Author Topic: Considering Moving to Wyoming from Michigan  (Read 4983 times)

Offline lengthyounarther

Considering Moving to Wyoming from Michigan
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
Greetings, I am considering moving to Wyoming in the context of free state Wyoming.  I am from Michigan and have been a strong libertarian since around the time I was 12.  I graduated college in 2008 and last year finished paying off all my student loans and other debts.  I am now saving up to purchase a home/property.  I have been an avid reader of Boston’s since about 2005 or 2006 and had the chance to meet him at Porcfest this year.  Even more than that I’ve long felt an allure from “The West”, and having traveled across Wyoming several times last year would consider moving there.  I’ve other prospects also.  Michigan despite a less than stellar state government does have lots of cheap yet arable land.  I’m also considering New Hampshire and a few other options.  I’m posting mostly as a perspective mover.  I want to avoid a mortgage, so until I have saved enough I’m not going to commit to a location, but I am looking into Wyoming.  Only so much can be said in text, so below is a link of a video I made on my youtube channel that deals with my thinking on the free state movements in more detail than I want to delve into with a  text format.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3MzOS5YjU

Offline B-LINE

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
Re: Considering Moving to Wyoming from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:56 AM »
I haven't watched your video. The choice is yours. You have to decide what your priorities are. If you can't make your own decision, why would you ask other people to make it for you?  ???

Offline Jackpot

• Social Type
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
I haven't watched your video. The choice is yours. You have to decide what your priorities are. If you can't make your own decision, why would you ask other people to make it for you?  ???

I dont believe hes asking you to make the choice for him. 

Im not an FSW member but I do pay alot of attention to both groups, and I think I have a decent feel for what both groups are about and what both groups goals are.  The FS NH group is ALOT more concentrated on activism, so much so that from the outside looking in, it seems that its their main goal.  Whereas, the FSW does little to no activism and is more concentrated on coexisting.  Both groups obviously are far more complex but this is what I see for the majority.  One other thing that I have noticed is that the FSW group seems to be made up of an older generation while the NH group is made up prominently of the younger generations. 

Another aspect that Ive noticed is that the FSW group shoots...alot.  Im a big shooter myself so I shoot with several of the members and train with them.  The most shooting Ive seen from the NH group seems to be stapling targets to trees.  Both groups do what theyre good at and they do them very well. 
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »
The final decision is what kind of place you can get, how free you are, and whether you will be better off one place or another, and ultimately happier.

So many things go into the mix. Every situation and individual is unique.

My advice: do a lot of homework.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline lengthyounarther

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:10 AM »
B-Line: 
I don’t see how anything I wrote could be construed as indicating an inability to make decisions or soliciting anybody to make one for me.   When I spoke to Boston he said check out the forums.  When I saw the thread about prospective movers I posted on it.  I don’t see how that could justify asking me a loaded question that is premised on my being unable to make a decision.   All my post says is that I’m a new poster and a little bit of my background.  It doesn’t ask anybody to make up my mind for me.  I’ve interacted with people from FSNH before and thought I might do the same with FSW people.  Posting here was just an attempt to get to know some of you folks in Wyoming.  I thought getting to know a little bit about you guys would be helpful in the decision making process.    I didn’t realize doing so would be considered rank indecision by anybody. 

Offline Jackpot

• Social Type
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
B-Line: 
I don’t see how anything I wrote could be construed as indicating an inability to make decisions or soliciting anybody to make one for me.   When I spoke to Boston he said check out the forums.  When I saw the thread about prospective movers I posted on it.  I don’t see how that could justify asking me a loaded question that is premised on my being unable to make a decision.   All my post says is that I’m a new poster and a little bit of my background.  It doesn’t ask anybody to make up my mind for me.  I’ve interacted with people from FSNH before and thought I might do the same with FSW people.  Posting here was just an attempt to get to know some of you folks in Wyoming.  I thought getting to know a little bit about you guys would be helpful in the decision making process.    I didn’t realize doing so would be considered rank indecision by anybody. 

Welcome to the internet hahaha.  B-Line is an excellent person normally, he must have read your post wrong.
"Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others." -Edward Abbey

Offline Terence

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
    • McGillespie.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 01:50:07 PM »

I watched your video and read all the comments. 

You can only optimize the balance of your "Fight, Flight, Hide" elements
to the extent you know the purpose of your life and the activities, work
and people that will surround it.  Along those lines I'd recommend getting a passport
and traveling while doing so is still relatively easy. Staring out the window of
a train or a rental car on your way to Bariloche will inform your choices as much, or
more, than reading Doug Casey articles about South America and the pros/cons of
ex-pat living.

You've described Boston as being in your 'Hiding' category yet he is quite
outspoken about all things liberty and how to achieve it, both personally
and in general. Have you thought about that paradox?   The pen is mightier
than the sword and always will be. Writing and speaking are the most elegant, effective, long-term and powerful ways to fight for anything you believe in except for the most powerful of all: How you live.

Ears are to hear only what the eyes miss.  If your life is consistent with
your values and beliefs you'll have no trouble being heard and all the influence
on others you can stand to manage.

Terence
Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Offline kingskid

• Mover and Shaker
  • Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:29:32 AM »
You've described Boston as being in your 'Hiding' category yet he is quite
outspoken about all things liberty and how to achieve it, both personally
and in general. Have you thought about that paradox?   The pen is mightier
than the sword and always will be. Writing and speaking are the most elegant, effective, long-term and powerful ways to fight for anything you believe in except for the most powerful of all: How you live.

Amen to that--it's my life's work!

Kingskid
Two lessons I've learned in life:
1.  Never check the oil when your generator is running.
2.  Never, ever work on your garage door spring!