Author Topic: I'm mentally committed.  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Truman

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
I'm mentally committed.
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
Dear Freestaters,

My name is Truman, and over the past couple of years, I have slowly morphed into an unwavering proponent of freedom. I became more aware of my surroundings beginning in the 2008 Presidential Election. My racial heritage is half white, half Asian; my father married my mother, who is from Taiwan. I often have difficulty communicating with her about political issues because she doesn't quite understand. Anyway, courses like economics have further enlightened me to the evils of big government. And now I'm extremely concerned about the future. I am Christian, a gun-lover, and worry about the future and thriving as a free person and raising a good family in love. Right now, I am 18 years old. I'm moving to Utah from Texas for college and plan to major in geology. More than anything else, I need to be a fighter for liberty and would like to be around people who share my ideals. I don't really care about someone's religion or race or way of life (even if it's Islam, racial minorities or homosexuality); as long as they are just as committed to liberty as I am. So, I think that I'm pretty tolerant towards anything that doesn't have to do with controlling people. There's just too much swirling around in my head, but the gist of all this is that I dream of the day when I can join you, even if it is several years from now. I'm simply overjoyed that this is real; that there are people banding together to stand up for each other like this. It truly is a ray of hope in this tumultuous society of ours.

Regards,

Truman

P.S. Expect me in the forums!  :)
Give me liberty or prepare for death!

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: I'm mentally committed.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:38:19 PM »
Welcome! How wonderful to have young people become aware of their self ownership and responsibility for themselves.

But Wyoming has a good college too... why go to Utah?

Eager to talk with you too. :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Truman

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »
Oh, I was offered a scholarship and there is family nearby, hence the Utah location for college. I'm also thinking about being in the National Guard at the same time as a student... does anyone have experience with that? My family has always been financially strained so I really feel the need to become self sufficient ASAP.

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »
The guard is a cheap way to learn a trade or craft. There are some scholarships and college assistance available.  They are the usual recruiting tools.  Infantry and field artillery will not get you anywhere in the outside.
However...
Being in the federal guard and promoting small government could be viewed as a paradox... :-\
A commitment to the guard now means going anywhere in the world at the whim of the CiC at any time.  It would also place you in a position that may compromise your values and your duties.  It aint the same hometown protectors that it was 2 decades ago.

pW

Offline Truman

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
I completely understand where your point of view is coming from, Pedro (about the paradox). However, I think that perhaps the training may benefit me even more than it does the National Guard. The skills and leadership might come in handy. And I don't personally see a problem with helping out in a natural disaster (unless it's illegally taking guns away from citizens). To be sure, it's an important decision and I don't plan to decide until after I finish a year of college. Right now, at the age of 18, my priorities are achieving self sufficiency and securing a good education; and of course, getting to Hot Springs County ASAP! By the way, I would love to hear some anecdotes or any experiences from any of the folks out there. :)

Offline KTKEWW

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
And I don't personally see a problem with helping out in a natural disaster (unless it's illegally taking guns away from citizens).

Ahhh, to be young again… no offense meant by that, Truman, it’s just that that is what I said when I joined my State guard. Tornados, floods, stuff like that… until 2001. They pulled out ALL the stops and from 9/14/01 till we got back from Iraq “illegally taking guns away from citizens” months after my enlistment was up in 2004, I was active duty, full time. I had about 3 months at home between tours, but my life was put on hold.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders now, the militaries job is to knock it off and reset your thinking, so tread lightly.

You can find just as good leadership training in the fire service (or college, since you’re already going to be there), and better woodcraft training in the boy scouts, and better rifleman training in the Appleseed program. If you still have the hankering to help out in a natural disaster, drive to the scene and volunteer, then you can put your morals in front of your orders without suffering repercussions (morally or civically).

My .02, and welcome to the Forum!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Tom Paine, 1776

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

"Knowledge is the pathway from slavery to freedom" -- Frederick Douglass

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
I agree with pW and KTKEWW completely. There are a lot better ways to get a trade under your belt, ways that won't compromise your morals. I'm one of those rare birds that actually did learn his trade in the military; but if I had to do it all over again, I would find another way to do it (and I wouldn't go to college either...). At least I got lucky - I never was put in the position of having to kill someone else who was defending his country from invaders. But that was pure dumb luck.

BTW I love the title of this thread.  ;)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Truman

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:51:50 PM »
Thanks, Paul. And KTKEWW, what you talked about is really scary. Being a de facto militiaman for your country is one thing, but being federalized and sent to unjust foreign wars is a real possibility in the Guard, especially with an EIGHT year commitment. I guess I thought that the most recent wars were winding down with troops leaving, but Mitt's a tricky one, I can tell. Just seeing some of those trigger happy Republicans like Gingrich debating a few months ago really has me worried that we'll be pulled into a war with Iran. By the way, how have libertarian politics been shaping up at the local level up there?

