Author Topic: Is ASAP soon enough?  (Read 10827 times)

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
Is ASAP soon enough?
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:17:09 PM »
I want to bring my wife and three kids out to the redoubt ASAP. Just screening the internet and printing, sorting, and finalizing lists of weather, health, environment, population, natural disasters, highways, state/national parks, wildlife and the such, we seem to be drawn to the NE WY region every time a new criteria pops up. Don’t get me wrong, ID & MT seem attractive too, as we are something of amateur survivalists (without much practical application), but the people in a community, however wide spread it is, are a MAJOR factor in the decision process as well.

We are looking for a region that we can settle into without disrupting what is already in place, building a better, healthier, life for our small children, continue to grow our knowledge and understanding of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness while following the two basic rules of life (Natural Law) as was so aptly described in BTP’s You & The Police.

1.   “Do all you have agreed to do, and
2.   Do not encroach on other persons or their property.”

Having opened our eyes a few years ago on the fragility of…well…America in its current state, the survivalist mind set has settled in pretty deep to our psyche. I’ll save the potential rants for a more appropriate conversation as I feel I may be stating the obvious with the given audience.

We’re currently 1,300 miles away from the home land starting to put together a plan to tour the region extensively this year. Our RV has been on the market for about a year now, and by providence, has not slipped through our fingers. After the most recent “run-in” with the city’s zoning department over bringing in 30 ton (not much considering that were spreading it flat across ¼ acre of the back yard) of dirt to level ruts and a low spot in our yard without asking permission & paying 25 bucks, the motivation has reappeared to get busy moving or get busy dying.

The current plan is to pack up the RV with the Family and set out to Weston & Crook Counties. Spend a few days or more in each area, fall in love, and see what follows.

As I need to get this posted and move on about my day today, I’ll leave it at this, asking for any advice, guidance, help and the like. You’ll see me around the forum here and there asking a lot of questions, as much as I do not like to test the waters w/ both feet, I’d rather do all of this now while the opportunity still exists.

Thanks for any help ahead of time…
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Is ASAP soon enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:23:26 PM »
Well, dog gonnit, you sound like a natural. Get out here soon as you can. If you can make it to the June Jamboree, all the better. In any case, I hope you will come to visit us here in the NE corner... We think we have the best part of Wyoming.  ::) You'll have to come see and make up your own minds.

Welcome! I'm eager to meet you all.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:56 AM »
Welcome,

We are in the middle of the state should you want information about that area.

Brandy ~W~
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
I live in Crook County. Near Devil's Tower. Please ask if you want to find out anything.
Better yet, search around the forum here. Lots has been said and discussed and debated over the years.

It would be great if you could indeed come out and join us for our Jam at the end of June. A perfect place for an RV.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
I don't live in Wyoming but I've really become fond of the Newcastle area. Small town but near lots of things. I have relatives who live in the western part of the state & claim it's better.  ;D
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »
KTKEWW

Welcome to our little "slice of hope" forum.  Spend time reviewing the various fora and you will learn a lot about us.  As ML (Mamaliberty) says, you sound a lot like our bunch already...

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies,

Danl, I did not know that forum had a plural form…fora, I like it.

By the numbers, and from a Google Maps “little yellow dude who sees too much” tour, Newcastle has struck a chord with us. Does anyone have any contacts at the Wyoming Refining Company? I am not of retirement age yet and will need to find gainful employment until we get the homestead self-sufficient. I work at a refinery currently and am waiting for a call back from a man there to discuss potential jobs. Obviously my credentials would not check out with anyone who knows anyone there as no one reading this knows us, yet, gotta ask though!

Manfromnevada, neat to see you reply, I believe it was your blog that I just finished reading about setting up your dream home. Sounds like you have made it to where you want to be in life, and seeing you active on the forum is encouraging to know that the FSW community is alive and well. As a side note, I read BTP’s ML a few years back thinking that it was a total work of fiction. It struck me as a Galt’s Gulch in a grander scale. So to find that FSW is not just a figment of someone’s imagination makes me happy, even if our family cannot physically be a part of it. Hat’s off to Boston et al.

ML, as I have seen many people refer to you, we’d love to make it to the jam, but it’s not in the cards this year, previous engagements some 1300 miles away. We’re making a note of it for next year though.

