Author Topic: Welding equipment  (Read 12324 times)

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Welding equipment
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
I just inherited a lot of my father's welding equipment and supplies. Unfortunately, I did not get any oxygen and acetylene bottles. I don't plan to do any gas welding, and have decided on propane for my fuel gas. So that just leaves oxygen.

Does anyone have an oxygen cylinder to sell or trade?
I could also use some welding cable.

I have "a lifetime supply" of TIG rods in 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8 inch that I could trade or sell. They are 2% thoriated "new old stock".
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
Re: Welding equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
You may be just as well off to hit one of the welding supply houses and do a lifetime lease on an oxygen bottle. If you do decide to buy one, make sure that is has been inspected. Sometimes people will sell one that has a lapsed inspection and you will lose out the first time you try to get it refilled. Do you know what size you are wanting/needing?

If you plan on using propane or mapp gas, you will need a torch with a propane/mapp gas mixing chamber and also the two piece cutting tips. I have had to use alot of propane and mapp gas while working in the shipyards and I never cared for it very much. It is hard to get as good a cut and heats up the surrounding metal way too much. That is just my opinion as a welder though.

What size welding lead do you need and how much? I have some laying around I could maybe let go of. How far will you be working away from your welding machine? What kind of welding other than tig will you be doing? What kind of machine do you have? do you need any tig equipment?

I'm asking all of the questions to figure out how to better help you get what you need. I have some of the stuff laying around, but I don't really want to get rid of any oxygen bottles. Check around on the leads and se what the prices are. They have really gone up in the last few years. If you just needed something for inside of a garage though, I think I have some stingers built up. I'm open to trades too.

Tex
My Wyoming has an east infection.

=2

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »
You may be just as well off to hit one of the welding supply houses and do a lifetime lease on an oxygen bottle. If you do decide to buy one, make sure that is has been inspected. Sometimes people will sell one that has a lapsed inspection and you will lose out the first time you try to get it refilled. Do you know what size you are wanting/needing?
I don't expect to really use much, but I would go with a large bottle just to go longer between refills. I am thinking of 250 to 330 cu ft.

If you plan on using propane or mapp gas, you will need a torch with a propane/mapp gas mixing chamber and also the two piece cutting tips.
I just ordered 0, 00, and 000 for my Victor CA1350 cutting attachment.

What size welding lead do you need and how much? I have some laying around I could maybe let go of. How far will you be working away from your welding machine?
I plan to put the welding machine right at the corner of my garage beside the garage door. I have some stingers with 10 foot leads, but that seems pretty tight. And I don't have a ground lead yet. What's a good size, maybe 1/0?

What kind of welding other than tig will you be doing? What kind of machine do you have? do you need any tig equipment?
I have a Miller Dialarc, and two wire feeders (Lincoln SP250 & SP100). I should have all the TIG gear to last a lifetime, except for the ceramic piece that goes around the electrode. I have only a few of those. Since I have a lot of stick rod (maybe 300 pounds?) I might as well use that too. From what I read, the Miller is pretty nice for stick welding too.

Check around on the leads and se what the prices are. They have really gone up in the last few years.
I am sure I would be horrified to see the current prices. I am wondering if it would work to make extensions out of ordinary (not so flexible) wire and use real welding cable for the last 10 feet.

Just to fill in the rest of the story, I have no welding experience at all. But in the last few years, I have sometimes wished I could do this or that, and when my father passed I inherited nearly all of his gear. Now I just have to get it all working.

Thanks!
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
If you are just needing enough lead for garage projects, I have enough extra to hook you up. You definitely want too use welding lead, rather than trying to rig something up to make do. Depending on the size of your tig rig, I have a few extra cups I can let go of.

We have a mutual friend in Upton that I go and see occasionally. If you are interested in doing a little trading, I can take it over there or I can take it down to the Jam if I am able to make it. I sure wouldn't get in a big hurry to buy any lead as it has got spendy. Let me know how much you think you need and I can get it to you somehow.

Im not sure what kind of welding rod you have, but it can and will draw moisture and it will go bad. Some rod types are meant for specific purposes while others are more user friendly for the hobbiest. I have a little extra around if you need some.

I prefer Lincoln Welders and welding equipment, but that is strictly my preference. Miller Welders are good too and some say they are the best. Either one will do what you need.

