Author Topic: Howdy everyone.  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Chris

• FSW Rifleman
  • FSW Founding Member, Wyoming Bound
Howdy everyone.
« on: July 13, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I?m a former FSP member (my wife and I had opted out of all but the triad states since my wife and I both prefer to live in the mountains rather than beach, desert, prairie, etc.) After the NH vote, we stepped up our research on ID, MT and WY. We?ve since ruled out ID, but have been split on MT or WY since. We like both states, but since we want to settle on 20+ acres, we?re leaning towards MT, which seems significantly cheaper than WY. It?s hard to get a real feel for what it?ll cost from 1,000 miles away though (I live near Reno, NV for now.) Perhaps people who are already there can help us find something more affordable.

We?ve been to MT (I have some family in Missoula and Bozeman), but we?ve only seen very tiny amounts of WY, both of us long ago en route to other places. 

I?m currently considering a career change, and we?re thinking about going to Sheridan so I can go to school for 2 years (I?m thinking about the nursing program at Sheridan College), but have a bit of trepidation about managing living with going back to full-time school.

In any case we?ve been wanting to try and make it to a Jam, but haven?t been able to afford either the time or $ for a trip to Crook County (not to mention the difficulty traveling with an 18-month old & another one on the way!) We?re hoping to try and make a trip in the first half of next year, since we want to decide where we?re going and then move by the end of 2007. Maybe we can try and make the 2007 Jam.

Chris

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.<br />-Unknown

Offline MamaLiberty

• FSW Founding Member, In Wyoming
  • Self ownership/ personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty.org
Re: Howdy everyone.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
Welcome!

Most of us have gone through pretty much the same process of trying to figure out what to do, and from long distance. You will find a lot of help and encouragement here, so don't hesitate to ask your questions. Read as much as you can of the archives too, since we've all pretty much asked the same questions ourselves.

Land prices are relative, of course. I don't know just what you have planned for that many acres, but it's certainly possible to find a piece that big here in Wyoming. The real challenge is to find the 5 and under lots that aren't in some subdivision and loaded with covenants, etc. Just don't rely on what's available "on line," because you will miss seeing MOST of what is available at reasonable cost. The on-line listings are the high end and tourist attraction stuff. Real homestead type properties are not usually listed. Unfortunately, you almost have to BE HERE to find and take advantage of the real deals. If you can find a good realtor, you'll have half the battle licked.

I looked at MT for a long time myself, having many good friends there, but finally settled on Wyoming as much for the support of the FSW bunch as the weather. Montana weather is brutal, and I sure would not want to take young children into it myself.

Good luck with your nursing goals. I've been an RN for nearly 20 years. The nursing shortage is just as bad here as anywhere, so you will be sure of employment, no matter what area you decide to pursue. If I can help you in any way, please don't hesitate to ask.

MamaLiberty
It's not that people are dumber, it's that stupidity used to be more painful.

Offline wyomiles

• FSW Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:44:48 PM »
Welcome Chris and family !  Glad to have you aboard. I lived in Wyoming for 27 years and have 10 acres near Pinedale. I think there are some larger parcels near Casper that are affordable but I haven't seen them personally. As Mama L says I am sure you will find many fine folks here ready to help you with all your questions about Wyoming.    Miles
" Cultivators of the earth are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bonds" --Thomas Jefferson --1785

Offline Paul Bonneau

• Member, In Wyoming
  • Administrative Staff
    • Wyoming Liberty Index
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »
Welcome, Chris!

Good folks in both Montana and Wyoming. The cultures in both states are good too. Montana tends to have more leftish types, and used to be a labor stronghold. The laws tend to be worse up there, but apparently are not enforced quite as much, and I get the impression people there are less inclined to obey them than in Wyoming. Have to see on that statewide smoking ban though; that was pretty bad.

You do really need to get up here to see, and once you do there is nothing keeping you from moving again if you want.
Laws turn men into slaves.