Author Topic: Great Quotes  (Read 31251 times)

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
Re: Great Quotes
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
Thinking is easy,
Acting is difficult,

and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.

-- of course: Goethe

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
It’s getting crazy out there. The severe bias in almost everything out there is … sorry I can’t think of a word that fits here. I thought these two quotes were apropos.

From I’m no hero by Charlie Plumb A Pow Story as Told to Glen Dewerf  (Independence press 1973)

P 108  “Not once did I see any printed matter-a book, magazine, newspaper, lyrics to songs, written speeches, or billboards- that contained anything but propaganda. I was given the understanding that writers, artists, and journalists were required to take a solemn oath to promote in every work the ‘people’s fight against obdurate aggression and world hegemony.’”

P 110  “I’d had plenty of time-much more than was necessary-to see that his ‘truth’ was nothing more than a fool’s tale. No person with the slightest discernment could possibly miss the fallacies in the propaganda. Yet, it happened all the time. Like this novice, the Vietnamese expressed amazement when I did not agree that their black was white.”
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2020, 10:30:31 AM »
 “If you want to live in places that get burned down by rioters while the police evacuate and the politicians in charge celebrate the pyromaniacs, then you should vote for the Democrats in November.” Dinesh D’Souza
"For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?" Jesus Christ Luke 23:31

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
“You can’t reason a man out of a position he didn’t reason himself into.” Jonathan Swift

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” Martin Luther King, jr.

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one." Charles MacKay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Offline rhodges

• Administrative Staff
    • Richard's tech pages and GPG public key
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” Martin Luther King, jr.
Yes, we have been seeing a lot of that lately.
Get my GPG/PGP public key at: http://www.hodges.org/rh/public_rhodges.asc
If I ever find a dead cat, I will put it in a black box and give it to a physicist friend.  Then when he opens the box, I will shout, "Hey! You killed my cat!"

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2020, 01:10:25 PM »
“Government is more dangerous than fire. Fire can’t declare itself immune to water.” – SurvivalBlog Editor-At-Large Michael Z. Williamson

Offline Erik

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Hold Fast.
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »
Terry Goodkind(A big Ayn Rand Fan who incorporated a lot of her logic into his books) passed away last month as I was reading through his Sword of Truth series. So it seems fitting to leave some quotes here from those books.

“Cut. Once committed to the fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. The lines are a portrayal of the dance. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut with certainty. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into his strength. Flow through the gap in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don’t allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit. It’s the balance of life: death. It is the dance with death.” – Faith of the Fallen.

“Charity, if you have the means, is a personal choice, but charity which is expected or compelled is simply a polite word for slavery.” – Pillars of Creation.

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent.” – Faith of the Fallen.

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.” – Chainfire.

“Wrong doing must be punished. If not, it will proliferate until anarchy wears the robes of tolerance and understanding.” – Blood of the Fold.

“If something is wrong, it matters not if a thousand men are for it; you must still oppose it. If something is just, no amount of popular outcry should stay you from your course.” – Naked Empire.

“Laugh all you want. I know my own worth and don’t need to prove it to someone who doesn’t know theirs.” – Faith of the Fallen.

“Culture carries no privilege to exist. Cultures do not have value simply because they are. Some cultures, the world is better off without.” – Soul of the Fire.

“Enemies,’ the wizard said, ‘are the price of honour.” – Debt of Bones.
Erik. 
"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."
-2 Corinthians, 4:8-9

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
"Lord have mercy on my poor country that is so barbarously oppressed." Andrew Fletcher (1655-1716, advocate for Scotland not being part of England)

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2020, 07:48:12 AM »
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable." H.L. Mencken

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2021, 06:05:32 AM »
"The truth is that the State is a conspiracy designed not only to exploit, but above all to exploit its citizens...Henceforth, I shall never serve any government anywhere." Leo Tolstoy

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »
"When you disarm your subjects, however, you offend them by showing that either from cowardliness or lack of faith, you distrust them; and either conclusion will induce them to hate you." Niccolo Machiavelli

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:42 AM »
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Offline Scheherazade

• FSW Associate
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2021, 07:33:14 AM »
"The welfare of the people...has always been the alibi of tyrants...giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience."  Albert Camus