Questions we have been kicking around…

1/ The worst creature in our neck of the woods, other than the two legged variety, is the brown recluse and occasional black widow, neither of which means instant death. I have seen data indicating that rattlers are present, what other animals would we have to be aware of (as I know of VERY few unprovoked animal attacks in nature)? And in what volume or frequency is actual contact with said animals?

2/ Are there any Appleseed shoots in the area? If so, what is the turnout like?

3/ For the proponents of Crook and Weston, how is the county government/Sheriff’s Dept?

4/ How is the gardening in the region? The pictures of area make it all look fairly dry, data indicates ~157 growing days. I have not seen any comments or information about the soil or quality of farm/gardens.

5/ Finally, same area, grocery stores and general goods stores. How far (time wise, let’s say from downtown), and what quality of goods will I find when I get there? Or will I have to rely on FedEx or the like?

Thanks again…

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
I have seen data indicating that rattlers are present, what other animals would we have to be aware of (as I know of VERY few unprovoked animal attacks in nature)? And in what volume or frequency is actual contact with said animals?

I live just outside Hulett, and there is talk of a mountain lion "somewhere out there". I saw a red fox a few times, and once I thought I saw a badger.

4/ How is the gardening in the region? The pictures of area make it all look fairly dry, data indicates ~157 growing days. I have not seen any comments or information about the soil or quality of farm/gardens.

Sometimes there is a fair bit of rain, but usually not so much. I think most gardeners don't plant much outside until late May as frost is possible until June. This year has felt a lot warmer, and we felt lucky, so we already have our garden mostly planted. We started a lot indoors, especially tomatoes. We have some of the plants protected with clear plastic.

The soil can be "okay" in some places, but generally it is not very good and not very deep. We have gone to square foot gardening with a special soil mix that the plants really like. The book is literally, "Square Foot Gardening" and is easy to follow.

5/ Finally, same area, grocery stores and general goods stores. How far (time wise, let’s say from downtown), and what quality of goods will I find when I get there? Or will I have to rely on FedEx or the like?

Most every town should have a grocery store that has all the basics.  You can probably expect the local store to be about 10% to 30% (guessing) higher than the Super-Walmart fifty miles down the road. It's not that bad once you get used to it, just plan ahead.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »
ML, as I have seen many people refer to you, we’d love to make it to the jam, but it’s not in the cards this year, previous engagements some 1300 miles away. We’re making a note of it for next year though.

That's too bad. We'll hope to see you next year then... all things being equal. :)

I have seen data indicating that rattlers are present, what other animals would we have to be aware of (as I know of VERY few unprovoked animal attacks in nature)? And in what volume or frequency is actual contact with said animals?

I'm sure the contact rate varies a great deal, depending on where you are, what you do and the time of year. Up at my place, only a little outside of town, we have a resident mountain lion - just for instance. He has been here for about 15 years and has never, to my knowledge, bothered any livestock or threatened any person. He is a big help, however, in keeping the deer and other varmint populations manageable.

There are snakes here, but I've never seen or heard a rattler. The only snake I've seen is a long yellow "racer" of some kind. Nobody here would harm any snake deliberately unless they were a real threat. You just wear boots and take a stick when you walk in the woods or grasslands.

I've heard tell of bears and other critters, but they don't bother us. I saw a wolf once, and they can be a big problem for the ranchers, but I don't think they would be to those who live close to towns.

We had a few here in the area and did ok. If you want to organize them, my gun club would be tickled.

3/ For the proponents of Crook and Weston, how is the county government/Sheriff’s Dept?

County government is pretty typical of this part of Wyoming. Mostly just the taxes. Don't hear much from them otherwise. The sheriff here in Weston is an oathkeeper and a good guy... still an elected politician, but I think he's a straight shooter. We've been friends for several years now. The roads are fairly well maintained and you have to work hard to attract enough attention to get a "ticket." Just don't be foolish and you'll seldom even see the town police or any sheriff's vehicles.

