Author Topic: Hello from Indiana  (Read 5009 times)

Offline armorer59

• Reader
Hello from Indiana
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:11:50 PM »
First off, I'd like to say howdy to all the fine folk here. I have been in search of a community of like minded, individualistic people not willing to compromise their Freedoms. Never considered  such a place already exists! It has been my goal for some time to move Westward. I actually thought I had it done in 2000. But that's a topic best dicussed at another time.

My vocation is Machinist/Tool Maker. My love and avocation is building ,shooting and loading for accurate firearms of all types. I particularly enjoy building tack driving M1A's and M1 Garands, but certainly enjoy many other disciplines as well. It is my goal and intent to eventually get moved and hang a shingle as Gunsmith. I've looked at Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Each has their own unique offerings, but I would have to admit that Wyoming holds a special place.

It is my desire to come to know as many of you as possible so that we may come to call one another, friend. I don't use that word lightly either. I feel that true friendship is somewhat like a good marriage. The initial connection may be there, but it takes time to fully develope into a true understanding of one another. Ok, I've waxed philosophical enough. Hope to jaw with lots of you in the future!
May he that hath no stomach for the fight, depart!

Offline Fran

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
    • Freshwaterorganics
Re: Hello from Indiana
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 07:50:04 PM »
Welcome. Great post. Looking forward to meeting you. I agree with your assessement of and importance of the word "friend". I was brought up to believe that if a man had 2 true friends, he was a rich man. If that be true, I am rich indeed.
With earthbags, we can build dirt cheap homes that last forever
one bag at a time. Although Wyoming isn't just for dirtbags...

Offline armorer59

• Reader
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 02:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Fran. I do indeed look forward to meeting you and others here as well. My plans are to relocate in late 2008 or early 2009. My son has 2 more years of High School. He's in a really unique curriculum or I would consider making the move sooner. I want to try to get out there this summer early and look for some property. Hopefully I  get the ground bought before prices really get out of my reach. I'd like to find a larger tract that could be split with some folks or maybe something bordering public land. 

Hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 11:15:30 PM »
Hi guy,
Hunter here. Would a 40X60 building (or part thereof) with storefront. 6" reinforced concrete floor, paved state hwy frontage & off road parking interest ya?   ;)

I also know of an established Gunsmith/sporting goods turnkey business for sale here.
Hunter

Offline archy

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
    • FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 01:21:26 PM »
My vocation is Machinist/Tool Maker. My love and avocation is building ,shooting and loading for accurate firearms of all types. I particularly enjoy building tack driving M1A's and M1 Garands, but certainly enjoy many other disciplines as well. It is my goal and intent to eventually get moved and hang a shingle as Gunsmith. I've looked at Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Each has their own unique offerings, but I would have to admit that Wyoming holds a special place.

You might find the following post and response thread [particularly those on page 2] to be of interest.

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=1845.0

FYI, I'm a former armorer and shootin' iron blacksmith from the Warehouse B small arms shop at NSWC Crane turned newspaperman around Bicknell and Knox County. And I reckon I can send a little Garand/'14 rebarrelling/headspacing business your way if you relocate to Wyoming or thereabouts.

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.

Offline armorer59

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 07:16:09 PM »
Hi guy,
Hunter here. Would a 40X60 building (or part thereof) with storefront. 6" reinforced concrete floor, paved state hwy frontage & off road parking interest ya?? ?;)

I also know of an established Gunsmith/sporting goods turnkey business for sale here.
Hunter

Hunter, that sounds perfect. Just about 2 years too soon for me though. If things go as planned, I want to move there in mid 09. My son is in a unique program in High School. Kind of hard to get into, so I would hate to pull him out now. He graduates in 09. I truely appreciate the info. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the contact info about the business though. Might forward that along to me. Thanks again!

Offline armorer59

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23:54 PM »

You might find the following post and response thread [particularly those on page 2] to be of interest.

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=1845.0

FYI, I'm a former armorer and shootin' iron blacksmith from the Warehouse B small arms shop at NSWC Crane turned newspaperman around Bicknell and Knox County. And I reckon I can send a little Garand/'14 rebarrelling/headspacing business your way if you relocate to Wyoming or thereabouts.

Howdy Archy. I know a few people that have worked at Crane in the past. Odds are you may know them too. All were civi employees. I think only one still works there.
I've heard some sad tales of huge quantities of M1 and M2 Carbines being destroyed at Crane. I bought about 12 brand new 1919 barrels that were scrapped at Crane and turned them into really nice Mauser barrels. Would love to talk M1 Garands and M1A's with ya sometime. I'm tentatively planning on heading out to the Jam in May. My son and I want to shoot in the Appleseed match.