Author Topic: Question O the day  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
Question O the day
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:43:55 PM »
I'll not be moving to Wyoming for a while, so I was looking at acreages near where I work. I found what looks like a nice place that somewhat isolated but there is one big issue. It is right next to (I mean RIGHT NEXT TO ie shared fence line) a large Lutheran Bible Camp. They have something like 40+ cabins. I'm assuming they don't use them in the winter but I guess I really don't know. So the question.

Is it a good idea to be next to a camp like that if TEOTWAWKI comes a calling?
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
Re: Question O the day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
The answer has many complex factors. I think the two main factors are the camp running out of food and the people trying to impose their authority/control over everyone in the area.

I would suggest some thought experiments.
If you were not there, what would they do? Would they move (or get rounded up) to refugee camps? Who else is in the area and what would they do? Would anything change if you did happen to be there?
What people would be in the camp? Children? Families? That might make a difference.

There must be some kind of office there. Maybe you could go there and ask what they do. You are interested in property next to them and would like to find out if your shooting range would bother them, or what times would be best. Ask if there are weather problems you should know about, like severe lightning, hail, flooding, fires, or whatever, and what preps they have to get through those problems.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:51:33 PM »
Yea, I had a number of the same questions going through my head.

Another option is to buy a spread that is a couple miles from the state prison. Clearly that's not a perfect option either.  >:D
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
Another option is to buy a spread that is a couple miles from the state prison.
That would offer a good excuse for your home security preparations.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 09:56:47 AM »
a large Lutheran Bible Camp

There are probably worse neighbors one could have.   ;)

Buy the property, but include in your cost some extra bulk storage of rice and beans in case they need help.

Keep in mind Ferfal's advice about isolated farms. Sometimes neighbors can be good to have around.
Laws turn men into slaves.