Author Topic: Wyotour with Wyomiles Part one  (Read 13312 times)

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
Re: Wyotour with Wyomiles Part one
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »
Personally, I'm a bit mystified at Bob's touchiness. Really, all that's been said is that Teton Co is really, really expensive (manifestly true) and the old Wyoming joke about billionaires driving the millionaires out, which amounts to saying the same thing. I mean, back in Oregon we always called Portland the "People's Republic" (which is saying something a lot worse) and I never heard any Portlander complain about it. Every community has some warts, you just have to learn to live with them, or if they are too irritating to you, move elsewhere. It makes little sense to get riled when others point out the warts. I'm sure there are lots of decent people in Teton County too. Nobody is saying only jerks live there! Geez, Miles said it was a beautiful place, doesn't that count for anything?

Bob, if Gillette has a meth problem, document it and post it here. People need to know this stuff. Better to learn it here and know in advance and be prepared.

We have to be somewhat careful about anecdotal experiences. If we come into some town and have a bad experience on one day with one person, that certainly does not indict the whole town. Of course, if one has lived there and had many bad experiences that do not occur in other towns, that is something else again.

Bob, if the two or three criticisms of Jackson you've run into here are just too much for you to bear, the remedy is clear. You can't expect people to police their expressions so harshly that never an ill word is said about anybody or any place. We aren't saints, never claimed to be.

After being ostracized for my moderate political persuasion
(I'm not an anarchist like many here, particularly the loudest), I decided that posting on the
FSW forums is a waste of time.

So Don, wasn't that just a post you made?  ::)

Thanks for your travelog, Miles, hope we haven't ruined it. If you want we can hack this diversion out and make it its own thread. Hmmm, what should we call it? "Another Teton County brouhahaa"?   :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
Miles,

Great Travelogue.? When I get time, if I get time and the inclination, I can add some great stuff.....? Such as check out my little web site on this myterious little cabin in the Big Horns...... Just a little East of the sleepy little town (no offense meant :D) of Ten Sleep, which I love, and 20 miles North off the hard road of Hwy 16, which leads to a neat grassy meadow called Battle Park, on foot or horse back another few miles of fabulous trail with 'purple mountains majesty' for a back drop brings you to this little gem in the mountains.? Read all about it at: Little Cabin in the Big Horns

Regards, Danl ~W~
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »

(links have been fixed )
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:07:31 PM by wyomiles »
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »
Bump for all of the new folks.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Future/Now

• Social Type
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »
Sounds like one helluva trip, Miles. Sorta reminds me of a 2-week drive my Dad and I took through Montana back in the early '90's. After detraining at Havre, our itinerary was:

Box Elder - Big Sandy - Ft. Benton - Great Falls - Lewiston - Judith Gap - Harlowton - Ringling - Sixteen Mile Canyon - Bozeman - Lombard - Three Forks - Pipestone Pass - Butte - Deer Lodge - Missoula - Bitterroots - Avery, ID (or what was left of it) - Spokane, then back on the train to Seattle and beyond.

Simply put, it was sheer heaven. I'll never forget the sun setting against the Crazy Mountains south of Ringling....I had no idea colors like that existed. The whole point of the trip was to experience and photograph the landscapes the old Milwaukee Road had traveled through. I've always been a railroad buff and a photographer, so it was a perfect match. My Pentax K-1000 was screaming for mercy the whole time. ;D

Reading your travelogue brings back too many memories to count. Montana and Wyoming seem to have a lot of general scenery in common. Haven't been out to WY yet, but I'll bring plenty of film when I do. 8)
Hey! Y'all got curb service?

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
Future/now, yep it would be a big trip ! Do bring your camera , I think there are a few things left that haven't been photographed. :D

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
Dunno, you're pretty thorough!   :D

Boston

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 04:05:39 AM »
Great tour Miles, Thank you.

Hey Paul, why the slur against Anarchists?
I thought that statist was the worst name you could call some one.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »
That wasn't me, it was someone else. I'm an anarchist on even-numbered days.  :)
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline socalserf

• FSW Member, Wyoming Bound
  • FSW Rifleman RWVA Instructor
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
Sorry Paul,
I ment PaulWy.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 12:49:23 PM »
Bump again for 2010 . Please, if you see an area I have left out or you want to add something ,feel free.

Offline JeffM

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 01:20:45 PM »
WyoMiles, Thanks for the tour and the links.
I bookmarked and broke out the map.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
Your welcome, When you take a trip let me know how it goes!

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
This isn't mine but thought it would be a good place to put it. This link has some great travel info.

http://www.americanguides.org/wyoming/wyguide.htm