Author Topic: Greetings One and All  (Read 8458 times)

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
Greetings One and All
« on: April 01, 2006, 06:40:38 AM »
Hello to the forum,
I'm new here.  I came here by way of the information trail, another forum and a user named Archy's page that linked here, several books I recently came across: Boston T. Party's Gun Bible and then Molon Labe, which I am reading, at page 37 or so.  Actually, it's page 147.
I live in the USA, northern state, lots of woods, streams, and still 24" of snow on the ground and I'm not kidding. Just a twist of fate that I happened to arrive here April 1st.
I'm not entirely comfortable posting much more than I will swing by at times, I'm interested in the Free State of Wyoming, and although I live in what I consider paradise, I've wandered in the past.
My 15 minutes is running out, so I'll click "post" for now and return in the future.
Men for whom God is dead worship one another.  Crews

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: Greetings One and All
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »
Welcome Fred, lots of info here, keep the info trail going for us.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »
Good Morning Miles,
Thank you for replying.
I believe I read elsewhere here that you are in Colorado and that you spent much of you life in Wyoming.? And if I'm reading right, we must be the same age.? Sounds like we're both married, as well.? My wife and I will have been married 10 years come September and though we've been doing our best, we haven't been blessed with children.? We had three spinger spaniels and in January I had to put down the two we still had after our first was left sleeping on the vet's table December 04.? All three are under an old acorn-producing white oak out in the woods.

I've been self-employed since 1989, starting out in Iowa on my own and moving back to the U.P. of Michigan in April 92.? Dad was in poor health and after coming up here from North Liberty when he'd gotten sick several times during the colder months, I saw other construction crews working.? Dad was a carpenter, as well, but winters with lots of snow make making a living hard.?

Since 97 I've had to fight unelected state bureaucrats for the privilege of walking out my front door to make a living.? Dad's office was a small notebook in his front shirt pocket and his contract was his word and integrity.? That no longer suffices and I experienced a new concept in forced-schooling, as well as personal experience with double and triple jeopardy.? In two months time, I expect to learn if jeopardy will be extended another time, or if the sun has set, and I can go about my business.

I believe we also share an interest in gardening.? A window into an addition I put on the house last year has a table by it with 46 tomato plants, transplanted from larger boxes when each plant reached four leaves of growth.? Four or five varieties, cherry and larger, early and late pick.? A closet in the same addition has a bunch of pickles and salsa, as well as jars of plum jam from trees on the border w/our neighbor, and jars of wild rasberry, wild black berry, and farm-picked strawberry.

I'm a third-generation American, from Finnish roots, of which I am proud.? The Soumalainen's history has within it a grain of the saying, "it is easier to conquer than rule".? Several uncles on Dad's side of the family went back to "the old country" to fight when Russia invaded.? There's an old Russian rifle in the family used by my step-grandma's father, a Suominen, that fought on the Soviet side.? There is a large population of Finns here in this part of the country.? Any there in Wyoming or Colorado?? Any Kauppi, Ojala, Wanahapiha, Kangas, or Hyrkas names in the phone book?? Huumo, Hautaaho, Kauppinen and Haarakangas are some of the names in my tree, although my grandfather on Dad's side never new his father, who was killed in a mine.? His mother remarried and the name was changed.? My wife has French and Irish roots, but she's still the best thing that ever happened to me.

I'm a vet, navy, Carter years, nothing to brag about.? Decommissioned the McCain, carried the national ensign during the ceremony, color guard, picked from ship's crew.? I guess John was in attendance, though I didn't know him or talk to him.? My other ship is now razor blades, as well.? I feel old.

College grad, BA, English, Florida (UF) 1987.? Two weeks before graduation, got a call from Mom.? Cancer.? Melanomma.? Mestasized.? Didn't look that word up, finished up, packed up, went hom to the UP to watch her die, Oct 87.? Dad left election day, 2000.? Both Democrats, both held local township office.? So my registration says I'm Democrat.? Voted the lesser of two evils the last two presidential elections.? Stupak, our rep, had my vote first couple elections, lost it, this last election. He said yes to BCFR.

NRA life member. Wife $35 a year member.? Both have carry permits.
No, haven't become a member yet of GOA or any other.? I knew about NRA, only recently, last five years or so have I heard about other groups and only recently became aware of some folks' opinion of the NRA.? They've been around a long time and they do good.? Wife won a knife of the year at an NRA Friends banquet three weeks ago--has a buffalo carving, along with the knife.? Perhaps that says something?

Buddy of mine, last I heard, went to Wyoming.? We were in boot camp together, from same area. Haven't heard from him in years.? Others from this area go there to hunt.? I'm interested, what with banging my head w/unelected bureaucrats and all.? Almost made it there in 84.? Had headed south from the UP to the LP looking for work, headed west on 80 w/Wymoning as a possible goal, stopped in Des Moines for a burger, looked in the paper, saw some work listed, made a call, looked for place, stayed there, never made it to Wyoming.

