Discussions Not Related To Free State Wyoming (FSW) > Everything Else

Great Quotes

<< < (2/17) > >>

MamaLiberty:

--- Quote from: rhodges on December 08, 2017, 07:39:59 PM ---Pacifism seems to imply the rejection of violence. But that ignores the difference between aggressive violence and defensive violence. Anyone can condemn aggression. Who condemns defensive acts? How can any normal defensive action be wrong? (Obviously, negligent and stupid acts can be wrong.)

--- End quote ---

I don't think anyone here confuses aggression with the violence needed for self defense. Or the rational response to negligent and stupid acts. Or with pacifism.

The desire to control other people and their property is the root of all aggression - evil, including fraud. Theft is a direct act to control others...

Pacifism is actually extremely rare, and would only be valid if the person never, in any way, defended themselves. They usually are very happy to have the police or whoever commit the violence for them.

Scheherazade:

--- Quote from: rhodges on December 08, 2017, 07:39:59 PM ---Pacifism seems to imply the rejection of violence. But that ignores the difference between aggressive violence and defensive violence. Anyone can condemn aggression. Who condemns defensive acts? How can any normal defensive action be wrong? (Obviously, negligent and stupid acts can be wrong.)

--- End quote ---
Actually there are some Christian groups that hold an extreme pacifism stand. 7th day Adventists hold that stand and one of them became a war hero in WWII. His story is told in Hacksaw Ridge. During that war he never touched a gun, never killed anyone, but he saved more than 70 wounded men and carried them off that cliff top.  The Amish and the Mennonites also hold that pacifism. I actually know some Mennonites who would not defend themselves. It has been a topic of much discussion among some Christians I know. I like how the quote touches on what living in a fallen world can mean. Romans 12:18 says "If it is possible, as much as depends on you,  live peaceably with all men." This verse acknowledges that it is not always possible to do so. Many churches these days are posting armed guards or encouraging members to carry at church. I heard of a church that held (and paid for) a concealed carry class for any member it could get to show up and take the class.

FlyingDevildog:

--- Quote from: rhodges on December 08, 2017, 07:39:59 PM --- Who condemns defensive acts?

--- End quote ---

LEO's, the fed gov, to name a few

Scheherazade:
Here's one on being wary of flattery:
"You can stroke a donkey on its belly and lay any burden on its back" Thomas Brooks (a Puritan writer)

colonial shooter:
 “These are the times that try men’s souls; the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.”  Thomas Paine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version