Author Topic: What do you do when confronted by a crazy person?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
What do you do when confronted by a crazy person?
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
I'm stupid, so very, very stupid.

Today I went to a sporting event at a government school. Being the good little boy that I am, I left my pistol in my truck (because it is a gun free zone after all). After the game I went out to eat but FAILED to re-arm myself. After I had been there a while a guy sitting in the corner got up and started yelling at the waitress. He accused her of "dismissing" him because she laughed at jokes told to her by another customer (who had already left) and me but had NOT laughed when talking to him. She apologized and told him she didn't mean to upset him. He kept ranting and then said he was going to get a shotgun and blow her f-ing head off. Needless to say, I was very aware that I was unarmed.

He left the restaurant and got into his vehicle, a tan four door, (I'm not a car person) and drove off. I went to my truck & re-armed myself and hung out for 20 minutes. He didn't come back. They didn't call the police (I suspect because only two of the employees spoke English) and closed the restaurant. (It was only 10 minutes until close anyway by then) To say I feel like an idiot would be an understatement. The idea that I have a permit, have a pistol and could have been killed because I left it in the vehicle makes me ill.

I know some of you will say don't ever go anywhere that is a gun free zone, but becoming a hermit is not a good long term plan for me. (And I want to attend my niece's graduation next spring) What's a man to do?
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: What do you do when confronted by a crazy person?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »
What does a damned "permit" have to do with anything? sigh  Gun free zones be damned! Concealed is concealed. Carry anyway, damn it!  "Good little boys" are just so much easier for the bad guys to kill. 
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Everything in life is a trade.

Carrying concealed to a school function...
Leaving a gun hidden in one's vehicle for an event...
Going unarmed when you're used to being armed....
Missing out on events you would like to go to...

All have their pros and their cons. I think it may be a matter of deciding what trade you are willing to make based on the pros and cons of each and how much those matter to you personally.

Sometimes freak things happen and all one's planning is for naught. I heard about a tourist in California. She had always wanted to drive in a convertible in Beverly Hills. She traveled there and rented one so she could live her dream. Then the top of a palm tree broke off, landed on her in the convertible, and killed her. Some things one just can't anticipate.

"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
Some things one just can't anticipate.

Very true. There really are no guarantees in life. We just have to do the best we can with what we have. And avoid crazy people when possible. :)

Offline Boston

• Board Moderator
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:00 AM »
The one time -- and the last time -- I ever purposely left my handgun in the car was when I arrived at the country property of seller of a bolt action .50BMG (private sale!).  We test fired it, and within minutes his long-irate neighbor roared over to complain about the noise.

He had a handgun in his waistband, drew it to briefly wave it in the air exclaiming he "also" had a gun, and then stuck it back in his waistband.  All I could was smoothly move behind my car for cover.  He calmed down sufficiently to leave.  I immediately got my gun and holstered it, but the creepy feeling left by the endocrinology took a couple of hours to pass.

Thanks for posting this, Steve, it's a good reminder to us all.
Don't disarm yourself.  (And next time, notate the license plate and make/model of the car.)

Boston

Offline Cyclonesteve

• FSW Associate
    • Short Lane
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
A little update:

I went back a few days later (yes, I was armed this time) and they updated me on the situation. My poor vision and lack of knowledge of car makes and models didn't matter. They have one of those video systems that record both inside and for the parking lot. They got the plate numbers and called the police. As I understand it he was not arrested but he now has a restraining order on him from eating at that restaurant. (They are local, but have 5 or 6 sites)

If he's totally crazy a restraining order is useless but if he's only a little crazy it might work.
Give them your teeth, not your belly.

Offline MamaLiberty

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
If he's totally crazy a restraining order is useless but if he's only a little crazy it might work.

Yes, but if he does cause further trouble it will be the same as they tell women being stalked by their X or whoever. It would help in court if you or someone else had to use lethal force against him - maybe even if it wasn't on that property. So not totally worthless, though I wouldn't count on it for much.