Author Topic: So, what about Laramie?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline ZackSkrip

• Rather Interested
So, what about Laramie?
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:00:02 PM »
K. so I was on this salary calculator and it said that it was nearly a 1:1 ratio for how much I would need to make (actually I could even take a cut and still be equal), which bodes well for me getting out there.

So, I'm interested in shooting sports (duh), academic libraries (Yes, I'm one of those), coffee shops, church stuff (somewhat more liturgical--anglican, RCC, EO). I'm single (23yrs old), and I see that there is a healthy amount of single people.

The last little bit I have lived close to a big(ger) city, but as long as I can do big-city stuff within 2 hours I'm pretty happy (don't need that too often).

So, yeah, I'm not horribly stereotypical, but I am just a college-type guy, who loves to talk about important stuff and get out and socialize some. Laramie seems to be within my price range and fit some of my other criteria.

As to they question, does laramie seem to be a fit, or should I look elsewhere? If so, where? Oh, and if I joined the FSW would that mean I would get kicked around the state like the book said? which is cool, I guess, but I would like to know ahead of time.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Zack

Offline ZackSkrip

• Rather Interested
Re: So, what about Laramie?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 11:02:33 PM »
Oh, and I just found out there is a company out there that I could probably get a job at (BiolifePlasma), so that too bodes well.

I have worked for them up here and they loved me, so I could probably get some good references if I asked.

Zack

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:43:51 AM »
Laramie is a college town, and thus quite liberal.
But the girls are cute...
Cheyenne, Ft. Collins, Boulder, and Denver are all
an easy drive away, if you need a bigger city fix.

If you're coming to the Jam, then check out Laramie
during your trip.

I don't think we've anybody in Laramie yet...

Oh, and if I joined the FSW would that mean I would get kicked around the state like the book said? which is cool, I guess, but I would like to know ahead of time.
lol

OK, I'll try to give you some warning before I move you about
like a chessboard pawn!   8)

Boston
[/color]

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 07:37:50 AM »
Laramie is a college town, and thus quite liberal.

Well, only relative to the rest of Wyoming.  :)

As an example, Laramie is the only town in Wyoming with a smoking ban:
http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/more.asp?StoryID=102209
http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2004/11/21/news/wyoming/ed60796c7bc9713a87256f52007bb581.txt

However, the ban was fought tooth and nail, and only narrowly passed a referendum. And there is a lawsuit contesting the vote due to irregularities.

The one article mentions Casper City Council passed a ban, but it was subsequently thrown out by the voters.

So yeah, Laramie is more "liberal", but it ain't San Francisco.   :D

BTW, the one time I stopped there to look it over, a couple of years ago, there was a front page article in the Laramie Boomerang (strange name for a paper) celebrating the shooting sports.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:39:25 AM »
Whaddya mean"We don't have anyone in Laramie yet" ? Check yer PO box in Ignacio. b