Author Topic: local volunteerism by FSWers  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Boston

• FSW Founder
  • FSW Rifleman
    • Javelin Press
local volunteerism by FSWers
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »
A friend of mine recently offered a great idea:

That we visibly be seen helping out in our local Wyoming
communities. 

He suggested clean-up crews. 

Fire suppression would seem an obvious opportunity during summers.

Remember, we must first sell ourselves before we can sell anything else.
I've long seen how generous many FSWers are, and our local neighbors need
to see that spirit shine.

The FSW's sort of sub-motto is "We want to be good neighbors and have good neighbors."

Helping out, visibly, will go a long way in proving our intent.

Boston

Hunter

Re: local volunteerism by FSWers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
space cowboy & I discussed that I dea some time ago. I suggested FSW could enrol in the "adopt a hwy" program and clean several miles of different highways. The WYDOT puts up several signs Telling passerbys the hwy as been "ADOPTED BY "X". The signs ale large enough to be read by drivers & passingers alike at 75 mph.

"The NextX mile(s) of this highway is cleaned by
? ? ? ? MEMBERS OF FREE STATE WYOMING"

A COOL EASY IDEA eh?? ;D? ;D? ;D? ;D

Offline Jared

• Wolverine
  • FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • FSW Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:05:06 PM »
I was out with the Sundance Rod & Gun Club this evening cleaning up our portion of a "sponsored" highway (4 mile stretch). 
Walking through that waist- and chest-high grass in the ditches really did a number on my allergies! :o

The club meets to clean twice a year, in spring and fall.
Seems like a fair deal for some exposure.

Another idea would be some sort of "trail maintenance" that could possibly be arranged with the Forest Service(?).
"Nothing good in life comes but at a price. Sweetest of all is liberty. This we have chosen and this we pay for."

Hunter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
I was out with the Sundance Rod & Gun Club this evening cleaning up our portion of a "sponsored" highway (4 mile stretch).?
Walking through that waist- and chest-high grass in the ditches really did a number on my allergies! :o

"chest-high grass"? :o
OMG, Didja see any Rattlers?? ;)

Offline biathlon

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 05:43:22 AM »
Volunteerism here is probably gonna be fire fighting. Man, I sure hope everyone's careful with the fire works this weekend. b

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 11:12:04 PM »
I saw a good-sized fire started in the Cascade Mountains here in Oregon on July 4th, years back, by some idiot with a rocket and no sense. Prime Doug Fir timber, up in smoke!  :o
Laws turn men into slaves.

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »
I kinda like the idea of everybody volunteering in whatever organizations there are that presently exist, eg. fire, search n rescue, Boy Scouts, Rotary Club, churches, Fair grounds, Rod n Gun club (See Jared's Post).? FSW would kind of be a vehicle to encourage the Freedom mind set folks to get (t)here and to welcome the new folks when they arrive.?

Boston mentioned in another area of the board that basically FSW is apolitical but the people that move here are bringing the right spirit and/or mentallity to move Wyo in the right direction politically.

Regards, Dr. Dan
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed

Offline Wyowoman

• Mover and Shaker
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 01:14:17 PM »
Here in our little corner of WY I'm a member of the Ladies' Shooting Club (does that count?), and a sorority that does some charity work as far as having some scholarships for some high school students and doing highway cleanups, etc.     Planning on joining the Friends of the Library too, should be fun with such a left leaning manager there  ::)     

I've just realized I've never seen anything regarding Girl Scouts here (don't pay much attention since we've got all boys).  That might be a good thing to get started.  We do have 4H though and it might be too much for some. 

Also, there's volunteering at hospitals and senior citizen centers.  For church goers, any  help offered for vacation Bible school in the summertime is always appreciated by those who are leading (help with snacks, working in a nursery, teaching, helping build sets for plays, etc.).   This list could get quite long, one could volunteer for those programs that teach adults to read, volunteering tutoring services, etc., and so on......

Kim

Kim
?Political correctness is really a subjective list put together by the few to rule the many?a list of things one must think, say, or do. It affronts the right of the individual to establish his or her own beliefs.? Mark Berley, Argos, Spring 1998

Offline Danl

• FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 06:12:38 PM »
Kim,
Not trying to snoop, BUT what little corner of Wyoming are you folks in?? Do you like it there etc etc? ???

Dr Dan
Alea iacta est, Molon Labe!
"I can see the faces of those who died when I refused to fight for freedom!"? Mefford
"Danl, Not an invader and liberator of Wyoming, but rather a refugee from the tyranny of Illinois."
Blog: Shall Not Be Infringed