Author Topic: Vehicle Registration in Crook County  (Read 4998 times)

Offline manfromnevada

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
Vehicle Registration in Crook County
« on: December 27, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
Just a little tidbit of info re: living in Crook.

I'm not sure about the other counties, but ALL vehicles have their annual registration due on Feb 28th of each year. They find it works better to tackle all of the vehicles at once rather than spread it out. Your first year's registration fee is prorated for the amount of time till the next Feb 28th.

They send out a postcard letting you know the fee. We just got ours. Two month's notice in other words. You can send them a SASE with your payment or go to the Treasurer's office and person and take care of it over the county with the friendly folks there. Last year some irate resident wrote to the Sundance Times complaining of having to wait in line after obviously waiting till the last day.
Hint: They give you TWO month's notice. Wise up!

But the reason I'm posting here is re: the required signature attesting to the fact that you have liability insurance as required by state law. No, they don't have a database interconnected with all the insurance companies. They take your word for it here. You just sign. That's all they require.

But here's the rub: I cancel the insurance on my minivan each late autumn when I park it for the winter behind the garage. 2WD vehicles are useless up here once the first snow comes. Why pay for insurance? In the spring when I finally figure I can use it again, I contact my insurance company and add this vehicle back. But technically, this leaves me in violation if I sign the registration form since I don't actually have insurance at the time (even if I'm not taking it on public roads).

So I called the Treasurer today. The Treasurer, Mary, was very helpful and courteous as always. Turns out that all I have to do is NOT register it by the due date of Feb 28th but rather when I take it out of storage. But wouldn't that create a penalty of some kind? Nope! There is NO penalty for late registration here. Interesting. Simple solution. I'm sure there IS a fine if you're caught driving around with an unregistered vehicle, but that is a different story.

Just an added tidbit of the simple life here in Crook.

Mac
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Crappiewy

• FSW Associate
Re: Vehicle Registration in Crook County
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:58:10 PM »
If you sign it and you get in an accident and are uninsured, They will lock you up for 6 months. Happened to 2 guys I know in Cheyenne.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
It says right on the registration form "6 months in jail or $750 fine, or both" so it shouldn't come as any surprise. That's why I was careful to determine the best way to handle my situation. I didn't want to "swear" to anything that wasn't exactly true even if I wasn't taking the vehicle off my property.

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline soma

• Rather Interested
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
If you sign it and you get in an accident and are uninsured, They will lock you up for 6 months. Happened to 2 guys I know in Cheyenne.

It says right on the registration form "6 months in jail or $750 fine, or both" so it shouldn't come as any surprise. That's why I was careful to determine the best way to handle my situation. I didn't want to "swear" to anything that wasn't exactly true even if I wasn't taking the vehicle off my property.

Despite how pleasant that seems, I have to ask:  shouldn't they "lock up" those at fault?  If I choose to drive uninsured and never sign or register my vehicle with the government, but never once have an at fault accident, but someone hits me in full view of witnesses, would that subject me to that fine?  After all I have no one to make whole but myself, presume I am uninjured or the at fault's insurance covers my medical expenses, and presume my vehicle is old and used and can be replaced for 1000.00 FRN at best market value for its equal.  Would I still get robbed of 750 and get kidnapped to jail for not being insured, or is it solely if I am at fault in an accident?

Is it common for cops to ask for license and registration out there and then look for a reason to hit you up for the quota?  Or is it real reasonable probable cause country, where probable cause means actual evidence or suspicion a real, malum in se crime has been committed?
Amateur praxeologist, or student thereof.  I also build freedom enhancing technology and occasionally barter some of it away.  Feel free to contact me and ask.

Offline manfromnevada

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
@soma:
You are much too logical!

I have no idea as to the actual implementation of the law, but I would GUESS that operating a non-insured vehicle in WY will indeed bring you a sizable fine.

The fine I mentioned is for "making a false certificate". In other words the act of signing the back of the registration form certifying that you have insurance carries that penalty if false. It has nothing to do with having an accident or driving an uninsured vehicle.

Mac
<Edmund Burke>

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
I have twice been pulled over and not had the insurance card in my vehicle (despite it being insured), once in Oregon and once in Wyoming. I paid a $125 fine in Oregon. The cop let me slide in Wyoming.
Laws turn men into slaves.