Author Topic: Great Quotes  (Read 30878 times)

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
Re: Great Quotes
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
This quote from Corrie Ten Boom is religiously based:
"Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?'
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline nurseJT

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 08:02:35 PM »
]To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated. -Trefor Thomas

No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be free to flee and fly high. No government, no legislature, has a right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams.
Rev. Jesse Jackson

Healthy children will not fear life if their elders have integrity enough not to fear death.
Erik H. Erikson

Half of life is luck; the other half is discipline - and that’s the important half, for without discipline you wouldn’t know what to do with luck.
Carl Zuckmeyer

Preconcieved notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.
Merry Browne
A child educated only at school is an uneducated child.
George Santayana

Liberty is the only thing you can't have unless you give it to others.
--William Allen White[/size][/font]
"We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it." - William Faulkner

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:34 AM »
Those are some good ones.
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline nurseJT

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »
A few I will share with the 17 year old granddaughter we have taken in:

The time is always right to do what is right.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Half of life is luck; the other half is discipline - and that’s the important half, for without discipline you wouldn’t know what to do with luck.
Carl Zuckmeyer

The successful person has the habit of doing the things failures don't like to do. They don't like doing them either necessarily. But their disliking is subordinated to the strength of their purpose.
E.M. Gray

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.
Jim Rohn

First we form habits, then they form us. Conquer your bad habits or they will conquer you.
Rob Gilbert

The first and the best victory is to conquer self.
Plato

He who lives without discipline dies without honor.
Icelandic Proverb

Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound. The man who does not shrink from self-crucifixion can never fail to accomplish the object upon which his heart is set. This is true of earthly as of heavenly things. Even the man whose object is to acquire wealth must be prepared to make great personal sacrifices before he can accomplish his object; and how much more so he who would realize a strong and well-poised life.
James Allen

If thou thinkest twice before thou speakest once, thou wilt speak twice the better for it.
William Penn

We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
Mark Twain
"We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it." - William Faulkner

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 06:21:34 AM »
"A vote is like a rifle its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
“The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Сrown. It may be frail – its roof may shake – the wind may blow through it – the storm may enter – the rain may enter – but the King of England cannot enter.” William Pitt

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
I admit it, I am a quote geek.

"The heights by great men reached and kept
Were not attained by sudden flight;
But they, while their companions slept,
Were toiling upward in the night."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:52 PM »
Here are two quotes from The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. I think they are apropos for today's scene in the public sphere. On the first one, we are losing both humor and justice as free speech is being curtailed.

(spoken by Aslan) "For Jokes as well as justice come in with speech", and

(said about Uncle Andrew) "Now the Trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:23:26 PM by Scheherazade »

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 06:11:04 PM »
I am pretty sure I was nine when I bought the Narnia books. I loved them. They were great for kids. I was not so sure about his space trilogy then, but I got it much later.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
I am seeing the Narnia books in a whole new light reading them with my kids. I had forgotten the space trilogy. I didn't get them as a kid, either. I need to re-read those.

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
I had forgotten the space trilogy. I didn't get them as a kid, either. I need to re-read those.
I suggest that you read them with a mental filter of good versus evil.
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
"Man's survival requires that those who think be free of the interference of those who don't" Ayn Rand

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2019, 07:13:30 AM »
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Martin Luther King

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
I like the idea of that quote. But I have no duty to argue with someone who pukes out inaccuracies or lies. If I did have such a duty, this person would have control over me by making claims that I am required to refute. I do not accept this external obligation.

Thanks for the quote, though. It is good to discuss these things.

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
Very true. It can be a case by case decision. Here are two scriptures I thought of with that.

Proverbs 26:4-5 Do not answer a fool according to his folly lest you also be like him. Answer a fool according to his folly lest he be wise in his own eyes.
Matthew 7:6 Do not give what is holy to the dogs; Nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

It seems we have no shortage of fools, dogs, and swine in our society