Author Topic: Hi from South Carolina / Africa  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Jason

• Rather Interested
Hi from South Carolina / Africa
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:29:40 AM »
I?ve been checking out this forum since it was opened and reading a few posts her and there and am now finally joining. I?ve been interested in the whole Free State idea since I first found out about the Free State Project in NH, and then Christian Exodus (Same Liberty idea but w/a Christian emphasis and moving to South Carolina ? go to www.christianexodus.com and let me know what you guys think of it ? I heard about it from my Pastor in the States.), but when Boston started Free State Wyoming I knew it was the right one if any were.  I?m young (only 18) and was only introduced to the whole libertarian ideology and freedom/militia movement about 1 ? yrs ago. I?ve read Boston?s Gun Bible, as well as his You & the Police and Molon Labe. After reading Molon Labe, I knew his idea could work.

Since then I have officially decided to join (I have joined in my mind), but b/c I?m overseas at the moment I can?t send in the S.O.I. until I return to SC this summer. From there I will actually be coming to Wyoming to attend a 1 month guide & packer school and then hopefully get in job in that area (as a big game guide/packer in the Rocky Mts.)

By the way, Hunter / Pete, I noticed in a past post of yours that you said as well as being a hunter you had been an outfitter for a little while. Is that right? Maybe you can let me know a little bit about that job industry in WY and how that job works as a Freedom Seeker in WY as I will be going into it soon.

So I will be in WY soon, but after that month of training I don?t know if I will actually be working in WY (I?ll try, of course, but if I can?t find a job in WY I could work in any of the NW Rocky Mt. States). But I will still be in the area and plan to only work as a guide for a couple of years or so, so if I don?t have a home in WY while I?m working as a guide (which I hope to get but might not work if I?m working in another state) then I will still begin living there year-round in a few years (well before 7 years from now, the S.O.I. deadline). And, I?ve heard that as a new guide you usually don?t work in the summers so I may get a house in WY to live in  for the summers. At least if I don?t have work I do plan to stay somewhere in WY for the summers.

I hope to make my home somewhere around Crook County (it seems really nice from pics I?ve seen but I?ll be checking out everything more this summer) but I?m sure there?s not job opportunities there as a guide or packer (if anyone knows of any, let me know), but that?s fine b/c I hope to become self employed after I get a place to live.  I?ve started a few small businesses/business ventures here at my school in Africa and have done well with all of them so I should have no problem with that. I?m naturally a business person.  And if not, I have quite a bit of woodworking experience and will have horse experience by that time, so I?m sure I could find some carpentry work or ranch work as well if nothing else works out.

Sorry I won?t be able to make it to the jamboree though as I will still be here in Africa at that time. Would come if I could. And sorry this is so long.

P.S. or "Jay" - if that looks more like a real name to you  ;) - its the pronunciation that counts, not the spelling. So spell it how you like; doesn't bother me b/c they both sound identical. And FYI I'll just sign as "J" from now on so I hope the one letter name doesn't bother anyone. I think it looks cooler.
SP76

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war."

appaloosablue

Re: Hi from South Carolina / Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:41:06 AM »
Hello J,

Welcome :D

What kind of school are you attending in Africa? 

It's great to know that there are thinking teenagers out there. 

Appaloosablue

Hunter

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:33:47 AM »
I will actually be coming to Wyoming to attend a 1 month guide & packer school and then hopefully get in job in that area (as a big game guide/packer in the Rocky Mt's.)

By the way, Hunter / Pete, I noticed in a past post of yours that you said as well as being a hunter you had been an outfitter for a little while. Is that right? Maybe you can let me know a little bit about that job industry in WY 

PM E mail me.
But be advised "making a living" year around as an guide/packer is not easy.  One must be flexible and ready to jump on an opportunity. Outfitting is financially challenging as it is tourism related and regulated by most states not forgetting the gov'ts intervention & fees if using federal lands.

BEEN THERE DONE THAT  :'([/b]

Hunter
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:55:58 AM by FSW Forum Administrator »

Offline SteveL

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Ex-Kalifornian
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:57:52 AM »
Hello J, welcome to the forum! Where in Africa are you? I had some friends who went to Ghana for awhile. You there for missions or business or?

Ex-Kal
You say cynical like it's something bad.

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:55:50 AM »
Yes, the state government has been regulating the guide business more heavily recently.  :(

J, I'd advise flexibility. You are young and not tied down yet  ;)  so just look at the energy business or something like that to get located, and get yourself a home base in Wyoming. Get the feel of the place, and see what you can about the outfitting business while working in that other area. You probably need to build up contacts anyway before getting into it - I don't know but I'll bet a lot of that business is done word-of-mouth.

Now's the time to get working and located in Wyoming, because the jobs are available.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Jason

• Rather Interested
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
For those of you who asked - I am attending a high school boarding school - am almost finished with my senior yr. in high school  :); both my home and school is near Nairobi, the capitol of Kenya, which is in East Africa. I am here b/c my parents are missionaries here. My dad's a teacher - teaches local pastors here. I'll be back this summer. My home in the States at the moment is SC, but as I said before I am heading to WY. See ya there! If you are interested in more info about Africa, feel free to PM me.

J
SP76

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war."

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:59:51 PM »
Welcome J!

You've already an interesting life story to tell, and
it will no doubt become even more so in Wyoming.

You seem a bright, well-spoken, and adventurous
young man, and I wish you a grand time here.

And thanks, btw, for your kind praise of my work
and vision for the FSW.  I am honored by the association
of those who have joined me for a Wyoming future.

Regarding Christian Exodus, I'm broadly familiar with
them, but haven't thoroughly read through their
entire site.  Their mythology about the Constitution:

It is evident that the U.S. Constitution has been abandoned under our current federal system...

... the State's sovereign authority retained under the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

...is widely held, but no less inacurrate...and futile.

I wish they'd read my Hologram of Liberty or Gary North's
Conspiracy in Philadelphia.  (We've a great thread on this.)

What they are actually attempting to accomplish is a not a 1790 era
state, but a pre-1781 Christian colony.  They've utterly no chance
under the federal system, and secession is their only rational hope
because of the theocratic nature of their intended government.

The USG would allow a libertarian Wyoming much sooner than a
theocratic South Carolina, simply because statism is actually a religion
and the feds are much more threatened by such "apostates."

I.e., it's one thing for libertarians not to worship the god of state, but
Christians worship another god entirely, and the statists have never
been able to accept that.

In summary, I'm all for localism and regionalism, and wish success for
any group which tries to offer a free market alternative.  CE may turn
out to be the biggest free state movement yet.

Boston

[/color]