If you are interested in doing some swapping for the lead and whatever else you may need, just let me know. I'm betting I have extra of whatever you need. I would keep an eye on Craigslist for the oxygen bottle. Most of the time they are sold in sets with acetylene, but I do see the singles from time to time.

Tex

=2

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »
Im not sure what kind of welding rod you have, but it can and will draw moisture and it will go bad.
Yep, I know there are two unopened full size cans (50# ea) and one or two smaller cans, so I know I have something. For the rest, I may just bake it in the oven (250F for a few hours if I remember right). Some is 6013, some is 7018, and a lot of the rest is marked low hydrogen. I still haven't taken inventory.

If you are interested in doing some swapping for the lead and whatever else you may need, just let me know. I'm betting I have extra of whatever you need.
Sounds great. And as you suggest, I have been watching Craigslist. I would be happy to have acetylene, but I would rather not pay $$$ for the bottle and then pay $65 per hundred cu ft to refill, when propane is so cheap.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
Wire feeders
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:23:47 PM »
I also have two wire feeder attachments for sale or trade.

One is a Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder. It has a twist connector for the welding cable and the MIG torch and cable. It looks like it is well used, but not abused.

The other is a Miller "Port-a-Mig". It looks like it has never been used. It has a cable to connect to the welding machine. The gas input is a barbed connector. There is no MIG torch and cable with it, but I might have something that fits in one of my piles.

Both units need a welding machine for the welding current and control; they are accessories.

UPDATED: I think I will hang on to the Miller Portamig for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:33:53 PM by rhodges »

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I am very interested in the LN 25. Would it be possible to get some pictures? I think I sent you my email address last week, but if I didn't, I can. Maybe we can get together soon to do some swapping.

Tex

=2

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 07:28:26 PM »
I am very interested in the LN 25. Would it be possible to get some pictures?
Here 'ya go...
http://www.hodges.org/ln25
Click on an image to see the high-res version.

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
Looks good. I am running all over right now during calving season and we are trying to get ready for the branding, but let me know when you would like to get together and hopefully we can meet up to do some swapping.

Tex

=2

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
I have been doing a bunch of spring cleaning around here and I found a Harris brand torch and mixing barrel meant for propane or MAPP gas. rhodges, if this is something you may be interested in let me know. I found all sorts of welding stuff that I'd forgot I had.

Don't tell the Hostile Native or she will make me have a garage sale.

What else are you needing/wanting?

Tex

=2

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:31 PM »
I have been doing a bunch of spring cleaning around here and I found a Harris brand torch and mixing barrel meant for propane or MAPP gas. rhodges,
Thanks, but I got propane tips for my Victor. I'm still looking for an oxygen bottle.

What else are you needing/wanting?
I will be wanting about 60 feet of #2 (2+neutral) for my welding sub-panel, and breakers. I will probably end up buying that at Menards if nobody has some for sale or trade.  I didn't get any leathers, so I will eventually want that too. Maybe scrap steel to build things with.

Maybe part of the trade could be in beef? :)

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:59:29 PM »
I have some extra leathers. You may or may not want them. Depending on the position you are welding in, they may not be needed. I also have some steel around. Not much, but I will be getting some more in pretty soon.

The victor torch is good, but you will get a better gas mix with a torch made for propane. instead of two tubes coming out of the mixing chamber, there are three. Your choice on that though. They use MAPP gas or propane in the shipyards and working on boats as it is a CoastGuard regulation. I gave that up a long time ago.

I have quite a bit of the 1/0 welding lead but I don't think I have any of the 2/0. That is really heavy and even welding on some heavy steel, I have never had a need for anything that stout.

Trading for a bit of beef is definitely an option too. We also have eggs, rabbit meat and chicken too. I am all for making some trades when possible.

Tex

=2

Offline Kelly

• FSW Member, in Wyoming
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
Tex has shared his ranch raised rabbit, chicken, eggs and beef with me.  I haven't had a chance to sample the beef yet, but the other items are outstanding.  The fresh chicken was exceptionally good; even the carcass made the best chicken broth I've ever had.

Don't miss it, rhodges!
The guy banging on the door said,"Alcohol, tobacco, firearms." I thought he was bringing more supplies.

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Very cool thread; I love to see this kind of FSWer networking!

I don't know how to weld, but would trade out some shooting instruction to learn.

Boston

Offline BAR BAR 2

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • Horse Trader
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »
Can do. Let me know when you are ready.

Tex

=2