Author Topic: Relocating from Louisiana.......  (Read 3817 times)

Offline HappilyEverAfter

Relocating from Louisiana.......
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:46:13 PM »
Hi......Im so very interested in moving to Wyoming. I actually have found land to buy at the BB Brooks Ranch in Casper....its gorgeous!!
Anyhoo, I have a few questions..I have been trying to find these answers all day, so anyone with any kind of help please do so:)

See.. Im a black woman with kids...and I need to know what are the race relations like in Wyoming? Are there any black people in Wyoming? Are the people friendly? Are they prejudiced? Will they treat me  and my kids differently? This so imprtant to me.....cuz I dont want my kids spit on or teased or treated badly by teachers.......And I dont want to feel unwelcomed!!

I know there will always be a few fools...lol...but what I want is the general vibe of Wyoming.......the overall picture.

Also what is there to do?  What is there for kids to do?  And what adult activities are there? Are there any urban places/restaurants/nightclubs?

Please...somebody help me out.......

I appreciate it sooo much.....thanks yall......Peace and Love...

MarthaK

Re: Relocating from Louisiana.......
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Welcome!

While I don't know much about race relations in Casper, it really isn't an issue here in the SW part of the state.  We are more concerned about the ethics and morality of the individual.  The general vibe - Work hard and keep your nose clean.  As for urban places  ??? someone else is going to have to help you there.  I think I've been out of urbania too long to know what is even there. LOL

Hopes this helps.

Martha

appaloosablue

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:30:30 PM »
Race issues---personally I don't see race I see personal actions.

I think if someone makes a big deal about their 'race' others will do the same be it good or bad.

Can't speak about WY specifically cause I'm not there yet.

I'll take a stab at activities though:? hunting, fishing, archery, shooting, boating, hiking, trapping, painting, drawing, sewing, quilting, reloading, 4-H, raising animals, horsemanship, falconry, gardening, reading, biking, swimming........................................
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:06:37 PM by appaloosablue »

MarthaK

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »
I'll take a stab at activities though: hunting, fishing, archery, shooting, boating, hiking, trapping, painting, drawing, sewing, quilting, reloading, 4-H, raising animals, horsemanship, falconry, gardening, reading, biking, swimming........................................

Are these urban activities?  :D

appaloosablue

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
About as urban as I'm willing to get. ;)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
from Happily:
See.. Im a black woman with kids...and I need to know what are the race relations like in Wyoming? Are there any black people in Wyoming? Are the people friendly? Are they prejudiced? Will they treat me  and my kids differently? This so imprtant to me.....cuz I dont want my kids spit on or teased or treated badly by teachers.......And I dont want to feel unwelcomed!!
Welcome here, first of all.

I've spent months in Wyoming all told, and although there aren't
many black people there, those who are seem just as hard-working
and honest as white folks...and I never saw any bigotry.

Really, I cannot imagine that your children would be treated any differently.

All Wyomingites ask is that newcomers pull their own weight, honor
their word, and not be busy-bodies.

A personal visit to Wyoming would give you the best perspective, obviously.

Boston
[/color]

Offline HappilyEverAfter

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »
first i want to thank all yall who have replied...and say that i look forward to more........

im not one to make my race an issue.......i was just asking cuz there are others who will........at this moment i live in an entirely white neighborhood and town....the local highschool just had an integrated prom 2 yrs ago....and theres still an all white pool........ ::) ::) ::)

seems very ass backwards i know...and it is....but still with all those things i wouldnt go so far to say this town is racist. its peaceful and we can still leave our doors unlocked at night.....can leave keys in ur car when u go the store....its soo safe....

so whites and any other races do not bother me.......AT ALL.......

im looking for a change of pace....i need a change of pace....

if any one has any info on the BB Brooks Ranch please post that too.........

again, thank yall so much...Peace and Love

ps...im assuming that there is very little crime..hoods.....gangs.....am i right?

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 06:35:59 PM »
Yeah, there are lots of guns and gun owners, so that means there ain't much crime.  ;D

My wife is Chinese and gets along great with everyone we've met in Cody. Race simply is not an issue, although culture is (her friends there are always bugging her to teach them to cook Chinese).  :)

Here is my friend Quincy OrHai's take on it:

1. No one is going to take you, or your political beliefs and arguments, seriously in a western rural county until you have "proved up" (an idiom left over from the gold rush days). Usually this takes at least five years, although there are some western counties where, unless you marry in, you'll likely never be completely accepted (these are the exception, and are usually related to ethnic tensions - i.e. hispanic / indian / mormon / hutterite. etc vrs. anglo). Interestingly, (non-statist) blacks and jews are especially welcome in the rural west. I think we are seen as a sort of "spice" added to the local flavor.

So, don't be a statist!

The whole thing is worth reading actually:
10 Keys to Effective Western Politics

My opinion? Take Martin Luther King's advice:
I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

That is, forget your race. Worry about your character, your reputation. If you do that, you'll do well in Wyoming.
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline havoc1969

• Social Type
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »
Happily,

sorry I haven't replied earlier, thus a busy life precludes it some days...

