Author Topic: By Way of Introduction  (Read 7577 times)

Offline rockchucker

• Rather Interested
  • Nothing exceeds like excess.
    • FreedomSight
By Way of Introduction
« on: February 03, 2006, 09:59:49 PM »
Greetings all. Figured I'd post a little How'd'y'do. No, I'm not a FSW member. But I'm interested. So I'll be mostly lurking here, I expect, until I figure out whether to join up or stay put or do something else entirely.

Politically, I'm pretty much a minarchist. Some time ago, I found another term that fits pretty well, but recent attempts to dig it up again haven't met with any success. But accompanying my minarchism, I also think that the few things that government does should be handled at the lowest level of governance capable of doing them -- though I recognize some issues there, for example difficulties with knowing the law if there are many variances among jurisdictions. Then again, if the laws are few, and aligned with principles of liberty, perhaps there's little to worry about there after all.

As far as moving to Wyoming goes, I'm reminded of an adage regarding looking for a new job. Don't recall the exact wording, but it's along the lines of it's better to be moving to a new job, rather than away from your existing one. But life doesn't always work that way. Down here in Colorado, that boot is starting to feel pretty heavy. And the voters seem to have no problem feeding Leviathan either, The latest outrage is the likely passage of yet another anti-property rights bill, which the legislature is justifying partly because they think that if they don't pass something, it'll wind up on the ballot via initiative anyway, and be approved by the voters. I think they're correct in that assessment. Colorado voters like to do strange things, such as "close the gunshow loophole" via amending the Constitution. (My "No on 22" sign was taken from my yard.)

I'm a computer geek. I despise Microsoft, and use Linux. (Okay, I admit I do admire Microsoft from a capitalist point of view, but that's my limit.) Boston mentioned that some of you folks ride horses. I've sat on a horse a few times in my life -- even while it was moving; once even with me holding the reins, which didn't mean a thing at all to the horse, as far as I could tell. Oh, and it's a Marlin, albeit in .35 Remington, not 30-30.

Regarding using a 'nym: for the moment, I prefer a little bit of anonymity. For example, if a current or potential employer were to do a web search on my meatspace name, I'd just as soon not have them reading some things. "Why should we promote (or hire) him? He's looking for work in Wyoming." That and, with almost 20 years of spending time "online" (yes, I remember 1200 baud), using a nicname or handle has just become a normal way of doing things. Old habits die hard. If/when the time comes, I'll re-register appropriately.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Wyoming.

Best regards to all.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Offline Gerri

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • THE GOLDEN RULE
Re: By Way of Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 10:39:29 PM »
Welcome rockchucker,

I enjoyed reading your message. I am certain many will respond too. My goal is to move to Wyoming this year. What is sad for me is the fact that my family on both sides were so settled in Colorado for about 100 years. My mother grew up there as a tiny child and she is going on 89 this year. She and my father met as teenagers in the Estes Park area (my family were some of the founders) and then married,? 3 of their children were born in CO...one is buried there. I am the 'baby" of the family and was born in Texas. My Grandfathers on both sides of the family helped to build Pikes Peak Road so many years ago. We have the old photos in the family scrapbook.
After leaving Texas, my heart was set on moving to Colorado for the rest of my life. Then I opened my eyes wide and saw how that lovely state was being changed into a totally different place one step at a time. My mother is shocked at the changes of her beloved childhood homestate.

Wyoming will be my next home. I first visited WY on a skiing trip in the early 70s and know that it is where I will enjoy the freedoms that were once in Colorado long ago. If enough like-minded people will move to the open spaces of WY, the impact can be enormous for keeping WY free. Liberals do the opposite all of the time...like Oregon, Colorado, CA, etc.

I know you will enjoy meeting the Group on this Forum. It will continue to grow in numbers. There are great friends to meet in the future. There is a great future waiting  in WY.?

Moving for Freedom and the Future,
Gerri M
P.S.  You don't have to sit on a horse to enjoy WY :)
 ?

Offline rockchucker

• Rather Interested
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 11:15:30 PM »
Liberals do the opposite all of the time...like Oregon, Colorado, CA, etc.

As an original Oregonian, I have a special place in outside my heart for Californians. We used to joke about closing our southern border, or building an I-5 bypass that went around the state entirely. I left Oregon in '83, and from reports I hear, it's getting worse all the time. A pity, as I'd still like to settle down someplace on the coast.

I know you will enjoy meeting the Group on this Forum. It will continue to grow in numbers. There are great friends to meet in the future. There is a great future waiting  in WY.

Moving for Freedom and the Future,
Gerri M
P.S.  You don't have to sit on a horse to enjoy WY :)

I'm looking forward to making folks' acquaintance, though I'll have to self-limit my time here. I admit to being a web junkie, which is not always a good thing. There's at least 2 or 3 folks here who know me, at least virtually, from elsewhere -- I'm suspecting more actually.

