Author Topic: Hi from Libertymom with dogs, cats and kids in tow....  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Libertymom

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Hi from Libertymom with dogs, cats and kids in tow....
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:35:05 AM »
I have so many questions and my thoughts are just rambling on so please ignore the order in which I ask questions.

The Women's Thread sounds great!  My daughter (14) has questions about whether the state allows domesticated pet ferrets. We don't have any yet but she'd really like to have a pair.

I'm a Michigander by birth but in Arizona I'm considered 'Semi-Native'. Both my kids were born in Tucson so they're truly 'Arizona Desert Rats'.  Sterling (13) is in Junior High and Victoria is in High School.  When they were small we lived semi-rural in Avra Valley outside of Tucson.  I was raised in suburbia but really miss the rural lifestyle and the schools in Apache Junction are doing well running themselves as a business protected by the police patrolling the schools.  I was raised a little differently than probably a lot of you because my father was adamant about no weapons in the house (guns, knives, swords, bows....).  My fiance is NorthGunner (Steve Kristmann).  Steve and I are still trying to work out all the logistics to get to the Jamboree.

I'm wondering if you guys can tell us whether Realtors there work on Sunday? Unfortunately, we seem to have problems about getting calls back.  So if anybody out there knows of some land for a hobby farm (30 acres or more) please point us in the right direction.  We want to be as self sustaining as possible but love the idea of bartering with other people there.

I'm wondering about the amount of quilters there and if there is a demand for finishing quilts with a long arm machine?  How much demand is there for embroidery? I have some great ideas for classes and get togethers.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.  Like I said, so many questions.

Libertymom

Hunter

Re: Hi from Libertymom with dogs, cats and kids in tow....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:21:25 AM »
Call WY F&G on the Ferretts, I think they do but better to check.

I've no idea why quilts wouldn't sell and there's always the internet fo a wider customer base.
Don't know bout quilting lessons. Create a demand, eh?

Most real estate agents will work with ya anytime. Selling is how they make their living and they're always trying to sell.

Hobby farm, eh?

Where in WY?

Hunter

MarthaK

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »
Welcome!  I happen to know several people who have ferrets as pets.  No problem here.  When I taught elementary school, one of my students brought one.  (He also brought mice and several different snakes.)  The ferret was a lot of fun.  I know of another woman who has (I think) 7 roaming around her house.  That seems like a lot for me - but hey whatever makes her happy. 

What kinds of quilts are you talking about.  I love to quilt.  It just seems like I don't have enough time.  I am fairly new at it, so I would love a get together.

appaloosablue

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:40:57 AM »
Hi Libertymom,

I spoke with our realtor and she said that she would be more than happy to help you.? She does works Sundays by appointment.? She said that if you are interested in an area that she doesn't have experience that she will make a recommendation for a realtor.? She is part of the WY Board of Realtors.

Jennifer Cruickshank
First Realty of Glenrock(east of Casper)
307-436-2753 Office

She has been great in helping us.? Just tell her that Brandy Dority gave you the information.

As for quilting--I love piecing the tops and binding-- but prefer to have it quilted longarm. :D? I have found with much dismay that most people don't want to pay what the quilts are worth--as least where I live.? The average price for a queen size quilt is $50.00.? Too much of my time and material has gone into my quilts to sell them so cheap---I usually give them away to family/friends or local charities that need a prize for a raffle or an auction.? This works much better for me---One of my quilts(50 x 50) auctioned for $350 at the local Friends of the NRA Banquet.? ;)

Appaloosablue

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:01 AM »
Libertymom, we all hope you can make the move. Minimum acreage for the "agricultural" reduced taxation is 40+ acres so you'll probably want at least that much. The three counties up north of me targeted for initial "settelment" are a lot lower in elevation than Laramie and very well suited to "hobby farming". Right now the yuppies and billionaires in Jackson will purchase all the organic produce they can find especially the upscale restaurants there. Hot selling items like the japanese eggplants, huge vineripe tomatos, large anaheim peppers, habanero peppers, fresh Thai basil are selling as fast as you can get them over there. Do let me know if there is anything I can do for you. b

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »
Liberty mom, here is a link to several realtors.

http://www.wyodex.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?Name=&County=select&Key=Real+estate&x=30&y=17

If I remember right I saw several possible "hobby farms" in there somewhere, but I haven't looked in a while. My brother in law had ferrets in Wyoming but I'm not sure if  there is a specific law about it.   Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

RazorCityRifleman

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »
Welcome aboard Libertymom and our family just loves ferrets, they are great in a red wine sauce with wild rice and steamed asparagus ;D (just kidding)

RCR

MarthaK

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:53:52 PM »
I heard puppy is a similar treat.  ;D

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Offline Libertymom

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 04:37:29 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I want to thank all for their responses and information.  All of you were very helpful. 

Hunter/Pete, Thanks for telling me to check with Wyo. G&F about pet ferrets. It is something that I would have never thought of doing. 

Appaloosablue & Wyomiles,  Thanks for the realtor info.  Hopefully can expand the areas we are currently looking into.  I will definitely mention to Jennifer Cruickshank of First Realty that you referred us to her.  Biathalon,  thanks for letting us know about the tax breaks.  Never thought about niche farming but you may be on to something there.