Some areas are ok for gardens, and a lot of areas have little but nasty clay and rocks for "soil." You'll have to look and be careful what you buy. A greenhouse would be best for the greatest production over the longest period. The good part is that there are plenty of horses and other sources for compost here. You just have to figure out how to transport it. Water is a concern, so make sure you will have sufficient water where you plan to live. The greatest problem with gardens here is wind, hail and drought. Oh, and DEER. Deer is a two part word here. It's pronounced DAMNED DEER. You have to fence your stuff and that's expensive if you build a tall and stout enough fence to keep them out.

Newcastle has two nice grocery stores, both independently owned and locally operated. They compete, and I split my buying between them so they can continue to do so. :) I'm only about 1 1/2 mile from town, so it is no problem to shop unless the snow is very deep. I just plan ahead. We even have a full service health food store, and a co-op for fresh fruits and vegetables. http://bountifulbaskets.org/

All of the goods and services available here are in the same range of quality as you'd find anywhere else. We have two hardware stores, one of which sells lumber and other construction materials. Of COURSE it is somewhat more expensive than in the city, so if you need more than a little it might be worth driving the 80 miles to one of the three cities around us. For a handful of nails or a drip fitting, downtown works fine.

Newcastle has every kind of store and service you will probably ever want or need. I used to drive to Spearfish or Gillette (two of the three cities) at least once a month to shop, but have not gone in over a year now. I'm all alone and don't buy much at a time, so it got to be more expensive to drive than to just buy what I need in town. I save gas, money and time. Some of us car pool for town runs, and most combine visits to the city with other needs such as a doctor's appointment or a gun show.

Newcastle has a nice little hospital and medical clinic, with three doctors. As in most rural areas, medical service is somewhat limited, and most folks go to the city for the big stuff. We also have lawyers, civil engineers, computer repair and lots else. We don't always have a barber, for some weird reason. They tell me most men would rather go to the women hair dressers these days. Can't see it myself, but oh well.

Newcastle has a nice assortment of churches, clubs, civic groups, charities and town activities.  The library is excellent and well run. We have a nice private gun club, with an indoor range available all year. Dues are very low. http://www.westoncountyshooting.com/

As for the refinery, I have no idea if or when they might need someone, but it is a going and GROWING concern, so your chances would be good.

UPS and FedX deliver daily here, just in case you want to buy something on line. :)

Hope that helps! Please feel free to ask if I missed anything. ML

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »

As the SC for appleseed in WY, I have tried to schedule at least one bootcamp and 4-5 shoots in the state every year. Some years more... some less. Normally one in the Weston/Crook area. If you have AS questions feel free to PM me
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
This isn't a response to the original poster but to all the replies instead. Thank you, from someone who didn't even ask the questions. Maybe I haven't been able to put it into writing correctly, but this thread has answered more of my own questions than any post I've made myself. Thanks for all the info from everyone, ML especially. You always seem to be extra helpful. In debating between Sundance and Newcastle, I was initially leaning toward Sundance. But you paint a very tempting picture of Newcastle. Wherever we land (my wife and I), we're all set to make the trek to WY later this year.

I'm beginning to have some doubts, however. My question isn't "is ASAP soon enough?" but rather, "is Wyoming REMOTE/FREE enough?" It's becoming ever more apparent to me that the United States is already a police state. And I fear that no place within its borders will be safe in a few years time. Do any of you Free Staters have any idea where you expect to be when the Big Takeover occurs? Do you think you'll be able to hold out against the powers that be, or merely resist as long as possible only to be the last hold outs to go down?
Nunya Bidness

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
My question isn't "is ASAP soon enough?" but rather, "is Wyoming REMOTE/FREE enough?"

Nobody knows or ever can know. The possibilities are far too varied and unpredictable.

There is no place on earth that is "safe." Never was, and never will be. Relative safety has to be created minute by minute, incident by incident from scratch... awareness, planning, luck and a good community all help, but there are no guarantees anywhere, any time.

We plan and prepare as much as possible for that unknown. That's all anyone really can do.  :)

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
ML, about your deer (they’re here too) I have not tried this trick yet but the people who have swear by it; run fishing line at 2’, 4’, & 6’ levels – about 15’ from the perimeter of your garden w/ ribbons tied on every 6-8’ (to remind you it’s there).This will confuse walking deer when they bump into something they cannot see. Won’t do anything for rabbits and such, but they say it keeps the deer away. That and human hair spread around the boarder of the garden (may be why y‘all don’t have barbers)…

We are thrilled to hear about the health food store and the co-op. 

