Author Topic: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum  (Read 29949 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Re: Request: new Amateur Radio sub-forum
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
I used to ride my bike by his place and look at the antennae. Sometimes my biking friend and I used to stop and rest under a tree in front of Sheri's and the "girls" would yell out the windows and invite us in for a tease. Pahrump is known for being the closest town and lodging to Front Sight as well as the closest legal brothels to Las Vegas. But I digress . . . . .

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:27 PM »
Is anyone operating an Echolink node in WY?  I would like to get on and visit but need the "address". 
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
Is anyone operating an Echolink node in WY?  I would like to get on and visit but need the "address". 

#750622.  Doing a search for Wyoming shows:

*Wyoming* - Wyoming Reflector - Node# 256748
N0VOW-R - Node# 342623
KC7BJY-L - Node# 363938

Terence
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:13:09 AM by Terence »
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
Thanks much. I will start playing with them. Listen for me!  KF7YMN.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »
Hmmmm. Don't know about that!
I'm still using that old analog SSB stuff.
But then again, 40 years ago I was using digital, but in a different format:

--   .-   -.-.

;D

<Edmund Burke>

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
..-. -.. -. -. -.--

Morse is fun...still working to increase my listening speed, but I can send fairly quickly. It's necessary to learn to hear the letters...you can't translate quickly enough.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!

Offline clemmac

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
My son twisted my arm to study for the Technician's test, then dragged me to Sundance where we both passed Technician and both failed miserably the General test.  I plan to try the General test again in February or so, this fall on the ranch has been too busy for me to get serious about study.

My beginners radio is supposed to arrive next Monday, I've gathered some other bits and pieces to make it go when it arrives.  Son Lorn made his first contact with a guy in Florida on Monday and was elated about that  :)

Clem   KF7ZQL

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
My son twisted my arm to study for the Technician's test, then dragged me to Sundance where we both passed Technician and both failed miserably the General test.  I plan to try the General test again in February or so, this fall on the ranch has been too busy for me to get serious about study.

My beginners radio is supposed to arrive next Monday, I've gathered some other bits and pieces to make it go when it arrives.  Son Lorn made his first contact with a guy in Florida on Monday and was elated about that  :)

Clem   KF7ZQL

CONGRATs to you and Lorn, Clem!

Sounds like you've done more than a few things right since Lorn is dragging you rather
than the other way around.

Terence   AE7WM
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline clemmac

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
Yah, my "little boy" has grown up and is quite a guy, we're very proud of him.  He gregarious and likes to meet new folks, he's looking forward to making more contacts with his radio.  Spouse and are both introverts and reclusive and can't figure where we went right with this kid  ;D

Middle son Ross in Minnesota, perked up his ears when he heard that Lorn and dad had become Hams.  He a techie kind of guy and will probably follow our lead and become an amateur radio guy also, just so we don't get ahead of him  ;D

I obtained my first FCC license in 1961 when I was a student pilot, it's a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit", I used it almost daily while driving airplanes, until I retired in 1990.

Clem

Offline Terence

• McGillespie.com
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:27 PM »
Yah, my "little boy" has grown up and is quite a guy, we're very proud of him.  He gregarious and likes to meet new folks, he's looking forward to making more contacts with his radio.  Spouse and are both introverts and reclusive and can't figure where we went right with this kid  ;D

Middle son Ross in Minnesota, perked up his ears when he heard that Lorn and dad had become Hams.  He a techie kind of guy and will probably follow our lead and become an amateur radio guy also, just so we don't get ahead of him  ;D

I obtained my first FCC license in 1961 when I was a student pilot, it's a "Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit", I used it almost daily while driving airplanes, until I retired in 1990.

Clem

That license category is still active, Clem: Very well respected on commercial ships.

Three is better than one and one is better than none . . . on the airwaves. I look forward
to a QSO from all of you.

Terence

Offline clemmac

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »

That license category is still active, Clem: Very well respected on commercial ships.

Mine is very worn and tattered, I needed to carry it with me every day I went flying, the company line check airmen or FAA guys would ask to see the darn permit once a year or so.

I look forward to a QSO from all of you.

Terence

Who knows, I just might get brave enough to press that transmit button again some day and you'll probably hear from my boys someday too  ;D

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »

Things must have changed. When I got my FAA/FCC pilot's radio license (late 80's), it was just a dumb mail-in form where my "license" was a part of the card they just cut out and sent back. There was no test, just a fee. Like the old CB licenses (blue paper, four bucks, mine was KACR5042.)
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline clemmac

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
Yup, same thing in 1961, " just a dumb mail-in form where my "license" was a part of the card they just cut out and sent back.".  Not a very important .gov permit in my estimation  ???  Still, if I hadn't had the silly permit in possession, they would have shut down the whole flight at the next stop and sent for a new captain.  RULES ARE RULES, you know !  ;D

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »
..-. -.. -. -. -.--

Morse is fun...still working to increase my listening speed, but I can send fairly quickly. It's necessary to learn to hear the letters...you can't translate quickly enough.

I'm afraid you need to work on your accuracy as well!
What you sent was:
FDNNY

Mac
I guess none of the other hams here noticed?
<Edmund Burke>

Offline HCM2B

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
I definitely need to work on my accuracy!  That slip is the funniest of all!  Good catch.

On a brighter note, have begun acquiring some gear. I now have a 40' push up pole, a couple more handhelds, and have it on hood authority that Santa will be delivering a Diamond  antenna along with a Kenwood TM-V71A. Things are definitely looking up.
Solus Optimus Satis Est.

Σιωπή! Σκοτώνω του!