Author Topic: Self-move question  (Read 11165 times)

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
Self-move question
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Just curious...if a person were to rent a U-Haul and tow a smallish car behind on a dolly, what would they need to consider (other than backing up ;D and having to take up a lot space at the pumps)?

Kingskid
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Self-move question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
Just curious...if a person were to rent a U-Haul and tow a smallish car behind on a dolly, what would they need to consider (other than backing up ;D and having to take up a lot space at the pumps)?

Kingskid

Oh... Just my 2 cents worth... find someone who really knows how to drive such a rig, for starters. :) I rented a 15 ft. truck and we towed my car. My youngest son drove it. We only got in a jam once... pulled into a motel in the dark and didn't realize there wasn't an "exit" driveway! YIKES. Tim had to back the whole rig up for quite a way.  If I'd been driving, I'd still be there. LOL

Look at "Budget" trucks. Uhaul may be a bit cheaper, but their reputation is very poor. If you have a breakdown, it could be very costly and time consuming. My move cost me about $2,000. in 2005. (So. Calif. to NE Wyoming) I can't even remember the price of gas then, but that was a large part of it.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »
Been there, done that.

We drove from Chicagoland to Lingle in the largest U-Haul available towing a small station wagon.

It's not that hard, just keep your turns wide and try not to back up.

I had NO problems driving a U-Haul and U-Haul trailer.  The people I worked with were very helpful, and it's a heck of a lot easier to load a low-deck U -Haul than a high-deck Budget.  Driving a Low Deck Truck is easier too, as the center of gravity is lower.

We had some hired help to load the truck with the boxes my wife & parents had packed... (they weren't happy about loading the 1000lbs of lead I had packaged in 75lb boxes) but I unloaded it all myself.

Not a big deal.
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
re:  ML [Oh... Just my 2 cents worth... find someone who really knows how to drive such a rig, for starters. Smiley I rented a 15 ft. truck and we towed my car. My youngest son drove it. We only got in a jam once... pulled into a motel in the dark and didn't realize there wasn't an "exit" driveway! YIKES. Tim had to back the whole rig up for quite a way.  If I'd been driving, I'd still be there. LOL]

Er, that someone is me.  No family left, nada.  On a move to Albuquerque 10 yrs ago with my job, I hauled my Virago motorcycle in a 5'x8' U-Haul and never even noticed it.  Didn't have a big car either; just a Subaru Outback.  I have a Honda Insight now but don't think it has a tow capacity.  Mind you, I'm just thinking of the possibility of a move, but being task-oriented, my mind seldom takes a break!  I have my grandmother's streak of being goof-prone at times and can just see a jack-knifed U-Haul and trailer tying up traffic for miles.  Makes my hands sweat just thinking about it!  One time I was pulling out of a shopping center on my Virago and being vertically-challenged there wasn't enough ground under my feet so the bike went over and it was too heavy for me to pick up.  The guy behind me just sat there in his car, so I went over and told him he needed to pick my bike up if he wanted to exit! ;D  Seriously, if I had to drive a U-Haul I'd go over there first and ask to drive the size van I needed around the lot to get a feel for such a huge vehicle and to make sure I could reach the pedals okay. You just have to think about such things ahead of time.  One thing for sure, if I had to back up, I would put 'er in park and go find the nearest man!  There is just no way I can do that and had tried with hauling my motorcycle.  You're supposed to turn the wheel slightly in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go, I believe, but you just have to have the knack and I ain't got it.

re: OI: We drove from Chicagoland to Lingle in the largest U-Haul available towing a small station wagon.  I had lived in Chicago also.  Graduated from Loyola Univ of Chicago and that was the best part of being there.  Well, Chicago food was pretty good, too, but didn't feel safe in that area at all.  Love wide open spaces, sparse population, food co-ops, liberty-minded people...gosh, kinda sorta sounds like Wyoming.  Hope to get a solid sense of the place in a couple of weeks.

Offline kunkmiester

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
Just remember that a one-way rental is expensive, as Mama mentioned.  Backing a trailer is tricky, as mentioned try to avoid it.
Evil is evil, no matter how small.

Thermonuclear weapons make me happy!

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
We moved all our stuff from NV (and CA) in Uhaul trailers. I used a Plymouth Voyager for my stuff and a Toyota RAV4 for my wife's. Probably made 5 trips total. Very expensive for the trailer. The trick is to NEVER BACK UP if you don't have the skill. No problem. Park on the street in front of the motel. Park at the edge of WM. Pull thru the gas pumps. Swing wide. Just be cautious.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
Ah, a motorcycle mama. Just look us up for our "survival motorcycles" discussion. Is that Virago the 250? That is definitely on the survival motorcycle list with its insane fuel economy. I've had an itch to try it out.

If I can fit it in the van, I will bring my survival Triumph.  ::)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Brandy

• Submissive in totality to one only.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Making turns ;D  We pulled a 20 ft trailer from NM behind a Yukon.

