Author Topic: Is ASAP soon enough?  (Read 10690 times)

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
Re: Is ASAP soon enough?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:37 AM »
KTK, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I'm not "fishing." Believe me. I'm as reluctant to use the web as you are, if not more so. This is one of exactly two websites that I use. This is also the reason that I have foregone introducing myself on the forum. I make a habit of keeping my personal information as personal as possible. I hope this doesn’t come as an affront to others on the forum, but I figure when I arrive and meet some folks in person, they can get to know me then. And of course you can glean some information from those thoughts I do see fit to post. But once I get to Wyoming, my use of the forum will most likely drop to near zero.

It seems that our individual intentions are very much aligned in terms of making a break for WY. While I think your assessment of the goals of the so-called movement, for a much appreciated lack of a better term, is accurate, I’m just curious to hear from some of those already in the state what they foresee for the future. I assume most anyone who might be reading this is aware of the light to medium duty totalitarianism on display in our nation already. Information is being controlled. The citizens are being monitored. And constitutional rights, what were those again? It seems clear that likeminded people congregating together in a remote territory and practicing self-sufficiency stand a better chance of dodging the oppressive arm of the police state than those trapped in Los Angeles or New York City. But are they better off anywhere in the US than someone in, say, a third world country in South America with a barely functional government? If gigantic, overbearing government is the enemy of liberty wouldn’t it seem that small, infantile, ineffectual government is better?

Obviously Wyoming is the site of the Free State phenomenon for a reason, and I’m looking forward to experiencing it for myself. But lately I’ve been wondering: what do some of the Free State folks intend to do when Big Brother upgrades from the fine 100-grit sandpaper, totalitarian rubdown that we’ve been receiving for the past several decades, to the full scale 15-grit electric belt sander stripping to the bare metal that we’re due for in the not-too-distant future? I know the fine folks here will tell me that each person can only speak for themselves, and that they have no collective plan per se. But I’d just like to know what plans, if any, some of you folks out there have for the inescapable population lock down for which we’re all headed. Do you think the mountainous and inhospitable terrain of Wyoming will provide enough cover for those who refuse to be corralled as human cattle? Or will you have to engage in guerilla style anti-aircraft attacks against the drone planes patrolling all of North America?
Nunya Bidness

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 08:07:51 AM »
But I’d just like to know what plans, if any, some of you folks out there have for the inescapable population lock down for which we’re all headed. Do you think the mountainous and inhospitable terrain of Wyoming will provide enough cover for those who refuse to be corralled as human cattle?

RaisedByWolves,

From what I understand, individuals are not moving themselves and their families to Wyoming to hide or take "cover". I'm under the impression they are going in an attempt to lead healthier lives among people with similar core values. I have a feeling people participating in this forum are well aware of ALL the "impending doom" scenerios and that's what they're preparing for, to the best of their ability. Call me crazy, but I doubt people on here are going to broadcast their "Plan B" on a public website.

A positive attitude and a solid plan for self-protection and self-preservation/sufficiency will go a long way for any of us considering the move. I think Wyoming sounds lovely and I'm really looking forward to Jamboree to get the feel for the area and current residents!

KTKEWW,

Great questions! And thanks to all those who replied, too- I've enjoyed the information shared in this thread. I would definitely shop/trade at your ammo/bullion/surplus store!

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
is Wyoming REMOTE/FREE enough?

Keep in mind the actual threats one faces. Mostly it is due to local enforcement: A bureaucrat telling you what you can do with your stuff; a cop harrassing you on the road, handing out citations for this and that, taking you down or searching through your car and planting stuff; "horizontal enforcement" by neighbors who think it's their business to stick their nose in your business. One is very unlikely almost anywhere to run into enforcement from federal goons, despite a lot of high profile noise on the Internet. When the Empire crashes and food riots are happening in the big cities, again they will have their hands full with that.

So, Wyoming is almost ideal in my view, even compared to foreign countries. It's high in "gun nuttery". People tend not to push others around here. Being a small town state, the enforcers have to live among those whom they enforce against. Despite a very high percentage of government employees (something Wyoming shares with all states of low population density) they tend not to mess with people too much - government employment is almost more a form of welfare than anything. There are exceptions of course, but social pressures do a lot to keep the enforcers halfway decent at least. Wyoming also has a "mind your own business" culture (which is hard to explain in an area where gossip is so rampant, but it seems to be the case). I suppose people like to know what their neighbors are about, but if they aren't on the same wavelength they just leave them alone.

Weston and Crook counties are small town counties in a small town state. Even better. They are nice enough places, but not so nice (compared to Cody or Sheridan or Jackson) that they draw yuppies and "improvers", people who like to appropriate tax money to fund their pet projects. A dead car on the street is not going to draw a lot of attention.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:36:37 AM by Paul Bonneau »
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Excellent insight as usual, Paul. Thanks again.
You always seem to be the one who's on my wavelength, to use your own terminology.
Nunya Bidness

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:29 AM »
Since this thread went a dozen directions, here is my .02FRNs...