I move here to Casper from NJ back in 1996.  I have never looked back.  I grew up in an area of the city where blacks and whites were mixed, as were my friends.  I can truly tell you that you will not have a problem here.  If you would like, keep in contact with me and I can show ya around a little.  Feel free to pm me here or add me to your messenger and I will try to answer anything your heart desires!!

take care, and welcome to the cowboy state...

Hunter

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 08:46:39 AM »
Hi......Im so very interested in moving to Wyoming. I actually have found land to buy at the BB Brooks Ranch in Casper....its gorgeous!!
Anyhoo, I have a few questions..I have been trying to find these answers all day, so anyone with any kind of help please do so:)

See.. Im a black woman with kids...and I need to know what are the race relations like in Wyoming? Are there any black people in Wyoming? Are the people friendly? Are they prejudiced? Will they treat me? and my kids differently? This so imprtant to me.....cuz I dont want my kids spit on or teased or treated badly by teachers.......And I dont want to feel unwelcomed!!

I know there will always be a few fools...lol...but what I want is the general vibe of Wyoming.......the overall picture.

Also what is there to do?? What is there for kids to do?? And what adult activities are there? Are there any urban places/restaurants/nightclubs?

Please...somebody help me out.......

I appreciate it sooo much.....thanks yall......Peace and Love...

I live in Douglas 50 mi from Casper.
We've a few black's in town and Casper has a few. Cheyenne has the most because of the USAF base. Your skin color won't be a big factor, unless you want it to be. OK?

#1, your skin color will make little or no difference to most, your attitude towards others will. Wyoming has a upbeat outlook in general. Yes you will find those who are pregudicial agains blacks, browns, some religions, ect. Human nature.
Most wyoming cities are people of mixed backgrounds and of places other than Wyoming. In fact you'll see bumperstickers saying; "Wyoming Native" and others saying "Wyoming Immigrant". To most they mean little or nothing and are treated as jokes. What counts out here is how you treat your neighbors, good, bad, or indifferent. Most will reciprocate in kind.
Lots of adult activities, places to go, but outdoor activities are king. You'll find resturants from Gag & Volmits to very nice places, but you must get used to "Cowboy Formal" which means jeans and sport jacket with or without the Stetson or Resistol hat.? ;D

Oh yeh, you'll be treated differently, everybody new is? ;)

Hunter

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 09:07:46 AM »
Happily, Welcome !!
I spent 27 years in Wyoming ,mostly the western half, my younger brother went to college in Casper and loved it. I believe you will find most folks in Wyoming to be very freindly, as others have said above ,people in Wyo. look for who you are,how you act ,rather than the color of your skin. One town I am very familiar with is Rock Springs, in the South West corner of the state. It is known as the melting pot of the state because over the last hundred or so years there have been at least 56 different nationalities living there and their decendents are still there. Diversity is everywhere ,just the way it is in Rock Springs.
 Statisticly speaking, blacks make up less than one % of the total population in Wyoming.
However I must tell you that the first black person I ever met was in Wyoming. And I have to admit I was a little nervous but he and his brother became two of my best friends . They loved growing up there and are still there,almost 50 years now.

Casper has a college, so besides having the local kids, there are kids from all over the world there, the same is true in Laramie ,where the university is. If you have not already done so go to this web site ( http://www.casperwyoming.org/  ) and look at all Casper has to offer. (There is a link below the picture ,don't miss it.) There are tons of things to do. If you really need a weekend in the big city, Denver is just South of you a few hours. Take your time and look around this forum also, there is lots of info here :  http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?board=6.0
So have you been to wyoming yet or just seen the BB ranch on line? Be sure you check it out before you buy it, if you can't make it to Casper yourself I am sure someone in the area would be glad to go there and check it out for you, send you pictures etc. Just ask if you need any help.  (havoc1969 for instance)

Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline HappilyEverAfter

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »
again, just thank yall so much..........yall have made like most of my fears just melt away. i feel very confident in my decision.....and im so darn excited.  ;D

i like the thought of a place where hard work and ethics earn you respect. i think thats all anyone can ask for...just a fair shot. because if you are of good character you have nothing to worry about...........

shucks, i wish i could move sooner.

thanks for the links yall posted and thanks for offers for me to pm you. i will do that, just gimme some time cuz im a mom of 3 :o

someone asked if id checked out the BB Ranch..my answer is no. i saw the ad on tv and then looked it up online. i was impressed, but once they threw in only 10% down with no qualifying, i figured that regardless of whatever it was a helluva good deal. being a land owner is mind boggling to me and it would make me feel so good....just sooooo good about myself. id be proud.........my mama would be proud so ive got to do it.

still, while im on the subject,could yall tell me what to look for when buying a ranch? understand that i am from the swamps of south louisiana ...lol.....and dont know the first thing about ranches. im gonna purchase some regardless, but id sure like to know what to keep my eyes open for.......

i feel very welcomed here...thanks

peace and love

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:34:16 AM »
Happily, here is the thread of those who are living in the Casper area. 

http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php?topic=170.0

Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785