Author Topic: Hi from South Carolina  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Longbaugh

• Reader
Hi from South Carolina
« on: April 24, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
Hello everybody, I have been looking at FSW for about a year now and today I finally joined! To tell you a little about myself: I am 22 yrs old and right now I am deployed to kuwait on my 3rd tour with the USAFR. Luckily I am getting home on the 15 of May in time for the Jamboree! I am single and looking at going to a technical school when I get home for: welding, electrician, gunsmith, metalurgy, fabrication, auto-mechanics or anything else that strikes my fancy. My job in the Air Force is Air Transportation which basically involves moving massive amounts of cargo on c-130's, c-17's, 747's ect.. Which gives me a good back ground in heavy machinery and securing loads (and sitting on my but for long periods of time). I was a few clases away from completed a EMT course for our local county but I got activated before the exam so I am not a certified EMT (but I remember most of the important stuff). I worked as a general contractor for a bit over a year so I have some constuction skills, I also worked in the garden center at lowe's for over a year and did some landscaping on the side and I have a bit of a green thumb. I am pretty at good fixing most stuff and I love to shoot! If it involves being outdoors then I am into it, like 4-wheeling, rock climbing, kyaking, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, ect...I am not sure when I am moving to Wyoming but it will probably be in 2007 sometime if everything works out. Anyway thanks for your time and this forum rocks! 
Blessed be the pessimist, for he packs extra ammo.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
Re: Hi from South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:17:36 AM »
Howdy, Longbaugh, Welcome aboard! You sound like just the kind of guy who belongs in Wyoming. Do any of your freinds know about us? Talk about these issues? Let them know we are looking for "a few good men/and women"  ;D One of the other members was looking at starting a school or business related to industrial tech maybe he will let us know how it is comming soon? Most places in Wyoming are always looking for folks to become EMT's. I took the class in Rock Springs many years ago. They were really profesional and fun to hang out with,  but I never finished up either. I'm glad to hear you will be at the JAM  we will have to talk about gardening and the outdoor sports, see ya there. 
Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Richard

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 11:11:41 AM »
Hey,  I'm glad some other young people are interested.  I'm 20 and headed to wyoming within the next month.    See you at the Jam.

Richard

Offline SteveL

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Ex-Kalifornian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:27:41 AM »
Howdy Longbaugh, its good to hear from other freedom lovers in their 20's. Congrats!
You say cynical like it's something bad.

Offline Longbaugh

• Reader
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! ;D I think I am more excited about going to the Jam than I am about geting home from the deployment. Really looking forward to it see you there!

Offline Wheeler70

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 09:16:53 PM »
Hey Longbaugh,
I served in the Navy from 1988-92 and spent most of my time at the Charleston Navy Base in South Carolina.  I hated to hear that the base was closed.  Had many wonderful memories from there.  Will look for you at the Jam

Offline Longbaugh

• Reader
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 10:31:27 AM »
Hey wheeler I am stationed at Charleston AFB and I have spend a little time on the naval base checking out the old buildings and such. One of my buddies and I actually repelled off of the old power station across from the dry docks, it was a hoot!

Offline Wheeler70

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »
Is there much ativity at the old base?  What mainly goes on there now?

Offline Longbaugh

• Reader
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 01:27:25 PM »
There is an active police station there which is near a go-cart course as well as some big building near it that has something to do with military pay. When I was there 4 months ago there rows and rows of up-armored desert tan hummers sitting behind some warehouses across the road from the railroad depo. They had several military ship in dry dock and a few of them had japanese flags on them. About 1 in 20 of the houses on base are occupied but the admirals house and all the other really nice colonial style home's were unocupied. There are a few shops still operating, a boat shop, car mechanics, and several of the larger building seem to be used for some federal offices. There is a website that I frequent that my friends and I have posted photo's on, you will need to register in order to see them but the website is UER.ca it is a website dedicated to the art of urban exploration or infiltration. Basically if it is abandoned or is a really interesting site then you go check it out and take some photo's , for instance we went to an abandoned nuke plant in gaffney SC where they shot the movie "The Abyss." Got some good pics of the decompression chamber and some pics of the set. My handle on that site is the same as the one I use on here but because of the filter on the computers where I am deployed I cannot access it. You ought to check it out there are sights all across the world on it from the catacombs in paris full of bones to an abandoned missle silo in montana?( I think not sure what state)