Wyoming is overwhelmingly conservative.  Libertarians tend to be viewed as liberals...and with the same contempt.  However, those conservatives tend to mind their own business and leave their neighbors alone.

The internet has killed or mortally wounded most small niche businesses, that includes surplus stores.  There were two in casper ten years ago.  One is closed and the other is a yuppie camping store.

I do not know what will keep the deer out of your grocery patch.  I know the taller the fence, the bigger the deer that can get over.  A bigger appetite comes with the larger deer.  A 6' fence will keep a 140# german shepard inside your garden...that tends to discourage the deer.

As to escaping the inevitable police state...Would you rather stand with your neighbors in defiance or bow to TPTB in submission?f  Safety or freedom?  This is a deeply personal choice that only you can answer.

pW

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
I do not know what will keep the deer out of your grocery patch.  I know the taller the fence, the bigger the deer that can get over.  A bigger appetite comes with the larger deer.  A 6' fence will keep a 140# german shepard inside your garden...that tends to discourage the deer.

:o  It's amazing, however, how high even the little ones can jump. The deer totally ignored my 40# mutt. Love the idea of a 140# dog, but I'm afraid I couldn't afford to feed it. Unless I could shoot the deer, of course. Can't get there from here... sigh
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
Pedro, thanks for bringing the thread somewhat back together in answering a few of the original questions. Bummer to hear about the Casper shops, in a different environment/society they are just the type of place to base a hub of commerce.

With regards to Safety and Freedom, I think the fact that we are all trying to feel out your neighborhoods is so that when the curtain gets pulled back, we are already amongst like minded individuals. The amount of people in direct contact with you, who “saw it coming”, will not need to get through the multiple stages of understanding the new reality. At least it will not take as long, which will put us ahead of the curve.

Come to think about it, the only real decision I have left to make is not as much why I would go to WY, but why not.

Paul, “Weston and Crook counties are small town counties in a small town state. Even better.” sounds just right to me.

RBW, no hard feelings man, :D for those of us wrestling with the emotions of uprooting our lives and geographically dislocating ourselves from friends and family is a heavy burden to bear. I’m just not going out to look for a fight, if something comes up though, I would want the best by my side.

For freedom, only God knows what I am willing and able to do to achieve that for my family.

For further posts and threads… I’ll try to keep it specific… I know, I know, I’m a rookie. :-\
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
Do any of you Free Staters have any idea where you expect to be when the Big Takeover occurs? Do you think you'll be able to hold out against the powers that be, or merely resist as long as possible only to be the last hold outs to go down?

. . . But I’d just like to know what plans, if any, some of you folks out there have for the inescapable population lock down for which we’re all headed.

RBW, unless you want to seem hinky, stop asking questions like these.
They are not appropriate.

Boston

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
Although I'm not 100% clear on the definition of "hinky," reading in context, I get the point.

I have to say I'm surprised that, not just one, but several of you read my question that way. On the other hand, I have to admire this level of paranoia. I'm not trying to suss out the location of anyone's bunker.

I was trying to ask, generally speaking, if folks are of the run-and-hide notion or of the stand-together-and-fight mind set.

Clearly it's every man for himself.
Nunya Bidness

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Although I'm not 100% clear on the definition of "hinky," reading in context, I get the point.

I have to say I'm surprised that, not just one, but several of you read my question that way. On the other hand, I have to admire this level of paranoia. I'm not trying to suss out the location of anyone's bunker.

I was trying to ask, generally speaking, if folks are of the run-and-hide notion or of the stand-together-and-fight mind set.

Regardless, I don't think most people want to go into that with strangers over a public message board.  If anything, free staters value privacy.
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
OK, as the original poster, and the new guy, I think this thread has gone off, back on, and is now sliding off topic yet again.  :'(

To the moderator, or whoever has the ability, it would not hurt my feelings to see this thread get locked out. If people want to continue the conversation elsewhere, they can try to start their own thread on their own topic.

To everyone who has given fruitful feedback, I greatly appreciate it and look forward to further communication.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »
I have to say I'm surprised that, not just one, but several of you read my question that way. On the other hand, I have to admire this level of paranoia.
Wise wariness is not paranoia.

Why would you think anybody would answer such a question?

Not quite.  It's every stranger for himself.

Come out to meet us at the Jam, . . . stranger!
 ;)
Boston

Offline RaisedByWolves

• Casual Observer
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 06:46:05 AM »
Foundit, duly noted and appreciated.

Boston, fair enough. And thanks for finishing up with a friendly rejoinder. I will make an effort to attend a jam and make myself less strange.

For the record, I was not using paranoia in the pejorative sense. I consider myself a proud practicioner of practical paranoia. Just because you're paranoid- well, you know.
Nunya Bidness