How likely is it that one would find work in the NW or Hot Springs county?? Wife works in a bank, has been doing so for...15 years or so?? I said I'm a carpenter.? Would rather work for myself.? Any carpenters head to South Dakota from NW Wyoming to work?? Sounds like that Crook County only has 6,000 some people.? Pretty hard to pound nails for anyone if there isn't anyone that wants work done.?

Well, enough of that.? Let's see what happens now.

Hunter

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
Hi Fred,
Hunter here.
1st of all a big.................

"Welcome"

I used ta live in Washington, Ia.  :'(   

Learned ta hate black & gold, as in "how bout dem Hawks"  :)

I returned to WY many years ago  ;D

You'll find well paying work here andl be able to start yer own shop with minimal state interference.

Skilled tradesmen are in demand and skilled workers are in short supply, jobs abound!!!!!!
SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:56:15 AM »
Thank you, Hunter.
Looked at an atlas, day dreaming again.? I think I posted "NW" earlier.? Meant "NE".? I was able to go to Carver-Hawkeye and the stadium, Bo's last year, tie game.? Saw the double OT BB.? I think everyone in the stands heard me hoot when Michigan went ahead at one point.? I know the bench looked up at me.

You hunt, hey.? I do too.? Freezer has a lot of venison.? This past season got a nice 8-pointer, two-and-a-half year old, at least, 50+ pounds of burger. Tree-stand, Tikka T-3 .270 Win, evening, watching a trail, 40 yards, he came crunching into the area, snow crusty.? Earlier I waiting for an hour as 6 does came in and bedded down anywhere from 30-50 yards away.? Try not moving a muscle for an hour.? They moved off and the buck came through just before dark-thirty.? I butcher them myself.? I'll have to check out the CWD.org website.? Know about it?? I know CWD is in that general area, Wyoming included.? No CWD here yet, southern Wisconsin, yes.
Been looking at NE on the map.? National Forest land around there.? Whitetails?? I bow hunt, as well. Addicted.

Does that work outlook include the whole state??

How about housing?? Bought this place in 92 for $6500.? Two br, one bath.? Now it's three br, 1 1/2 bath, attached garage, kennel, deck.? I remodelled another house the last winter.? Bought it for $19,000.00, 3br, 1 bath.? Now has 3br, 2bath, asking $75,000.00 for it.? Hope it sells soon.? Lookers, no takers,? yet.?

Town life would be okay, or anywhere.? Lot of housing around here is old, 50-60-70-80+ years.? Price range runs the gamut from a $10,000.00 nightmare in need of awakening to $350.000.00 shoreline awaiting an infopreneur and they're coming.?

Thanks again.

Hunter

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »
Yeh, that's why they call me Hunter, I hunt, outfitted a bit too.
Jobs are pretty much state wide, housing is going up all over, so are prices. Some areas have had extreme $ jumps because of housing shortages. I've posted several times the statement "snoozers lose". Some believe me, others don't.

Me? I'm here, the price increases only benefit me.

Good whitetail hunting too  :)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 11:16:37 AM »
Hi Fred, and welcome here!

You and your wife sound like just the kind of people we'd
like to have as neighbors.  Few of us are "rock stars" or anybody
spectacular in any way--just average folks with an above-average
desire to live as free as possible.

Come on out to Wyoming sometime for a visit.
Our Jamboree is over Memorial Day Weekend in Worland.

Boston

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »
Thank you, Boston.
The wife is always looking to get away.? We don't do that enough.? I just looked at her work schedule on the calendar.? She has that whole weekend off, works the Tuesday, but she has off again on Wednesday.? I wouldn't have to ask her twice.? And being self-employed gives me some leeway, as well.
Maybe that house I remodelled will sell in time.?

Lots of info on the site here, I'm finding.? Will have to find a way to visit ASAP.

I guess you're the guy who wrote the books?? Have BGB, revised and ML.? I too would have liked to have seen the interviewer's expression when that Finn answered the questions.? Thanks for a good laugh.

Never would have imagined that life would take the turns it has.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:14:15 AM »
Howdy Fred, great reply above. I am 47 years old, live and work in Denver,married, children 16 and 14 ,girl and boy. Miss Wyoming terribly and hope that my work will bring me back to Wyoming in the next few years. I come from German/ Swedish roots but not to familiar with all those cool Finish names you have. Spent 27 years in Rock Springs Wyo. My older Brother spent his youth building homes there and I helped him build two for himself and family. His son is now building homes there and cannot keep up with the demand, they are in another boom and people are living in the motels, campers and tents so if you want to build Wyoming is the place. I am sure the Gillette area has the same demand for your skills and the commutes are easy. My Mom worked at banks and credit unions so I am pretty sure your wife would find work in Wyo too. Gardening is my passion but it seems I have less and less time for it each year. I dream of having a Wyo. greenhouse someday for fun and profit. Hunting is great in Wyo. We always had a full freezer too. Tell your wife that you need a vacation, just around the weekend of the JAM, and come and see us. I'll be the guy in the Ti Pi.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:59:33 PM »
Thank you Miles,
I'm still figuring out this forum, as well as Wyoming.  Visited several city-related websites like Gillette, Worland, Sheridan.  Some of the housing prices are shocking, and enticing.  On the one hand a business opportunity, on the other...well, I'm glad I can swing a hammer.