Selling quilts is a hard one because unfortunately quilts from 3rd world countries come in so cheap to places like WalMart.  The quilting I enjoy doing the most is quilting with machine embroidery involved.  I would like to do some Jenny Haskins quilts in classes.  Her most famous one is The Colour Me Purple and Colour Me Purple Next Generation.  Hopefully showing a new level of quilting at the State Fair will get people to see that it is worth our time and money.

More questions again, does school start after Labor Day?  If we were to plant some fruit and nut trees in an orchard what have you guys found that grows well (but please tell me what county you're in as there may be regional differences)?  Are there County Fairs or just a State Fair? And when are they held?  What is the current price of gas (it's getting obscene here in Arizona)?  I'm sure I'll think of other questions after I've signed off.

Libertymom

Offline Terrible Claw

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 04:43:49 PM »

I'm wondering about the amount of quilters there and if there is a demand for finishing quilts with a long arm machine?? How much demand is there for embroidery? I have some great ideas for classes and get togethers.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.? Like I said, so many questions.

Libertymom

Welcome!  My mother is going to be happy as she meets you if you come to the Jam!  She's made a few quilts herself and does a bang up job making tshirt quilts.  My fave was the one she made for my sister when she was still serving in the Navy.  She used one of my military shirts she did for it... :)
Looking forward to make your acquaintence!

Claw
"It is impossible to mentally or socially enslave a Bible-reading people." - Horace Greeley, 1852

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:35:51 AM »
Libertymom, Here is some links to take a look at.

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/uwces/

http://www.wyomingfairs.org/

http://www.wyomingquilting.com/

http://www.huckleberryfabrics.com/

http://www.quiltguilds.com/wyoming.htm 

http://www.wyomingffa.org/collegiate%20quilt.html

http://www.quilttownusa.com/mom/wholesale/wyoming.htm

We also have a gardening thread at

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=236.0

I had two apple trees in Rock Springs, which was a zone 2-3 area. I believe if you settle somewhere East of the rocky mountains your zones will get warmer and so your choices of fruit and nuts will improve. I advise people to ask other gardeners, in the area  where they are looking to settle, stop at the local nurseries, and look around in the towns at what types of trees are already growing in the area.You can also improve your chances by improving the microclimates. Use windbreaks filled with very hardy trees to protect the more tender ones. Rock walls or mulches soak up the heat during the day and release it at night. ETC.

Biathelon has a great idea. People are always looking for fresh garden goods. And real organic stuff comands a premium price. I have heard that many restaurants will buy garden produce also. I spent 4 years living in the bedroom communities of Aspen ,and I assume Jackson hole would be the same, in that there were many people who sold thier organic goods, and arts and crafts to the "rich folks" and were making good livings at it. Beautiful ,handmade quilts are in ar class by themselves and I think if you let people know you have them for sale you will be able to sell them!   Hope this helps,  Miles

" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Space Cowboy

• Social Type
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »

Selling quilts is a hard one because unfortunately quilts from 3rd world countries come in so cheap to places like WalMart.  The quilting I enjoy doing the most is quilting with machine embroidery involved.  I would like to do some Jenny Haskins quilts in classes.  Her most famous one is The Colour Me Purple and Colour Me Purple Next Generation.  Hopefully showing a new level of quilting at the State Fair will get people to see that it is worth our time and money.

Quilts go for quite a bit here. Mediocre ones go for $250-$500. I haven't seen a really good one yet.......
You shall judge a man by his foes as well as his friends
~J. Conrad

Offline ScottBieser

• FSW Member, In Wyoming
  • I'm here! Where are the rest of you?
ferrets
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 09:11:37 AM »
In case no one else has answered your daughter's question about ferrets as pets, yes, ferrets are allowed as pets here. In fact, I saw some in the Cheyenne PetCo the other day.

From what I've heard there are only two states that don't allow ferrets -- one of them is California and I forget which one the other is, maybe Hawaii.

-- Scott Bieser
Online Graphic novel: Roswell, Texas
Galllery:www.scottbieser.com
Blog: www.bigheadpress.com/TheTimeSink

Offline archy

• FReeper profile at Free Republic.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:55 AM »
I'm wondering about the amount of quilters there and if there is a demand for finishing quilts with a long arm machine?? How much demand is there for embroidery? I have some great ideas for classes and get togethers.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.? Like I said, so many questions.

Libertymom

I can't saw much for quilt finishing but I can tell you that sadly, I lost my grandmother's two heirloom quilts in a cabin fire a couple of years back and will be looking for at least one good one to replace them. And my son, his new wife and their soon-to-be newborn will be following soon, and I expect they'll be looking for quilt finishing assistance shortly upon their arrival. There's nothing like a serious Wyoming winter to get folks to appreciate quilts!

As for embroidery: You night visit the thread here about our FSW mascot and consider some patch or cap work: you see that purple buffalo in the upper right corner of this screen? That's not easily found elsewhere, and ought to be REAL popular at the FSW Jamboree and other FSW gettogethers.
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. After I realized he had no use for his shoes, I took them, and then I felt much better about myself.