Author Topic: What are the "must see" places in WY besides the obvious?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline rino451

What are the "must see" places in WY besides the obvious?
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:49:11 AM »
Greetings all,

I've been lurking here for a short while and have developed an interest in WY since reading some of BTP's books. (Thanks for those BTW, BTP!) Anyway, After a brief river trip to Desolation Canon, I'm going to take a motorcycle trip around WY for about 10 days in July. The trip is promarily to get an idea about the lay of the land up there (I'm in Houston) before considering purchasing some acreage. ( probably can't make a move any time soon as the SO has some reservations and other considerations but we're considering buying and holding undeveloped property in the meantime while it's available.) I plan on visiting Crook, Johnson, Niobrara, Platte, Carbon, and Sublette counties and some specific towns therein - mostly the really rural towns. That said I'm probably just going to make a huge loop of the state. I haven't planned on spending any time in Yellowstone but that's certainly optional. Anyway, I just didn't want to miss anything while I was up there. Mostly, I'm interested in visiting areas with affordable and livable land purchase opportunities.

Thanks!

Randall

Hunter

Re: What are the "must see" places in WY besides the obvious?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:48:09 AM »
Greetings all,

I'm going to take a motorcycle trip around WY for about 10 days in July.  I plan on visiting Crook, Johnson, Niobrara, Platte, Carbon, and Sublette counties and some specific towns therein - mostly the really rural towns. That said I'm probably just going to make a huge loop of the state. I haven't planned on spending any time in Yellowstone but that's certainly optional. Anyway, I just didn't want to miss anything while I was up there. Mostly, I'm interested in visiting areas with affordable and livable land purchase opportunities. Thanks! Randall

Yellowstone is a must see! I live here and try to go there about every 2nd or 3rd year. This month I'm going again.

The best lowest cost property in WY is without a doubt in Lusk & Niobrara County! The highest is the Jackson area and all along the western border from Kemmerer north. The resort area of Dubios has gone crazy with the influx of millionaires being pushed outta Jackson by those more affluent than they. Ya oughta hear them bitch  ;)

The farm/agricultural communities areas like Worland, Powell, Torrington, (possibly the Thermop-Riverton?) areas are your next best bet. Gillette-Morecroft- are starting to get pricy due to the mine/RR influx. Land prices here compared to Tejas/Ca/WA & back east are inexpensive. Just don't screw yer self and offer more because of that. However that's up to you & your finances. What's expencive to one may be cheap to another, eh?

Hope this helps,
Hunter/Pete

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:14:17 AM »
Take a look at Weston county too, especially Newcastle. We still have affordable land prices and it is really beautiful here near the Black Hills. It is also close enough to Gillette and other areas where prices are higher and land is becoming harder to find in small parcels - outside fancy developments anyway. Our weather is more moderate than much of the rest of Wyoming too.

We are a  rural area, and the people are very friendly. They've welcomed me with open arms.

PM or email if you would like to talk about it or would like to visit.

Yours, MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:40:10 PM »
Randall, here is my trip outline.  Miles

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum//index.php?topic=1929.0

" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Barry Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:18:19 PM »
Hi Randall,

Consider a beautiful ride through the Wind River Canyon to Thermopolis & Hot Springs State Park.? You can have another beautiful ride over the Big Horn Mountains to Buffalo on the Cloud Peak Skyway (U.S. 16), go north to Greybull & ride through Shell Canyon on U.S. 14, or farther north to Lovell & check out Big Horn Canyon before riding by the Medicine Wheel near U.S. 14A.? I'm in Cody if you make it this far.

Barry
A lie can travel halfway round cyberspace while the truth is logging into its blog.  BT

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »
Hwy 16 between Buffalo and Worland has some of the most incredible, beautiful country I've ever driven through, and is definitely worth the trip alone. I'm still trying to figure out some good excuse to go back through there myself. I'll think of one eventually.  ;D

If possible, take your time and enjoy this trip. I envy you the opportunity.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.