I've been looking for more info here on this Jamboree people talk about.  I'm sure the info is here, just a matter of finding it.  So, a jamboree is just another way of saying a bunch of you get together, talk, cook a bit over an open fire, and shoot a gun or two? 

Oh yeah, I think I read something about a rifle made prior to 1955?  I've Dad's ole Model 721 Remington, but I don't believe that qualifies.  Seems like everything else I have is black.  It would be nice to live where one could shoot far enough w/what one has one hand.  Around here you'd need more than 80 acres for what I have in mind.  Thought I read that some town even has a long range.

It would be great if my wife and I could get out there for that event. The trip would be a two day affair by car and that doesn't leave us much time, let alone get there for the event.  So if we can make it, I'm guessing it will be last minute and by plane.  If a couple of tourists show up, ask 'em if they know who St. Urho is.  Thank you again.  I'll look for the Ti Pi.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 09:02:00 AM »
Fred, check out the thread at http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=41.0 for conversations about the JAM.   Miles

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 05:28:08 AM »
My wife and I have a trip to Wyoming planned, that is, as long as the Wyoming trail is open to humans.  Discovered that the airline that services this area, Northwest, must not fly directly into Wyoming.  We'll be landing in Billings, renting a car, and heading for Cody to look at that museum with the guns in it.  We've got four nights, I think it is.  Between time deciding on flights and destinations and by the time she called back to reserve one, one flight was booked already.

We're figuring on likely spending a night in Cody, probably, and heading east to check things out.  Will likely spend time in Gillette, another town or two in the NE, probably take at look at that Devil's Tower spot and the surrounding area before heading to Rapid City, where we will depart from four  nights after touching down in Billings.   :)  Yee-haw.

What kind of cell-phone coverage does Wyoming have?  There are areas here that are blank, none at all, my hometown included, down in a valley on a lake.  Governor Granola came up for a visit and couldn't make calls in areas. 

I haven't received my license renewal, yet, from the state, so I suspect I'm going to have to dance again with my state rep and senator.  Want to know what the US would be like w/Hillary at the helm, look at Michigan, the highest unemployment rate, businesses moving, and the Japanese gave Governor Granola some sushi when she went begging for plants over there.  I've had to go round and round with a bunch of ****! bureaucrats, unlected and unaccountable, since 97, just to work for a damn living!  I never would have thought that I'd seriously be considering leaving this place I've that would be great if they'd just leave me the hell alone.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 08:11:26 AM »
Fred, Plan on lots of time at the museum and to look around Cody city. The museum is fantastic !  If you need some info on areas you may be driving through, see my post at
 http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=1929.0 
It has lots of links, just read down to the part where I talk about Cody and go from there. I am sure there are others here who will add info( like about cell service) and even a few you will be able to visit with.
Will this be any time near the JAM time?
Miles

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi Miles,
Leave it to me to figure you all can read my mind.? After I posted I wondered if I said when we're coming.? We can't get down there until the end of June.? I think it's the 27th that we leave/arrive and I know we have four nights, leaving sometime around 3PM, I think your time, from Rapid City.? There's a two hour difference.? We're on the extreme west end of eastern standard (?) time.? Fourth of July fireworks don't go off until at least 10:30PM.

I'd read some posts about maps, BLM and maybe school land maps?? I'd like to pick some of that kind of stuff when we pass through, along with some topo-maps.? I may take the time to stop at some job sites (construction) and talk to the folk there, maybe hit 'em at kafve aiga, though I suspect at that time of the year it's iced tea or Coke.

We ought to pick up a bunch more of information, which is what I need to make plans and any and all advice would be sincerely appreciated.
Thank you!? FR

Offline Fred Rogers

• Social Type
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
First post up above on April 1st.  #67 post here.
My wife and I are passing through your state June 27th and three four days following, coming in from Billings to the north to Cody for a day, museum stop, heading across the north of the state, schedule open, leaving from Rapid City 4 days later, or five?  The wife knows.  We may be able to connect with MamaLiberty.  Anyone else available?

Two days here now, 48 hours I guess, at this site.  Time to go.

I don't have a bobber in the water but I'll check back before we leave.

Bye ya'll.