Author Topic: Figuring it out  (Read 1920 times)

mikeyali1776

Figuring it out
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:33:26 PM »
I still have two more years until I finish my history/econ degree here at the University of Idaho.  I am 25, a former Marine and a man that prizes freedom more than anything else.  I had intended to try New Hampshire until I heard about Wyoming being another FSP state.  My fiancee is all about this idea as well.  We have pretty much decided on Crook County because of the fact that there are trees and lots of green goodness.  I have been looking at land in Sundance online since I am still in Idaho, and perhaps I am biting off more than I can chew here but I cannot accept living on less than 40 acres.  Problem is that I am still a college kid and barely getting by at that.  I know I can free up a few hundred bucks a month after I get my M14 and would rather put it into something as productive as land.  I guess where I am going is that I am having a hard time believing that the best deals on land I can get are online.  Where can I go about getting my 40+ acres at a reasonable price?  What IS a reasonable price in Crook County? 

Semper Fi,

Mike

appaloosablue

Re: Figuring it out
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »
I'm not there yet, but from what I can gather from my husband(there already), realtors and others is that the best land deals are word of mouth.? You need to be there or have someone watching for you.? The realtors I spoke with said that people who are selling big chunks of land usually don't use realtors because they don't need the extra help to sell the land--it sells itself.?

Maybe the best thing to do is find members in Crook and have them watch out for you.

Brandy

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:47:25 AM »
Welcome Mike !!  Glad you found us.  I think Brandy is right on. If you get some time this summer you should plan a trip over there and look around some.(how about the Jam? is school out by then?) If we are all lucky we might be able to put together some sort of a deal to buy a large parcel and devide it up. I know many of us have talked about that and maybe someday we will make it happen. For now get that degree first and then get to Wyoming. In two years there will be much more progress so stay tuned. By the way get that fiancee of yours on here, the FSW women would welcome her.  Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline SteveL

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
  • Ex-Kalifornian
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! I'm 25 and spent most of my teen years growing up in Idaho. I like the idea of freedom lovers moving to Wyoming and making a go of it, prefer the West myself. Hope it all works out for ya.
You say cynical like it's something bad.