Author Topic: Looking to relocate from NJ  (Read 7803 times)

Offline AxmanNJ

Looking to relocate from NJ
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I'm really tired of the police state that is New Jersey. I've lived here all my life as well as owning and operating a small business in the state. I'm at a point where I want to find a place to live and work with like minded people. I've looked into the FSP in NH, but I feel like WY, CO or somewhere out west would be a better fit for me. The northeast is not the place to be when the **it hits the fan. What areas of WY would you recommend?

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
Re: Looking to relocate from NJ
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
Hi Ax, welcome to the board. I agree with you that the NE may not be a good place to be if things go south. You are not alone in thinking the west may be a good place to put down roots, but it is hard to give a recommendation of any particular spot without knowing more about you. There are so many differences between places and what they have to offer, it would be to your advantage to let us know more about you so that we can help point you in the right direction.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline AxmanNJ

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »
Hey Tex, I'm 44 with a degree in chemical engineering and not afraid to work. I've held several different jobs from construction, to research assistant, to small business owner & CFO. Growing up at the jersey shore I've always been an outdoors person, not into the city life at all. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Ax

Offline marciab

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
With a degree in chemical engineering, Wyoming and Colorado certainly should have something to interest you.  Do a search on Wyoming At Work, Oilfield jobs, etc. Right now, Colorado's political scene is questionable, but that could change.

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
Man, I feel bad. If Marcia hadn't responded to this thread, I would not have seen it. When I logon, I hit the unread posts, but if I don't go through them all at one time, they get lost.

Axman, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Marcia is right, the oilfieldis the place to look. There are quite a few big oil companies working in this area and on down the eastern side of the state. If you need some names, let me know.

Tex

=2

Offline AxmanNJ

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
I thought you guys forgot about me  :P lol

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »
Axman, I did. I apologize.

With your background though, you would have little trouble landing work in the booming directional drilling that is going on.

Tex

=2

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
Axman,
With a degree in chemical engineering, you may want to explore "mud engineer".  The title is a bit deceiving as no engineering degree is required.  I have been doing it for a decade and can give you the good, the bad and the ugly.  Normal progression is from field work to office work as a Technical adviser to the next generation of rookies or start consulting on your own.  I have done all of the above and could not tolerate office duty or the mega-corp mentality.

pW

Offline AxmanNJ

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
PW
I definitely wouldn't mind field engineer work. I'm not sure if I could handle the mega-corp mentality though.

Ax

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Unfortunately Axman, out here if you find a good engineering job, chances are it is with one of the bigger companies. There are quite a few smaller engineering firms, but alot of their work follows the boom and bust cycle of the energy sector.

Tex

=2

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:58 PM »
PW
I definitely wouldn't mind field engineer work. I'm not sure if I could handle the mega-corp mentality though.

Ax

I don't know anything about the oil employment market but it seems most anyone could put up with a job they are trained to do (with a mega-corp) long enough to get their feet on the ground, get the lay of the land and start looking for the job they want. IMHO
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline pedro wyomiing

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
Tolerating mega corp mentality is a right of passage to build credibility and contacts in the industry.  Once you know enough people, you can go it on your own.  Smaller companies do not have as much bullshit, but are harder to get in.  Normally it takes 20 years working as a mud engineer to do this.  I did it in seven.  No, i am not a miracle in mud.  I was just at the right place at the right time and my new handler was disappointed with the my competition.
However, i will never be able to put lucky on a resume. LOL

pW