Offline Truman

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
I'd like to have some advice from any of you willing to share... I'm sure that I plan on completing college in UT over the course of the next few years, but am truly unsure of what to major in. Because I am just starting out, I don't want to make the wrong choice. To be clear, I REALLY WANT to get to Wyoming in the future. So what sort of major what be useful? My declared major so far is geology, although I'm quite afraid that this will merely lead me back to where I am right now: Houston, Texas (with Exxon or some other energy company).

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
I'd like to have some advice from any of you willing to share... I'm sure that I plan on completing college in UT over the course of the next few years, but am truly unsure of what to major in. Because I am just starting out, I don't want to make the wrong choice. To be clear, I REALLY WANT to get to Wyoming in the future. So what sort of major what be useful? My declared major so far is geology, although I'm quite afraid that this will merely lead me back to where I am right now: Houston, Texas (with Exxon or some other energy company).

We have lots of mining and energy industry here in Wyoming.

The question I have is, "what do you want to do with your life?" If mining or oilfield stuff isn't what you love to do, maybe you need to look at it more closely. Have you written down a complete list of pros and cons for each possibility you see? Might give you a lot to think about.

Offline Truman

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Thanks. The truth is, any career that I start with is likely to be a starting point for me to get into something else. My true dream is to work in the firearm manufacturing/tactical solutions/gear maker and dealer industry as an entrepreneur. I've spent countless hours poring over this genre of information. One of the problems is that I don't know quite how to get my foot in the door...

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
Thanks. The truth is, any career that I start with is likely to be a starting point for me to get into something else. My true dream is to work in the firearm manufacturing/tactical solutions/gear maker and dealer industry as an entrepreneur. I've spent countless hours poring over this genre of information. One of the problems is that I don't know quite how to get my foot in the door...

Excellent. I'm not seeing how spending 4 years or so in Utah studying geology leads you to firearms manufacture.... but....

I'd study chemistry, physics, mechanical engineering, stuff like that instead. Why go halfway around the globe in the wrong direction first?

Get whatever work you can to make a living while you continue to study firearms. Maybe you can work with a good gunsmith as an apprentice for a while? I'd think the possibilities were pretty open ended here.

Good luck! We will always need firearms, one kind or another. I've anxiously awaited something REALLY new for a long time.  Where's my phaser and tricorder, dag nab it? LOL

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
Yeah.  What Mama said.  Consider other subjects as well that would be useful if a catastrophe happened.  Vet sciences would be a good example.

Chemistry and physics has got me out of a LOT of hard work.
pW

Offline AtomsInMotion

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:04:01 AM »
Oh, I was offered a scholarship and there is family nearby, hence the Utah location for college. I'm also thinking about being in the National Guard at the same time as a student... does anyone have experience with that? My family has always been financially strained so I really feel the need to become self sufficient ASAP.

Hi Truman,

If you were offered a full scholarship, I'd say go for it as long as it's going to cover housing and all other expenses. Congrats on that, you must've worked pretty hard so far in your studies!

Be cautious, though, if you'll need to take out any additional loans/FAFSA- read the fine print... three or four times!! It's fantastic you are ready to become self-sufficient, the sooner the better, for sure. You say your family has always been financially strained, so keep in mind that if you agree to a student loan it will be a LONG time before you pay it off, especially if you're not 100% sure what you want to do in life. There's really no rush to go to college, unless it's a FULL scholarship- those interest rates are *astounding* (may hinder that self-sufficiency goal in the long run), and if you don't land a job in your field right off the bat you may feel like you're paying for something you didn't even get to use.

Instead of the National Guard, maybe think about participating in an internship/apprenticeship in a field that TRULY interests you (whether you go to college or not)- something that will make you happy and will not belittle your value system... a skill people will need now and in the future. It never hurts to travel a bit, get some work experience under your belt and even more (free) self-education... take your time.

MamaLiberty's idea of making lists of pros and cons for each thing that interests you is a great idea. Talk to as many people as you can about their experience in the military- what they learned, what they did and didn't like, what skills they acquired that they now use in their daily life/job. I'm sure this will help you make a sound decision. Once you sign up, you're in, so don't rush it. Talk to those who've been there, done that ("young" and "old")- they will have invaluable insight on the matter. (Like these guys said, the military is not what it used to be.)

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders already, no need to rush into anything! Maybe get a job that makes you feel good (productive, at least) and use that income to become self-sufficient. It doesn't happen overnight, but it takes way longer if you have to borrow/sacrifice too much to get there.

Good luck in your planning, you'll do great!!

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
My true dream is to work in the firearm manufacturing/tactical solutions/gear maker and dealer industry as an entrepreneur.
If that is your "true dream" then I would recommend that you
go for it!

I wish that my Modules for Manhood were already published, as I think
you'd get a lot from it.  But, meanwhile, I'll ponder over what advice I can
give you here and post soon.

Welcome!
Boston