Author Topic: Big Lonely Saddlery  (Read 19891 times)

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Big Lonely Saddlery
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
Hey all,

I have been very lax in getting this posted. I have been in Guernsey, Wy since September of last year. In March of this year I opened the doors on Big Lonely Saddlery in downtown Guernsey. I am building custom leather products. Right now my biggest sellers are my holsters. I will be at the Jam tomorrow and Saturday off and on and running back to the shop when I am not at the Jam to take care of some local customers. Hope to meet some of you that I have not met yet. I hope everyone in Guernsey takes the time to come by and check out the shop. FSWers will get a 10% discount on orders this weekend.

Thanks,
longrifle

PS,
welcome to my little corner of Wyoming, I love it here.

Offline b_well

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
Re: Big Lonely Saddlery
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
We're looking forward to our package! It was a pleasure to meet you. Your work is top notch; you're a true craftsman.

Bill

edited dang typo...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:19:53 PM by bhowell »
"If the jury have no right to judge of the justice of a law of the government, they plainly can do nothing to protect the people against the oppressions of the government; for there are no oppressions which the government may not authorize by law."
Lysander Spooner

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »
This was a smoking deal. Thanks Wes! Can't wait to get mine.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:22:31 AM »
I hope everyone in Guernsey takes the time to come by and check out the shop. FSWers will get a 10% discount on orders this weekend.

Dang... didn't hear about this until now. I would love to have visited the shop. Maybe next time. I need a better gun belt.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
Bill, thank you. It was a real pleasure meeting you and your wife at the Jam.

Sam,
 Hope that belt gives you 25+ years of service. See you next week.

Mama,
It was great seeing you again this weekend. Next time you get down this way I'll expect to see you come on in the shop. ;D

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
Everyone,

Big Lonely Saddlery will be offering the Jam Special again this year. 10% off all in stock items and custom orders placed during the Jam. If you can, make some time to stop by the shop in downtown Guernsey this year.

Thanks,

Wes

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your shop very much. :) Still have not found that other holster. sigh

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
I'll probably treat myself to a new gun belt.

Great to have Wes in Guernesy!

Boston

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
I'll probably treat myself to a new gun belt.

You most certainly won't be sorry. I just wish I'd had the opportunity to buy one of his belts much earlier. I could open a "used men's work belt" shop today and have plenty of stock. LOL

Anybody have any idea what ELSE these belts might be good for? I hate to throw otherwise good stuff away. :)

Offline colonial shooter

• FSW Rifleman
  • RWVA Senior Instructor, NRA Life, 4H instructor
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »

Anybody have any idea what ELSE these belts might be good for? I hate to throw otherwise good stuff away. :)

razor straps <sp> for those straight razors  ;D
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
Ok, update time!!

Big Lonely Saddlery has moved to a new location in Guernsey. We bought a historic building downtown and have moved into it. We are having our Grand Opening on October 4th. We will have door prizes and a raffle for several Big Lonely Products on that day. If you ever stepped into the old shop you realized how cramped it was. Now we have an open, airy old time general store focusing on leather products. If yo can make it come on by and say hello. It is causing quite a stir in the Platte County/ Goshen County area. Without the support of my FSW friends over the years it would never have come to pass. Even if you cannot make it, I want to thank everyone here for the encouragement to pursue my dreams in Wyoming. I am seeing the fruition of them now. Thank You!

longrifle

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »
LR, How are you at making saddles?
Where do you buy your trees?
What is your favorite type of saddle to build? 
Do you prefer to build the more functional type, or can you do functional as well as pretty?
What about custom work?
Do you have the connections to buy custom silver work, such as conchos and buckles?
Some leather guys will have a preference between tack and chaps or saddles, what's yours?
What do you think you are best at?
What is your base price on building using type saddles?
Are you pretty good at tooling?
Do you do any trading and bartering for your work?
Do you have any pictures showing some of your work?
What kind of wait time do you have for saddles and such?

Yes, it is a lot of questions, but I am asking for a reason.
I hope I don't forget, because I would really like to go down and see your shop and meet you. I used to have a friend of mine do all of my leather work, but his life and work has taken a turn for the better for he and his family and now he is very limited on the time needed to do his leather work. I would really like to find someone else who can do all that I need/want done.

Tex

My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:40:32 PM »
longrifle, very fine news, and hearty congratulations!
I know and like your leather work, and am pleased to see you make a great go of things.

See you on 10/4, as I make a HAHO parachute jump from 23,000' and land on your new rooftop!
 ;D

Boston

Offline Mark Davis

• FSW Associate
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
Sounds like an excellent upgrade. When  I visited the shop during the FSW jam the space was very tight.
Does your new shop have living quarters upstairs like the "good" ole days?
to lazy to chase arrows

Offline longrifle

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 07:05:51 AM »
Mark,

There will be living quarters in the full basement.

Boston,

If you HAHO'd onto my roof that would be the talk of this town for years to come. Hope to see you. I'll put an X on the roof for you. ;D

Tex,

I have two saddles going in the shop right now with two more trees waiting in the wings. I build good using saddles, functional and as artistic as a customer wants. My base price on a saddle is $2250. I make alot of different things here in the shop, from saddles, chaps, tack, to knife sheaths, holsters, welding cuffs, belts, rifle slings, etc..  I enjoy building custom saddles the best, but my holsters, knife sheaths, and repairs to everything are what keeps the doors open right now. I get my trees from Precision Saddle trees. They are a wood tree, covered in Kevlar. Stronger than rawhide wrapped trees, lighter, and have a lifetime guarantee. I can get Timberline trees for those that just have to have a rawhide tree. Wait time depends on the tree that is ordered, but a rough ballpark is about 3-4 months for a custom saddle. That is slowly creeping up as the amount of saddled ordered grows. Most saddlemakers I know, you would be talking number of years instead of months. My clientele is not to that point yet.  I do enjoy tooling, and I get better everyday. I have had many complements on my tooling. The Sheridan style is still a little tough for me but it is looking better all the time. I hope I answered all your question. Feel free to give me a call and we can talk more.

All,

Hope to see some smiling faces on Oct. 4 in JAM town.

longrifle