Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 6681 times)

Offline DRIZZTFEZ

• Reader
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Hello my name is John. I am 25 married and have a 2 month old daughter :). I am sorry if this is not where I should post I have never been on a forum before. I have lived most of my life in Florida. It is hard for me to be happy unless I am in the outdoors. I stumbled on this site after doing research on Wyoming and I think I is amazing to find so many like minded people. My dream is to move my family somewhere where we can be as free from disturbing government rule. I am saving now so I can buy a good parcel of land and do some homesteading. I dont want this to come off wrong or ignorant but my family is multiracial and I wonder what kind of treatment we may receive because of it. Just wanted to introduce myself. Again sorry if I am posting incorrectly.
Just let me live.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:18 PM »
I'm not in Wyoming either, but I'm sure the people on this forum will quickly & eagerly welcome your family.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:23 PM »
. . .I dont want this to come off wrong or ignorant but my family is multiracial and I wonder what kind of treatment we may receive because of it. Just wanted to introduce myself. Again sorry if I am posting incorrectly.

I think you'll find people are more interested in what happens between the
ears and what comes out of the mouth.

Welcome and good luck with your savings plan. Prices are coming down
a bit so that will help.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline DRIZZTFEZ

• Reader
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I am glad to hear that. I am sorry to even ask such a question I just want my daughter to grow up being comfortable with who she is.
Just let me live.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
I am glad to hear that. I am sorry to even ask such a question

No biggie. It's better to answer questions than to have doubt. For the most part, I think "race" or appearance is either nothing or just an interesting conversation item. It could be the equivalent of, "So your father came from Japan and your mother from Tonga? Wow. Tell me more."

I just want my daughter to grow up being comfortable with who she is.

Well, that is between you and her. If you are a good parent, she will be fine "with who she is" no matter where the location.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:46:09 AM »
Welcome! Hope you can visit us here in the NE part of the state. I'd love to meet you and your daughter. This old grandma doesn't get nearly enough kid "fixes." :)
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline DRIZZTFEZ

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »
The ne is where I am looking most right now. :) We plan on visiting around new years. I figure go when its cold so I can get a feel for it. Like I said I'm a Florida boy so I have to get use to it.
Just let me live.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
The ne is where I am looking most right now. :) We plan on visiting around new years. I figure go when its cold so I can get a feel for it. Like I said I'm a Florida boy so I have to get use to it.

I expect it would take a year or so to actually get used to it, but a January visit will most certainly give you a very good idea what you'd need to get used to if you settle here - but you won't see how beautiful it is the rest of the year that way. :) It's going to be quite a change from Florida, in any case. Looking forward to meeting you.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
It is true that up here in Crook county it's been months since I've seen a black person in town.
And the only Asian people I've seen work at the Gillette Walmart nail salon!

So it is pretty darn "white" up here.
No bilingual signs at the Gillette or Spearfish, SD, Walmarts. Once in a while I hear customers talking in Spanish at the Gillette store, but not the Spearfish store.

But anyone of any race would find immediate acceptance by the folks here on this forum as long as they are interested in freedom rather than big government, hard work rather than handouts, and private property rights rather than collectivism.

But I can't speak for the folks that surround me in this county. They don't even like me because I'm an "outsider" and not a rancher. I have one of those postage stamp 48 acre plots of land you know. There's a lot of "the good old boys club" around here, especially in politics. It's the old families that are imbedded as the clerk, treasurer, mayor(s), etc. I have no idea how accepted a person of "other than white" background would be treated in every day life here. Just don't know. Nothing to base it on. There's a lot of old traditions in Wyoming.

Mac
My situation is somewhat different than most other folks on the forum in that I live out in the boondocks and most of my neighbors are ranchers. It would be different in even the small towns (Sundance, Hulett, Moorcroft, Newcastle) where everyone is "townfolk".
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
... I dont want this to come off wrong or ignorant but my family is multiracial and I wonder what kind of treatment we may receive because of it. ...

Human Race and what else?  ???  As long as you are married to a Human no one worth knowing will care. :D

Welcome aboard.  ;D

(Now, if you've got some neat cross-cultural/"ethnic" foods you want to share, you will REALLY make friends...  8) )
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:43:38 PM by Old Ironsights »
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »
I am saving now so I can buy a good parcel of land and do some homesteading.

Keep in mind the differences between Wyoming and eastern states, in the amount of land needed for subsistence. It's not very productive land. Also need to have the water situation squared away. It's a lot better to start in a town somewhere and take your time finding land, figuring out what you really need. This has been talked about a lot on the forum.

Nobody cares about race.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Old Ironsights

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Malum Prohibitum, Malum Habenae Regum est
    • מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Nobody cares about race.

I liked Death Race 2000...  >:D
Anarchy ungodly? See 1 Sam. 8

The desire to control the life of others is more evil than the desire to simply kill them.
The desire to control the life of others by proxy, through “voting”, is just as evil… but more cowardly.

מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין

Offline DRIZZTFEZ

• Reader
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
  I did not take into account less fertile land. I am glad you brought it up. I guess that means I will have to work that much harder. I am getting experience with that here in southern cali right now alot of work to get the ground ready for planting.
Just let me live.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:49 PM »
I highly recommend "square foot gardening". (See if your library has a copy.) In short, your "soil" is a combination of vermiculite (water storage), peat moss (water distribution), and compost (plant nutrients). Plants don't need rocks, sand, or other inorganic crap. Give them what they want, and they will do well.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"