Author Topic: Making the move  (Read 5659 times)

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
Making the move
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:22:58 PM »
My wife and I are headed for the cowboy state later this year.
Currently we're trying to decide between Crook and Weston counties.
I'm looking to get some info from locals comparing and contrasting one area versus the other.
A sort of FSW Forum Venn diagram, if you will.
Thanks in advance.
Nunya Bidness

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Making the move
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
Mac will tell you the best looking FSW'ers are in Crook County.  ;-)  I lived in Sundance for my first year and I thought it should have been named 'Snowdance' instead.  It would literally be snowing at my house (base of a mountain) but 1 mile away, it was bright/sunny.   The elevation also takes some adjustments if you/your wife like to bake.

I ultimately bought in Weston County...the sheriff is one good reason for that decision; housing prices are another; weather (all things being relative) is another.  If you search for Weston County, I believe the pros of Weston county vs. others has been discussed here before.

Good luck!
Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »
Come visit us! I'd love to show you Weston county and our great little town. (Best if you don' live IN town, of course... )
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
Thanks, Kelly and ML.
We will be living in town, but hopefully that will only be for a short period of time.
We will not, however, be buying anything. We intend to rent. And while I realize that this is somewhat of a dismal prospect for the area, based on what I have seen available in my research, I'm confident we can find something that will suit us. We are very minimalist and will only be looking for the bare necessities.
I'll try to track down some more info on the forum by following your suggestion, Kelly.
Nunya Bidness

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Come visit us! I'd love to show you Weston county and our great little town. (Best if you don' live IN town, of course... )

If you keep making posts like this your going to hurt the fragile self-esteem of city folk like myself. ;D
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »

If you keep making posts like this your going to hurt the fragile self-esteem of city folk like myself. ;D

Gosh, I'm sorry.  >:D  If you don't mind city "regulations," taxes and so forth, who am I to object? :) Guess somebody's got to live there. :)

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
We will not, however, be buying anything. We intend to rent.

Smart man. It's a good idea to get here and get one's bearings first, before committing. Assuming there is time for that any more <sigh>.

Also I wouldn't pay too much attention to the sneers about living in town. Newcastle is not Oakland, after all.  :D  Wyoming is one of the more "urban" states there is, if "urban" includes living in a town with 200 people. There is a good reason for this.

But do try to find a neighborhood with a dead car or two in the street. In such places, people tend to be left alone. There are towns (e.g. Sheridan) where the "improvers" have taken over - a pox on them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:53:52 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
Last I heard, Newcastle has a population of about 3,000.

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Not sneering, just telling the truth. :)

I never was a city gal. :)

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:55:37 PM »
Before I ever became aware of FSW, I hit upon Wyoming as the place to go based on the population. The county in which I currently reside has a larger population than the entire state of Wyoming. So I'm not too concerned about the populace in the towns up there.

Thanks for the tip, Paul. I'll take your advice to heart. More often than not, I find myself agreeing enthusiastically with your take on any given subject here on the forum. From what I can surmise from your various posts, it seems that your worldview is very similar to my own. I find myself shouting in agreement with your viewpoint and in amusement at your tone. If you don't my asking, in what area do you reside? And do you have any more detailed commentary on my Weston versus Crook question?
Nunya Bidness

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »
I guess it would be most honest to say we have connections in the Cody area (a home and a business there, the Wyoming Buffalo Company). However recently I have been spending more time back in Oregon due to "spousal difficulties".  ::)  I'm planning to turn that around in a year or two, or when the Empire crashes, whichever comes first.

I like both Crook and Weston counties. I would look at both of them and decide based on job availability, a property you might want, or the friends available in each place.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
Thanks for the input, Paul.

Anyone else got anything to add?
Nunya Bidness