Author Topic: food co-op  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
food co-op
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »
I just heard about a food co-op that has a bunch cities it serves in Wyoming as well as quite a few other states. I thought some here might be interested in it. It's at bountifulbaskets.org
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: food co-op
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:23:48 PM »
I have been doing that for some time now. For a family, it is a good way to keep fruits and vegetables coming in. There is usually no choice about the contents of the basket. (The exception is when there are extra items and those are added randomly to the baskets.)
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
I helped Linda set up the "bountiful baskets" here several years ago. It seemed like a very good thing in the beginning, but the baskets soon became full of fancy stuff I would never have purchased, or common things I could get at a better price in town. With no flexibility, I soon came to the conclusion that it was not a good deal for me and dropped out.

All of the produce is, of course, the same commercial stuff you find in any grocery store, and often is overmature or damaged. It is not really all that fresh when you get it either way, but at least you can choose what you really want at the store. I'm sure it works out fine for a lot of people, just consider well what you are expecting.
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline V2Dream

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 05:32:53 PM »
Bountiful Baskets is a great deal when you consider that it is an all volunteer ran co-op.  I ran the one here in Newcastle for a few years before it was so overwhelmingly popular as to need to have a second week added to the route.  After a while the popularity has dwindled but it is still popular here and in my mind still one of the best deals in town as far as produce goes.  Yes there are times when we as volunteers might miss something in filling the baskets that is not pristine but over all the basket is full of good stuff. Then there is always lots of added things you can choose as well.
My suggestion is try it for a few times and test it out and see for yourself and don't
just take someone else's opinion.
To stop dreaming is to stop living.
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »
It always depends what your goal is.

If your goal is to buy local and keep money in the community things like this are usually good.
If your goal is to save money these are usually not for you.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »
Nothing in the baskets is "local."

It's a great idea for a lot of people, just has some serious limitations.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
This summer, Hulett is having a "community market" every Tuesday for locals to sell their produce and homemade things. I will be there selling soap. I think there will be a lot of veggies for sale when they are ready.

If I heard right, I think there are also markets in Newcastle, Upton, and Belle Fourche.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »
If I heard right, I think there are also markets in Newcastle, Upton, and Belle Fourche.

Far as I know, the only "farmer's market" ever in Newcastle did not have any "local" produce, just the usual trucked in - at far more than grocery store prices. Never heard of one in Upton. The farmer's market in Belle Fourche is supposed to be terrific, but it's much too far for most of us to drive to get a few fruits and vegetables. Maybe we could carpool?  I'll look for a website there and see if they actually have any local produce.

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
Nothing in the baskets is "local."

It's a great idea for a lot of people, just has some serious limitations.

If some or all of the products are produced "local" (where I live local is under 200 miles) then it keeps money in the local economy.

If it's flown in from Costa Rica and just marked up it's a scam. IMHO
Give them your teeth, not your belly.