Author Topic: Former liberal wondering if I would be a good FSW match  (Read 32638 times)

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Re: Former liberal wondering if I would be a good FSW match
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »
P.S.  Yes, I repaid my student loan after graduation, but made a mistake in doing so.  Because of hating to owe (and be owned) by anything, I paid off the debt in large sums just to be out from under it.  My loan rate was only 4%, so I could have taken some time to pay it off, but the obligation of it was a bone in my throat and the sooner is was out, the better!  So, it impacted my cash flow in the short run, but it was worth my peace of mind.  That, and peace with God and (most) others, is more important to me than anything else in this world.
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
P.S.  Yes, I repaid my student loan after graduation, but made a mistake in doing so. <snip> So, it impacted my cash flow in the short run, but it was worth my peace of mind.  That, and peace with God and (most) others, is more important to me than anything else in this world.

Then it wasn't a "mistake" at all. :)

I had exactly one loan, very early in my career. Don't remember the interest rate. It was pretty high right then. I lived in a crappy place, scrimping on everything until it was paid in full. Took me three years after graduation. Not sure what the loan term was, but it was years and years longer than that.

I used to laugh when the loan company wrote to me practically BEGGING me not to make extra payments. I'm sure that cost them a bundle.

And yes, I was fortunate that there was such a terrible nursing shortage that I had no problems finding a job. Might have made a big difference in how long it took me otherwise.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
Kingskid:

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I, for one of many, am NOT trying to get my debt magicked away.

I'm trying to get the scandalous, corrupt, evil system changed to at least have legal parity with common banking law.

What is wrong with that?
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
"re:  Ironsights:  Kingskid:

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but I, for one of many, am NOT trying to get my debt magicked away.

I'm trying to get the scandalous, corrupt, evil system changed to at least have legal parity with common banking law.

What is wrong with that?"

I was just responding to jhamilton1679 who is obviously wrestling with how to proceed on his loan obligation.  I really wasn't trying to impugn anyone's personal beliefs, and certainly not yours, Old Ironsights.  I do understand the anger, bitterness and frustration so many feel with the banking industry, unfair taxation, corrupt gov't, destruction of our liberties, etc.  When all of that started weighing down on me, I felt my natural joy being sapped and had to get away from political writing and reading to get my equilibrium back.  If we let angst about things over which we have very little control eat away at us, we will just be letting the thieves and robbers steal even more from us: our peace.  But, we still have the liberty to move and many have made Wyoming their choice.  I am anxiously awaiting to see if Wyoming will seduce me or if it'll just be a passing flirtation. :) :)

BTW, OI, you obviously are a man with a deep well of love.  Marrying and caring for someone with a debilitation of some kind shows your mettle.  I applaud you.  May G_d bless you.  Shalom!
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!