Author Topic: Libertarians need love, too  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Tomsbass

Libertarians need love, too
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and I have a question. But first, a brief background: I began following the FSP several years ago when it first started, with great interest, and I even considered joining. I eventually decided not to join for several reasons, one of which is my belief that they made a big mistake in choosing New Hampshire over Wyoming, a belief that I'm sure most of you share. Nonetheless, I continued to follow the group from afar, interested to see how it would turn out. At the time, by the way, I had never been to either NH or WY (I live in St. Louis). Meanwhile, I went on a hunting trip to Wyoming 3 years ago, and practically fell in love with the place. So I started researching Wyoming, and  most of what I learned supported my idea that it might be a good place for a guy like me to move. All the while, I had no idea that FSW even existed until just recently when I stumbled across a reference to it on the City-Data forum. So I checked out this site, and here I am. Since I was seriously considering moving to WY anyway, the news that you folks are there is very pleasant icing on the cake.

It so happens this fall will find me in WY again on another hunting trip. So my question is this: while I'm there, would some of you like to get together over a libation and teach me a little about the state and FSW? The most useful thing I took away from the FSP website came from a guy who posted an essay about his experience visiting NH in order to meet some of the FSP folks and find out if NH was right for him. He said, in so many words, " I may or may not move, but I can't overemphasize how wonderful it felt to be surrounded, for the first time in my life, by like-minded people who didn't roll their eyes at me, the "crazy" libertarian." That sentence really struck a chord with me. If you've ever been to St. Louis, you know it is hardly a bastion of libertarianism. It's astounding how lonely one can feel while in the middle of 2,000,000 people, simply because almost none of those people share your values, beliefs, and priorities. Simply put, we libertarians need love, too. But we (all 5 of us) don't get much around here.

I'll be hunting Elk just outside Buffalo from Sept.27-Oct.1. Then I will have 3 days to kill before heading up to Montana on Oct.5 for the start of pheasant season. If anyone of you FSWers in NE Wyoming would like to hook up during those 3 days, it would sure be great. We could meet somewhere over lunch or whatever and just shoot the bull, or whatever you folks feel like doing. I just think it would be a great opportunity for me to get a feel for FSW and what I can expect if I decide to join, as well as just feel the joy of being around people who don't suffer from anatomical displacement ( i.e., think with your head and sh** with your ass, rather than the other way 'round).

Let me know, and we'll see if we can make it happen! Take care,

Tom S. Bass 

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
Re: Libertarians need love, too
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
Tom,

Welcome to the fray. I am not there yet but I am sure you will enjoy any time spent on this forum. You will find many points of view from many different people, and find that they will all respect yours. Any liberty focused topic you like, you’ll find it somewhere here. (OTOH, I have not found the antidote for the recent addiction I have developed for conversing with all these fine folks!)

FSW just had their annual Jamboree last week or so, for a good feel for the community and their treatment of each other, check out this thread. http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=13193.0

That should get you all warm and fuzzy about them.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Foundit

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Emmigrated To And Now Living In Wyoming
    • Flooring Help
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and I have a question. But first, a brief background: I began following the FSP several years ago when it first started, with great interest, and I even considered joining. I eventually decided not to join for several reasons, one of which is my belief that they made a big mistake in choosing New Hampshire over Wyoming, a belief that I'm sure most of you share. Nonetheless, I continued to follow the group from afar, interested to see how it would turn out. At the time, by the way, I had never been to either NH or WY (I live in St. Louis). Meanwhile, I went on a hunting trip to Wyoming 3 years ago, and practically fell in love with the place. So I started researching Wyoming, and  most of what I learned supported my idea that it might be a good place for a guy like me to move. All the while, I had no idea that FSW even existed until just recently when I stumbled across a reference to it on the City-Data forum. So I checked out this site, and here I am. Since I was seriously considering moving to WY anyway, the news that you folks are there is very pleasant icing on the cake.

It so happens this fall will find me in WY again on another hunting trip. So my question is this: while I'm there, would some of you like to get together over a libation and teach me a little about the state and FSW? The most useful thing I took away from the FSP website came from a guy who posted an essay about his experience visiting NH in order to meet some of the FSP folks and find out if NH was right for him. He said, in so many words, " I may or may not move, but I can't overemphasize how wonderful it felt to be surrounded, for the first time in my life, by like-minded people who didn't roll their eyes at me, the "crazy" libertarian." That sentence really struck a chord with me. If you've ever been to St. Louis, you know it is hardly a bastion of libertarianism. It's astounding how lonely one can feel while in the middle of 2,000,000 people, simply because almost none of those people share your values, beliefs, and priorities. Simply put, we libertarians need love, too. But we (all 5 of us) don't get much around here.

I'll be hunting Elk just outside Buffalo from Sept.27-Oct.1. Then I will have 3 days to kill before heading up to Montana on Oct.5 for the start of pheasant season. If anyone of you FSWers in NE Wyoming would like to hook up during those 3 days, it would sure be great. We could meet somewhere over lunch or whatever and just shoot the bull, or whatever you folks feel like doing. I just think it would be a great opportunity for me to get a feel for FSW and what I can expect if I decide to join, as well as just feel the joy of being around people who don't suffer from anatomical displacement ( i.e., think with your head and sh** with your ass, rather than the other way 'round).

Let me know, and we'll see if we can make it happen! Take care,

Tom S. Bass 

If you are just looking to "check out," Wyoming is a good place to do that.  If you are looking to get involved with anything political or with a community, Sundance/Crook county is the place to be.  There are lot of FSW/Libertarian types in Sundance.  We moved here a month ago.

We would love to hang out.  If you don't mind kids, you can crash on our couch.  PM me.

"If I cared for my life, I would have lost it long ago, trying to lose it, I find I cannot throw it away." -Bloody Bill Anderson

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
Welcome!

If you are looking to get involved with anything political or with a community, Sundance/Crook county is the place to be.  There are lot of FSW/Libertarian types in Sundance.  We moved here a month ago.

Sundance is nice; I lived there for a year.  I finally settled on Weston County for a couple reasons.  You, of course, will have to make your own decision.

Remind us as the date approaches; I'm sure Mama Liberty will want to call the Weston County clan for lunch, coffee, an adult beverage, or all of the above.

Best of luck!
Kelly
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
Welcome! And please do plan to come see us here in Weston county. I'd love to have you visit. Just let us know when and PM for directions.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
And I'm here in Crook County!

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Tomsbass

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
Thanks for all the kindly replies! As the date approaches, I'll check back in to firm things up. I'll be driving through Crook County on I-90, so I'll be in close proximity to you Crook County folks anyway. I'll also be sure to follow this forum more and check out the other threads.

Take care!

Offline JBryce

• Reader
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
I grew up in St. Louis (Richmond Heights and Clayton in particular), so I know where you're coming from. I'm living close by, so I should be available to meet with you when you head this way for hunting season.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
Welcome here, Tom.
Always good to have a hunter visit us!

Regards,
Boston

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Tom, I will be guiding hunters here at the ranch that weekend, but I should have some spare time. Our place is south of Gillette a short ways. Stay in touch and perhaps we can get together.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2