I'll ask my hubby--he was an OTRTD and might have hints

Brandy ~W~
Veritas numquam perit - Truth never perishes!

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
  Mind you, I'm just thinking of the possibility of a move, 

If you decide in the future that a move to WY is right for you, let me know and I can most likely help. Uhaul/Budget might be your best bet (based on the weather at the time) but if not I have towing capacity, an open trailer I can borrow (or you can rent an enclosed one), and experience backing either when necessary. We are both in CO, and CO to WY is a short drive in terms of moving- especially if you can get it in one trip!

Don't worry about it- where there's a will, there's a way!

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 10:51:14 PM »

If you decide in the future that a move to WY is right for you, let me know and I can most likely help. Uhaul/Budget might be your best bet (based on the weather at the time) but if not I have towing capacity, an open trailer I can borrow (or you can rent an enclosed one), and experience backing either when necessary. We are both in CO, and CO to WY is a short drive in terms of moving- especially if you can get it in one trip!

I am moving from CO to WY next weekend. :)
"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »

I am moving from CO to WY next weekend. :)

Most of the weekend of 2/3 June I'll (along with the rest of Lingle) be having a Garage Sale.

I've got X-country Skis & piles of digital crap if you want some...  >:D
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline mystica

• FSW Associate
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »

Kingskid

Jack-knifing on the open road, but most of the big moving vans have a governor at 55 or 60 so you just find yourself going tediously slow. Backing up, as others have said, but it's not hard to anticipate your situation, mama's late night motel fiasco aside. I drove from South FLA to Colorado in a 20' Hertz-Penske towing an 8' UHaul and sharing the cab with two big dogs; the most difficult situation was Atlanta at rush hour in the rain (make sure you have good side mirrors). You wouldn't be driving so far so overnights might not be an issue but for the multi-day trip, I got a van with a pass thru door from the cab to the back and my buddy made me a little sleeping area so I didn't have to worry about hotels. It was very cozy.

As to rates (IF/WHEN you decide to move, and I hope you'll call me for the trip if there's room with all your furry pals ;)), I found that they fluctuate madly and it's worth reserving early and checking back for a better rate.

Offline mystica

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:49 PM »

One time I was pulling out of a shopping center on my Virago and being vertically-challenged there wasn't enough ground under my feet so the bike went over and it was too heavy for me to pick up.  The guy behind me just sat there in his car, so I went over and told him he needed to pick my bike up if he wanted to exit!

OK girl, I've got 4 words for you: "Iron Buffalo Motorcycle Training". They're in Commerce City, ask for Erik. It's a weekend of incredible motorcycle training. You'll have a blast.

You're supposed to turn the wheel slightly in the opposite direction you want the trailer to go, I believe, but you just have to have the knack and I ain't got it.

Or put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want the trailer to go  :P

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
Wow, such great replies!!

Paul:  I will check out your survival motorcycles discussion!  I sold my Virago 1100cc several years ago as I got tired of riding alone.  First started riding in 1968 and really enjoy it.  My favorite one was a Yamaha Route 66, 250cc.  Looked like a baby Harley and was a good bike for shorter trips, but for the long road trips going to rallies all over, I needed a bigger bike to keep up with the more powerful ones.  On a long stretch shortly after getting the Virago, I passed five cars in a row, no problem.  Couldn't have done that with the Rt 66.  I may get another bike someday so kept all the gear that goes with one, except for the leather gear the Albuquerque lady packers stole from me.  Lost my best pair of chaps, but still have my boots.  They are engineer boots with an extra thick sole.  Definitely not a dainty lady boot.

Mystica:  I got the riding thing down pretty much, it's the "picking the bike up when you drop it" thing that I have trouble with! ;D  If this WY thing happens, I will definitely let you know.  Heck, you've already been there and done that with a 20' hauling an 8' U-Haul, and on a much longer move.

OI:  I need to have a garage sale, too!  Been giving a lot of stuff to Goodwill lately.  Great for tax deduction.  Sure have a lot of T-posts.  May try to advertise on CL.  Good to hear about your U-Haul experience.

Foundit:  Congratulations; keep it safe!

AIM:  "Where there is a will, there is a way" is something I truly live by.  It's so true.  Thanks for the offer.  You, Mystica, other single ladies, and I need to get together at the rally!

Mac:  Good advice all around.  Been think that if this actually happens, it might (or might not?) be better to take the back way on Hwy 71.  I took that route several years ago when I decided to ride to Sturgis.

You know, something I've been thinking about lately is this:  I live in a pretty densely populated place east of the Springs, and have some acquaintances, but it dawned on me:  I'm lonely!  It's not just having people in your life; it's having people who share those things that are most meaningful.  Guess I'm a bit bored, too.  There is nothing left for me to do here in Colorado and there are places to go and things to do....

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
mcphoto.tif

Trying to insert pic of my Virago...taken about 15 yrs ago at a rally up in Steamboat Springs.