Author Topic: Why Firefly was cancelled  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
Why Firefly was cancelled
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:36:55 PM »
In case you are interested:

http://www.looper.com/10800/real-reason-firefly-got-canceled/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_1094231&utm_content=3

I almost have the show memorized by now. Amazing how good it is compared to the usual dreck.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline idahobob

• Social Type
Re: Why Firefly was cancelled
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:41:40 AM »
Yeah, I've got the complete boxed set and "Serenity". It was and still is one of my favorites.

Bob
III
How to overthrow the system: brew your own beer; kick in your Tee Vee; kill your own beef; build your own cabin and piss off the front porch whenever you bloody well feel like it. -- Edward Abbey

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »
I think the name of the article was wrong. The article told how it was canceled, not why.

I saw an interview with Whedon. He said he'd read Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, a civil war book (and quite a good one at that). He thought about the losing side, and what could have happened to individuals on it.

Firefly was centered around a ship full of people exhibiting self reliance and living free in an unfree world. People who would not buckle under to the Alliance. An Alliance that could not be trusted.  In Episode 3 Bushwhacked, Mal admits to being on the losing side of a war, but not the wrong side.  In Episode 4 Shindig, Mal said that there was nothing wrong with moving one mans goods to others "what need them."
Most science fiction tv shows are either brain numbing drivel (Babylon 5) or subtly promoting one world ideals (ever notice the mark on the forehead in Star Gate?).
 Why do I think it was canceled? It sent messages entirely antithetical to the usual message that Hollywood churns out. It sent a message that certain people in positions of power would not want consumed by a sleeping public.

"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
They canceled it before I even knew it existed. I first saw it on DVD so I saw it in order.  :) Why FOX would play them out of order defies any logic.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.