Author Topic: Long-time lurker finally posts  (Read 2545 times)

Offline PaulWy

• Social Type
Long-time lurker finally posts
« on: May 01, 2006, 10:40:30 PM »
Having lurked for about two years, here is my first post. I am in my second month living in Crook County, and just bought my land. I have only ever met two people in FSW; one of whom I met at a preparedness expo at Cashman Field in December '99, the other I met in person today. I prefer reading to posting, but will try to contribute if I can. I moved to Wyoming in the early 1990s and have operated businesses and rental properties here. I mainly work on software development.

What I would point out about FSW is that none of us know how successful this idea is (like the remnant idea of Isaiah/Albert Nock/Gary North). Whose radar did I show up on before today? Greater things are happening than we can see.

I plan to meet up at the Jam. I'll be in the white Chevy with camper, please stop by.

Paul
It is easy to stop one person, difficult to stop one hundred, and impossible to stop one thousand. Jack Stack

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
Re: Long-time lurker finally posts
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »
It's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.   ;)

Welcome to the group, Paul!
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:55:03 AM »
Paul,

Greetings from another software developer.  Mostly embedded code related to storage (F.C., SCSI, RAID).

Steve
No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:53:09 PM »
F.C., is that fiberchannel? That and SCSI, I did a lot of work on before I retired. Was a systems engineer at Sequent. I still remember a joke posted in one of our labs, "WARNING: Do not look into the fiber end with your remaining good eye!"  :D
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:06:13 AM »
Well Howdy Paul, long time no hear from you ! Welcome and let us know about your experiences in Crook County. Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline John

• FSW Associate
  • Wyoming Housing Provider
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
Well that's great! 

Jump with glee,
Now there be three,
Crook County households adjacent to me.

Better than nothing!  I must admit I wish it were more like 10 or even 20.

Offline sbeckman

• FSW Associate
  • FFL Type 01
    • L&M Precision
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
Yes, Fibre Channel.

Worked for about 4 years at a startup that went bad (Gadzoox, killed by bad marketing and management) and wound up at Braodcom working on a FC switch (ASIC back clean, product release imminent, killed by internal advocates of iSCSI).  >:(

Saw a similar poster back at GTE Lenkurt (70's-80's) when I worked on ESI laser trimmers and a CO2 laser scriber. 

CAUTION: Do not look into beam with remaining eye!
Still good advice!  :D

I've heard the name Sequent, but no idea what they do.
No, I'm not cynical. Oh No.
www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/
FFL Type 01

Offline PaulWy

• Social Type
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 09:35:21 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your kind welcome. I am enjoying Crook County very much. I have now met a couple of (which is to say both) other FSW people here, and find they are going to be good neighbors. I have also met many other people here, and I do not have a bad thing to say about any of them. Sometimes finding and buying property can expose one to unpleasant people and experiences, but my experience here has been the best.

Thanks for the limerick(?), John. I plan to stop by your work soon to say hello. As for the additional neighbors, I think they will show up when they figure out how good a life they can have in this scenic, opportunity-full place. Some people need to see the pioneers don?t always get arrows in their backs.

As for all you close-to-the-metal coders, somebody has to do it but it isn?t my field. I stick to the applications that non-computer people can understand (or at least use).

Paul
It is easy to stop one person, difficult to stop one hundred, and impossible to stop one thousand. Jack Stack