Author Topic: Methods to Make the Move to Wyoming When it Seems Impossible  (Read 12828 times)

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Methods to Make the Move to Wyoming When it Seems Impossible
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
People tend to be enslaved by their possessions...

That is so true. I was practically in tears because I had to leave so much behind that would not fit on the rental truck. I'll admit I was a pack rat, however. In past moves over the state line, or across town, there was always that attitude that, "oh I'll get it on the next trip with the van, or I'll store it mom's basement." Moving cross country made me really learn what was absolutely necessary. Every picture and book made the cut, however. Quite a few bicycles were sacrificed for the books. That was just my priority. I can honestly say that besides a few Christmas decorations (sentimental value) that were left by accident, I don't miss a single thing that was left behind.
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner

Offline 300dragonflies

• FSW Associate
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
I have moved *so much* and lost *so much* (in particular in the years 1996-2000) that it is both harder and easier to get rid of stuff. Harder to get rid of the few things left that still actually have sentimental value, and easier to get rid of the things accumulated since then that do not.

** veteran of a number of cross-country moves (as an adult...almost too many to count in my growing-up years! **

Offline montygarlic

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Once upon a time....
    • Garlic Head
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
We learned from folks who had moved frequently that, "Three moves equals a fire."  On face value, that phrase is good for a laugh.  But it is also nearly entirely accurate.  With all the loss, breakage, damage to possessions that results from a move, your personal belongings such as furniture, lamps, appliances, etc. are possibly safer in a fire than a series of moves.  If not safer, maybe better off?

But it is also true that our possessions tend to own us as opposed to the other way 'round.    I couldn't say exactly when this FACT finally landed in my brain, but it was sometime after watching an endless number of 'storage unit' facilities being built (and filled) in order that folks could hang onto stuff they didn't even remember owning.  And paying lots of rent to do it.   Kind of like another 'self-taxation'.  Are we ALL nuts?  (Shaking his head and muttering to self, "Yup")

So when you think about it, moving repeatedly may just help us to finally get (at least a little bit) free of the tyranny of being owned by stuff.

Just one man's thoughts on a Tuesday in Montana.

mg  ;D
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »
I've made 40 lifetime moves. As a "Marine brat" we moved constantly. We were allowed to keep just a few toys and books, whatever would fit in a special box, with our few extra clothes in another box. We were wearing the shoes...  Everything else was given away. I lived like that until I bought a house in the desert in 1990. Over the next 17 years I managed to accumulate quite a few things, but when it came time to move here, I brought just what would fit in a 15 foot truck. Gave away or sold everything else.

The only problem was that I brought things I wound up not needing, and got rid of several things I would love to have now. You really can't ever know for sure.

Right now I need to go through and weed my stuff seriously, just because. I have a hard time throwing away something I think I might use or that someone else might use. But I could pack a bag and leave here without a glance back if I really needed to.

Just HAVING stuff doesn't necessarily mean it has to "own you." I don't see any particular virtue in deliberately not having anything. Many times people have come to me in serious need, and we were all grateful that I had stuff... something to share. Allowing things to "own you" is just another choice - and really has little or nothing to do with the "stuff" itself.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
it was sometime after watching an endless number of 'storage unit' facilities being built (and filled) in order that folks could hang onto stuff they didn't even remember owning.

If you want an eye-opener, watch that show "Storage Wars" for a few episodes. It's storage unit operators auctioning off the contents of the units. I bet auctions happen a lot as people forget to pay the storage companies. Pretty silly how much junk we keep around us.

I tend to look at a move as an positive thing. You look at the cost of moving a particular piece of furniture, say, and realize it makes no economic sense to haul it along. You'd be better off selling in a garage sale and buying another one (if you need it at all) at the other end of the move. Great way to force the issue and dump your extraneous junk.

On the other hand, some stuff is actually more valuable if you move it. I have a nephew who used to live in Klamath Falls, in southern Oregon. He would find some way to get back up to the Portland area, buy some small Toyota pickup for cheap, and drive it back down there to sell it at a very nice profit.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
I paid around $300/yr for 10 years to store $500 of old furniture. Then I did the math. Duh!!!
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline wybhroots

• Casual Observer
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »
So relieved when we bought our first house 2 years ago. ~ Yea! no more paying for storage units and using my Dad's basement.  But since then a lot of decisions on what to actually keep is getting hard to do. 

Funny part is MOST of this STUFF isn't mine nor my husbands!  It's a combination of items passed down from grandparents and our parents.  Even a few items from our siblings and friends. It's really difficult because a majority of things were my mother's (who is gone) and it takes a lot of time to sort through everything (I'm the one in family who keeps the old things, photos, genealogy, etc).

These postings right though; stuff doesn't define us and if we had to get out of here in 20 seconds, I'm ready!

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”-Mark Twain

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
"Three moves equals a fire."

That's awesome!

This happened to be our 3rd move in 12 months. Our last too.
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner