Author Topic: howdy  (Read 2571 times)

Offline stoky

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
howdy
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:48 AM »
Howdy folks,
I?m a shooter, fisherman, Harley rider, brewer in my 50?s, living in the mountains in Colorado, albeit on the front range :(.  My in laws live in Casper and I have had some wonderful times with my bros in law hunting and fishing there. My wife and I have been considering moving to Wyoming for a little more freedom and to escape the nonsense of Denver and the Glorious People?s Republic of Boulder, since before the FSW project. A couple of things that are keeping us here for now are halfway decent jobs and the expected birth of my first grandchild in August. I?m pretty sure that we will eventually end up in Wyoming. We have a financial plan that includes us moving there for retirement in eleven years, but we will be scheming on moving the date up.
I will be working the Buffalo Creek table at Tanner (typically in the NW section of the show) this Saturday. Please stop by and say hi if you are there.

stoky
Sacred cow makes the best hamburger.
--Samuel Clemens

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Rifleman
Re: howdy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »
Thanks for dropping in!
(is it pronounced "stokey" or "stocky"? ;D)
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Offline stoky

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »
You can call me stokey, but at 230lbs I'm stocky too, so either one would work.  ;D
--Samuel Clemens

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »
Hay stoky, welcome! I too am in Denver, for now. I own some retirement land in Wyoming and am looking forward to the day I can get moved back up there. So what is this Buffalo creek at Tanners ?
 Since you have experience in parts of Wyoming ,be sure you add your stories to some of the threads where others have asked questions about Wyo. Would your in laws find this forum interesting? Tell them to join in the fun.
Have you seen the thread where we talked about brewing?

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=39.0

Talk to ya latter,  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline stoky

• FSW Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »
hello wyomiles,
Tanner is a gun show in Denver at the Holiday Inn at 58th and the valley highway, where I once had the privilege of meeting Boston. Buffalo Creek is a club up by Bailey. The facility was a WW1 era top secret facility where they trained long range shooters. In the '60s (I think it was), some hunters came across the overgrown range, cleared it off and started the Buffalo Creek Gun Club. At the show I will be hawking DCM clinics, 4x for each stage of a DCM match. For $100 for all four clinics, participants are provided with the use of match grade ARs, ammo and coaching from some of the best shooters in the game. At the end of each clinic there is a mini match for that particular stage. The winner gets a free membership to the club, which is how I became involved. If you have your own AR, M1A or Garrand, you can use it if you prefer, but I think the only ammo they can provide is .223 or .30-06. Check with the club before you show up with your own other than .223 rifle and no ammo.
Yea, I have some stories that might be worth the telling. I'll pass the forum info along eventually. My sister in law was somewhat reactionary when she heard of the FSW project, but I think I can bring her around. As business people I'm sure that they can appreciate most libertarian principals. I might mail them Molon Labe when I'm finished with it. The locals call Coloradoans "greenies" (derived from the license plates). They are somewhat resentful of Coloradoans using Wyoming for a playground, understandably so.
I did see the conversation about brewing and I LOLed at the Angry Bastard Ale label.   
--Samuel Clemens

Offline biathlon

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
Stoky, welcome aboard. I'm right up the road in Laramie. Call me if ya want. Maybe hook up to shoot/practice before Fred and "the boyz" show up in may at Guernsey? Norm @ 307-742-4061.

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:52:02 AM »
Welcome, Stoky and family!

You might want to give some thought to the long range potential for the US economy by doing some reading at the Ludwig von Mises website. http://www.mises.org/  Lots of eye openers there.

I am 3, 5, or ? years from official "retirement" age - depending on what the gov-goons do  next, and I decided that waiting until then to move was definitely NOT a good idea. I had a beautiful home in California, almost paid for, and a nearly ideal job bringing in close to $4,000. a month - not bad for an old lady all alone.

But California was increasingly a police state and the cost of living was eating up a great part of what I earned. My savings were losing value every day, and I could see myself living in poverty by the time I finally did retire - if not before! Wonderful reward for a frugal lifetime of work and saving!

So, against all odds and all reason (at least in the eyes of my family and friends), I gave up that wonderful job and sold my home. I had never been to Wyoming and couldn't find a place to rent here, let alone buy (long distance), so I rented a small apartment in Lead, SD for the winter so I could look for a place to buy. What an experience! (Ask me sometime if you want the story of a crazy X-Californian in Lead!)

With the help of God, I found a place in Newcastle, Wy. I bought it, got moved with the help of some wonderful FSW people, and am now ready to start a second career that won't involve bowing down to the state and won't feed the IRS monster! My living expenses here are a tiny fraction of what they were in California, and the freedom is almost impossible to describe!

Don't get me wrong! There are many challenges ahead of me here, and life is definitely not going to be easy. I'm still very much all alone and pretty helpless in many situations as I'm not physically strong. It is frightening sometimes to think about it, and I don't really know what I'm going to do in every potential situation. I'll just have to trust God and, sometimes, my neighbors and friends here.

We have work to do, both to remain free and regain much that has been lost, but it is work well worth spending the rest of my life doing. We don't even all agree on what it will take to do this, but that's ok. I don't ever expect to "retire" now. I'll just gradually slow down until I simply fade away... But, God willing, I'll die free.

Why wait for "someday" to be free?
MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

appaloosablue

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 07:35:04 AM »
Don't get me wrong! There are many challenges ahead of me here, and life is definitely not going to be easy. I'm still very much all alone and pretty helpless in many situations as I'm not physically strong. It is frightening sometimes to think about it, and I don't really know what I'm going to do in every potential situation. I'll just have to trust God and, sometimes, my neighbors and friends here.

We got your back.

Brandy and the gang

Offline MamaLiberty

• Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 01:34:35 PM »
Bless your hearts! I can't wait to get to know you and all the others here. Together we CAN make it.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.