Even where I live, I factor in money spent per trip on gas to town vs. the local lumber store and meat market. The business list you gave sounds like Newcastle is a very complete town. Only thing I did not see was some type of coin/bullion/barter(pawn)/book/non-electric/gun/ammo/camping/military surplus type store… OK, so that store does not exist here either but if I can’t find work I’ll have to make work.  Think I’d have any shoppers?

As for AS, I’m just a HUGE fan and supporter, I don’t want to have my children miss out on that experience when they grow up, only being able to go 1x per year on a long road trip. I am sure we will be in touch with you Colonial when we get our boots on the ground.

RBW, I had to read and re-read your comment to see if I heard what I thought I read. While I am glad this thread is helping us all, I sure hope I am not misjudging the FSW group. The way I understand the whole program in one sentence or less is; While studying & understanding the patterns and cycles of history and finance, looking at a map as if you and yours gets to pick anywhere in the world/country to live (knowing that living is more than just being alive) and choosing somewhere that is favorable to the conditions you foresee to plant your family before your current location, and political climate get bulldozed by unthinking, short sited, high stationed, idiots, and staying clear of other people’s business while conducting your own as justly and morally as possible (this is hard to do in “one sentence or less”!!!) as peaceably as possible; I see the intent of FSW to be clear (as in, not near the populace which is being corralled)  of any future, potential, complete, police/nanny state actions, let alone any (or most) major natural disasters that befall other locations in the country with self-sustainability paramount and geographically distanced from the hand out state and separated from those with their hands out. And…exhale!

Well, if I’m too far off from my assessment, which I do not think I am, I’ll be signing off and looking to other areas of the country with the morals closer aligned to mine.

Thanks again for the well written and thought out replies. I guess it did not take long to let a lil’ rant slip out, hope it does not offend those that matter. The internet still scares me, especially when there are lead on questions formatted in a way that sounds like a G-Man fishing expedition. If that’s not you wolf man, read your post objectively prior to posting. Think “interpretation” while doing so. MHO

OK---

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
This isn't a response to the original poster but to all the replies instead. Thank you, from someone who didn't even ask the questions. Maybe I haven't been able to put it into writing correctly, but this thread has answered more of my own questions than any post I've made myself. Thanks for all the info from everyone, ML especially. You always seem to be extra helpful. In debating between Sundance and Newcastle, I was initially leaning toward Sundance. But you paint a very tempting picture of Newcastle. Wherever we land (my wife and I), we're all set to make the trek to WY later this year.

I'm beginning to have some doubts, however. My question isn't "is ASAP soon enough?" but rather, "is Wyoming REMOTE/FREE enough?" It's becoming ever more apparent to me that the United States is already a police state. And I fear that no place within its borders will be safe in a few years time. Do any of you Free Staters have any idea where you expect to be when the Big Takeover occurs? Do you think you'll be able to hold out against the powers that be, or merely resist as long as possible only to be the last hold outs to go down?

The "takeover" has already occurred.  If anything, being around fewer people buys a little time and a little freedom.   
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
ML, about your deer (they’re here too) I have not tried this trick yet but the people who have swear by it; run fishing line at 2’, 4’, & 6’ levels – about 15’ from the perimeter of your garden w/ ribbons tied on every 6-8’

Tried the hair... nada. And my garden is fenced. The other five acres I can't do much about. I have planted several hundred trees all over this place and the deer keep most of them chewed down to a few inches growth a year. sigh I'm afraid fishing line strung all over would play hell with the young man that mows my weeds. LOL

Only thing I did not see was some type of coin/bullion/barter(pawn)/book/non-electric/gun/ammo/camping/military surplus type store… OK, so that store does not exist here either but if I can’t find work I’ll have to make work.  Think I’d have any shoppers?

Oh yeah. I think quite a few of us would love to see some sort of trading post/gunsmith/survivalist store here.

Thanks again for the well written and thought out replies. I guess it did not take long to let a lil’ rant slip out, hope it does not offend those that matter.

You are welcome. And don't be afraid to post the occasional rant. Everyone else does. :)