:D I would say you only need a 4WD if you live in one town (or a ranch) and need to drive in every day for work somewhere else. I don't think someone who lives & works in Newcastle (or lives & works in Sundance, etc) needs a 4WD vehicle.

Anyone agree?
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
Alright. I think I'm starting to get the picture. The reason I'm asking about this area in particular is that it seems most of the FSWers are located there. Judging simply by geography, I figured that Crook and Weston would have more treacherous weather than Laramie, for instance, but as I said I'm interested in low population. I would probably live and work in town, at least initially, although I would prefer ultimately to reside in a more rural area. I just want to get an understanding of what to expect when (or if) I arrive. I don't want to be trapped due to snow and unable to go to work or in search thereof. Based on the responses I've gotten so far, it seems that you just can't tell what the weather will be like when or where on any given day. So, should I roll into Crook County in early September, what would be the worst case scenario for weather? And would you say, given the concerns I've expressed, that I'd just simply be better off in the Weston "banana belt"?
Nunya Bidness

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »
So, should I roll into Crook County in early September, what would be the worst case scenario for weather? And would you say, given the concerns I've expressed, that I'd just simply be better off in the Weston "banana belt"?

Come and see. You are the only one who can truly answer your questions. It's still nice in September. Come in mid January if you want to see the worst. :)  But nobody can predict exactly what that might be. You have to be willing to adapt and make do. You have to accept the fact that nothing in Wyoming will resemble Florida - at all.  >:D

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
Fair enough. I'm certainly willing and able to adapt and make do. It's at least some sort of comfort that my biggest concern is the weather. But I still may look into this "banana belt," even if it does sound eerily similar to a banana hammock.  I hope it's nothing like that! :o
Nunya Bidness

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
Alright. I think I'm starting to get the picture. The reason I'm asking about this area in particular is that it seems most of the FSWers are located there. Judging simply by geography, I figured that Crook and Weston would have more treacherous weather than Laramie, for instance, but as I said I'm interested in low population. I would probably live and work in town, at least initially, although I would prefer ultimately to reside in a more rural area. I just want to get an understanding of what to expect when (or if) I arrive. I don't want to be trapped due to snow and unable to go to work or in search thereof. Based on the responses I've gotten so far, it seems that you just can't tell what the weather will be like when or where on any given day. So, should I roll into Crook County in early September, what would be the worst case scenario for weather? And would you say, given the concerns I've expressed, that I'd just simply be better off in the Weston "banana belt"?

I am relocating soon from Colorado.  I am from Michigan originally.  I have visited once last fall and once a few weeks ago.  It seems roughly the same as Colorado and not quite as bad as northern Michigan. 

I am a big believer in self sufficiency and a 4WD in these climates simply gives you more options. 
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
I dont have a 4x4. I live in Sundance. Ive been stuck a few times but usually for not watching where I was going. Usually a shovel will get you out of those situations. Generally if it snows a lot you just take a day off and the plows will clear the road fairly well. The most commonly seen vehicle in the ditch or stuck is a 4x4. Generally it is not about the vehicle. It is the driver.

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:09 PM »
I agree, Crappie. It also REALLY helps if you have studded tires. I have a Jeep...older model, light body, studded tires and that bad girl will get you through lots.  I call her 'Maggie'...short for Magic Jeep".

;-)
Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:00:21 AM »
Welcome aboard RaisedByWolves,
If your mind is on weather and your heart is on FSW, then Laramie has the worst weather in the state!  It is one of the few locations festering liberals in the state.  All my vehicles are 4x4.  Last week i had one truck stuck in snow on saturday and mud on the following monday.  Same road about 50 meters apart.  I live much further south than crook county but i drive through there twice a month.  Since december, max speed has been from 80 to 20 mph on the interstate.
Ditto to Mama's claim..."nothing here resembles Florida"!  Not weather, nor animals, nor soil, nor terrain, nor people.

pW

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »
OOPs

That should be fostering liberals...

my bad.

pW

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 07:14:59 AM »
OOPs

That should be fostering liberals...

my bad.

pW

You were right the first time....  >:D

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
My opinion.
It depends upon WHERE you live, work, and your lifestyle.
IF you live IN TOWN where they plow the roads often, and you live there, and your kids go to school there, then you'll have NO problem with 2WD. The government is taking care of you.

But, if you live outside the city, down 500' of driveway, and work 50 miles away, then you'll need a 4WD to get out daily.
They plow our county road about 1, 2, or 3 days AFTER a snowstorm. That's fine. We just know not to attempt to go anywhere for that period of time. We're retired. Have no need to get out (usually).

It's all about YOU.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
Actually you need two cars. The regular 2wd commuter that gets good mileage. And the 4wd truck that you need one day per year.  :D

There were one or two times I wished I had a 4wd. Our house W of Cody is up a hill, and the gravel road to it was compressed snow with slick ice on top. I parked the car on the highway and walked up.  :)

Of course if you are in the boonies, on a dirt road, you need a 4wd to drive in the mud in the spring and turn your road into a huge mess for the rest of the year.

Oh, about Laramie, that is one of the colder places in the state. Check the elevation.

Don't worry about weather, that's the least of your worries. People in Wyoming are pretty laid back anyway; you won't be fired for being an hour late on a snowy day. Worry about other things, like whether your spouse is on board for the move. Much more important...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:34:50 PM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.