Author Topic: States with the highest and lowest Taxes  (Read 3568 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
States with the highest and lowest Taxes
« on: November 02, 2012, 01:32:05 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/states-with-the-highest--and-lowest--taxes.html

During the 2010 tax season, Americans paid 9.9% of their income on state and local taxes. This number, according to a report released today by The Tax Foundation, is up from 9.3% in 2000, but is basically unchanged from 2009. Per capita income in the U.S. fell from $42,539 in 2009 to $41,146 in 2010, while taxes fell slightly, from $4,160 in 2009 to $4,112 in 2010.

The most important factor in how much a state demands of its residents is its ability to bring in income from out-of-state. In 2010, 73.8% of tax revenue to state and local governments came from state residents. In some states, however, much more of total tax revenue came from non-residents. In three — Alaska, North Dakota and Wyoming — more than half of tax revenue came from out of state. In Alaska, which benefits from taxes on energy companies operating in the state, residents are responsible for just 24.5% of all tax income.

All 10 of the the states with the lowest tax burdens received at least 32% of tax revenue from people who didn’t live in the state. In six states, it was more than 43%. Included on this list are those with large oil infrastructure, like Wyoming, Louisiana, Texas and Alaska. Nevada is heavily reliant on tourism, rather than oil, and 44% of its tax revenue comes from out of state.
------
Much more at link above.
Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
Re: States with the highest and lowest Taxes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
In some states, however, much more of total tax revenue came from non-residents. In three — Alaska, North Dakota and Wyoming — more than half of tax revenue came from out of state.

As old Sen Everett Dirksen used to say, "Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that fella behind the tree." Having low taxes by taxing people out of state is nothing to be admired. Also, the practice just encourages retaliation...
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline FritzAusterlitz

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
In Alaska, which benefits from taxes on energy companies operating in the state, residents are responsible for just 24.5% of all tax income.

In Alaska, government writes YOU a check every year.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
In Alaska, government writes YOU a check every year.

This makes me think of the debates about the Canadian health care system. Canada has tremendous resources and a modest population. Maybe this has something to do with their government having money to pay for these things?
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"