Tearing loose from such deep roots is difficult. Mine aren't anywhere near that. Even so, I feel as if I've been here long enough for at least some well-driven tent pegs.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Offline Gerri

• THE GOLDEN RULE
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »
Change is never easy for humans, animals or even plants...but if you make the right choices, you will reap so much from? your courageous actions. Take your time to map out your future in steps and then don't hesitate to "fire" towards your goal.

Fear of the unknown and fear of people's rejection is a big part of freezing all of us in our tracks.
Ask for help and advice from the Group as you need to. These are wonderful people with many of the same challenges you are facing. Some have already come through much of their "life adventure" and some, like myself, are facing some great choices and challenges right now. We only fail if we don't take forward actions.? Hope you can keep it all fun!

May you continue to enjoy your fabulous life set before you,
Gerri M? ?

Offline Max

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »
I'm going to follow rockchucker's lead and introduce myself.

I have the advantage on all you older folks in that I am graduating college this summer, so that if I can find a spot in Wyoming, it will involve far less moving trauma than you people who have been living in the same place for generations. I think that for now I am looking for some kind of marketing job, while my degree is in Entrepreneurship. The long term goal is to be one of those "geo-independent" entrepreneurs that get talked about on these kind of forums from time to time.

I expect to cut some class right before I graduate in order to make it to the Jamboree, and I hope to have a friend or two in tow.

Peace,
Max

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »
Max,

That's awesome, my friend!  Looking forward to meeting you.

Offline rockchucker

• Rather Interested
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 06:35:17 PM »
while my degree is in Entrepreneurship.

Hiya Max, and welcome.

So, I gotta ask. What's involved with a degree in entrepeneurship? I assume it's a variant of a business program.

Offline Max

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:35:44 AM »
The short answer is that my school (correctly) guessed that some students don't want to fit into the traditional boxes of the business school (eg Management, Accounting, etc...) and would be attracted to degrees that are hard to find within the business school. So, they create new degrees; to date, Entrepreneurship, International Business, and Accounting Information Systems.
-----
The catch is, they do not create new classes for these new majors. Instead, they mix and match classes from other majors to achieve the desired mix. For example, I am currently taking Entrepreneurial Finance, which was already a part of the Finance major.

So the school attracts people who want rare degrees, without adding any new classes as such. Pretty slick, eh? And the neat part is that my school's Entrepreneurship program is rated as one of the best of public schools in the nation. And they are very ambitious for getting better rankings in the future.

We are also seeing other new programs offered as part of the general entrepreneurial drive throughout the university. For example, there is a new Engineering and Entrepreneurship Institute that combines engineering and business students in a year long program to work on business projects. I am one of the four business students in the program right now, which is in it's 2nd year of running.

Here is the thing: the best schools for engineering entrepreneurship in the nation do not have programs that compare to this. We had a lecturer from Michigan, which supposedly has a great program, and he was very complimentary of our program. So because this field is so new (to academia), it is (fairly) easy to get acclaim.
-------
So the entrp degree means that you take a wide variety of classes, and if you get into this special program, then you learn to deal with engineers (no easy task!) and all kinds of great things.

It also means you are exclusive. There are about 300 to 400 graduates of the business school this year, I am guessing. And there are about 20 entrp graduates.

But it also makes it not quite so easy to fit into a job slot. For example, I would enjoy a job in accounting, at least for a little bit. But I do not have enough acctg education to fill that position. Ditto for finance. Ditto for management.

Peace,
Max

Offline Terrible Claw

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 10:08:26 PM »
Nice t' meet you, Rockchucker!

What picture is that you've got as an avatar?  I can't make it out; its irritating me because I want to know.  Is it a helm?  I'm an SCA fighter but...what is it?

Thanks for indulging me please,
Davey
"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a Bible-reading people." - Horace Greeley, 1852

Offline rockchucker

• Rather Interested
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:01:27 AM »
Nice t' meet you, Rockchucker!

What picture is that you've got as an avatar?  I can't make it out; its irritating me because I want to know.  Is it a helm?  I'm an SCA fighter but...what is it?

G'day, T'Claw.

I haven't any idea what character that avatar is. I just went through the availables ones, and picked it. I'm assuming it's well-known within some fan base or other. I'm kind of curious myself.

So the entrp degree means that you take a wide variety of classes, and if you get into this special program, then you learn to deal with engineers (no easy task!) and all kinds of great things.

One would hope that the engineers learn to deal with business types as well (no easy task! ;D ).

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 12:09:26 PM »
rockchucker's avatar is the character Nightmare from the video game Soul Calibur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_(Soul_Calibur)
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline rockchucker

• Rather Interested
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
rockchucker's avatar is the character Nightmare from the video game Soul Calibur.
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)

Nasty piece of work there. Thanks for the info, Jared.

(I noticed that SMF appears to have bug in its "auto hyperlink" code, which cut off the closing paren of that url, so I tidied it up a bit.)